? Mic your uke for live performance and sing also? What's your rig like?

GASguy

Reaction score
I use a good vocal mic, a Shure beta 58A, on a pro quality boom stand for live vocals.

I am considering buying an instrument mic for my ukes.

What would you recommend as a good quality ukulele mic, and what type of stand would you recommend to mic ukes?

I guess the choices would be a second boom stand, one for vocals and one for ukes, a straight mic stand for ukes, although I don't know how well that would work, or a goose neck adapter that would clamp on my existing boom stand for the uke mic.

I usually play and sing standing and frequently use a music stand for sheet music.
Any input, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

I have played standing using a mic but find it much easier with a pickup in my ukulele/guitar. I have a K&K Twinspot in my Mya-Moe and it sounds very natural, has great volume without feed back and I do not have to worry about standing in front of the mic when I am not singing.

Mitch

I move around a lot when playing and singing so I hate using a mic on the instrument and prefer a pickup, preferably and under soundboard rather than an under saddle (but a lot of people like the compression, and absence of handling noise, of USTs).

If you insist on a microphone (they are the most natural, and I use one when I want to AB test ukes, for example) then the Rode M3 is a good condenser microphone that won't require a second mortgage on your house to acquire. You can use a vocal microphone like an SM57 or SM58 but there is a big difference between that and a decent condenser like the M3). The sound from the SM57/58 microphones sounds "stuffy" to me, like the uke had a cold...

John

I try to mount as many things on a single stand so I use:
a cheap stand
this hanger for two ukes attached to the stand http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CC04-V/M.htm - there is a small metal thing that I use to attach my tuner, capo and setlist
this side mount boom for miking the uke (this is new, I never actually used it) http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SMB7.htm
mics: 1) a generic voice mic, as I'm not a singer and I only do occasional backing vocals and 2) a Shure PG81 for miking the ukes

I carry my instruments in a double gig bag (actually for cavaquinhos) and carry all the gear in a handbag. This way I save space and carry less stuff than I would if I carried two stands, then two floor stands, two cases etc.

The Shure you use is a dynamic microphone. Great for vocals but I would recommend a condensor microphone for instruments. Don't get confused with people saying that a Shure SM57 is a great instrument microphone. Its for putting infront of speaker cabinets. Great for rock and roll. Not for an acoustic instrument.

I use an Audix VX5 condensor for acoustic instruments.

Anthony

Top Bottom