Trying to be a better singer

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
Half the fun of playing the ukulele is singing the lyrics, so I like to sing when I play. I'm trying to improve my singing voice. My budget does not allow private singing lessons, so I am relying on the internet for helpful suggestions. One thing I would like to do is play the scale on my uke. Do re mi fa sol la ti do. Do you know what the chords for the scale would be? It is supposed to be played on a piano but alas all I have is my ukulele. I would be starting with a C chord for "do" (as in do re mi) Any other suggestions for improving my singing voice will be appreciated. I love this forum.

I just figured out the chords for the scale.

Last edited:
Join a chorale or your churches' worship chorus? A good one will teach better techniques and vocal exercises. To be honest if you aren't getting instruction than just work on songs done by folks known to have good technique and try to emulate their sound. Don't do vocal drills if you don't know what the result should be for a successful drill. If possible, take a lesson with a teacher willing to give you a one-off and an appraisal of what you need. Voice is easy to misuse and misrehearse. Bad vocal technique can leave you with strain or worse, nodes--something that can require surgery and a complete cessation of singing for the rest of your life. Even with good technique, a lot of use can still lead to these nodes--essentially a callus on the fold of your cords.

Note, I am assuming that you plan on singing regularly (several times weekly) for an extended period of time--30 minutes or so. If you sing a couple times of week, injury is less likely, but so is improvement. It's a lot like working out. When your voice is tired, it's time to stop. When it hurts stop. When it feels like you are buzzing like an amp, you're doing it right, with nice resonance.

Last edited:
+1 for joining a choir. I joined a choir abt 2 years ago and my singing has come on tremendously since then. Plus singing in a choir is fun.

+1 for joining a choir. I joined a choir abt 2 years ago and my singing has come on tremendously since then. Plus singing in a choir is fun.
I love singing and have sung in choirs all my life - great fun to sing with others, and good exercise, too. Thoroughly recommend it.

Top Bottom