PDA

View Full Version : End of Day 1

revdj
06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
My Uke arrived today. I had work to do, and I didn't get a lot done.

On and off over the too-many years, I've played instruments, but I've never had the experience I've had today. I didn't want to put the thing down. I just love the sound it makes. And while I don't play any better than someone whose played for a day should play... I play enough to be pleased with what I'm hearing, and can't wait to improve. Hell, I've improved so much today already!

It's not just the sound - it was so unexpectedly fun to play, too!

So here's the report:

Blister forming on my thumb.

C G F D D7 G7 memorized, although I am not fast

Twinkle Twinkle from an intro book that I got free online

Lion Sleeps Tonight from an always inclusive and encouraging former student of mine. (G C G D over and over)

Monkey and the Engineer in C, unsolicited from a kind soul on this forum who noticed I had an ambition to play Grateful Dead. One of those small acts of kindness that won't be forgotten

Failure at 12 bar blues in C - I'm getting the chords right in name, but it doesn't sound like 12 bar blues.

My little girl was practicing piano (her first lesson was yesterday) and playing "Twinkle Twinkle" I ran over to her and started playing the cords I knew that matched her notes. She was amused that I was telling her "slow down!"

I should really go to bed. ONE more attempt at Monkey and the Engineer, and this time I mean it.

Thank you all for your support these past couple of days! Everybody who has responded has made me feel so welcome and supported, and the information I've gotten has been such a big help. I'm very motivated.

revdj
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
...seriously. One more for sure.

uke552
06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Welcome and keep having fun with the uke...there are no bad days!
Yours is one of the best posts that I have read in a long time!

Macbrayne
06-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Hang in there with the 12 bar blues. It will come and when it does you will have a great big grin:-...........

armchair_spaceman
06-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Blister...on my thumb.

".

So...a Violent Femmes song tomorrow?? ;):)

OldePhart
06-20-2013, 03:53 AM
That's amazing progress - I wish I'd done anywhere near that well starting out!

As for the blues - hang in there it will come. One of the keys to the blues is the "shuffle" feel of the strumming and you're probably not changing chords smoothly enough yet to keep that shuffle feel going. It will come as your smoothness changing chords improves. Also, it will sound more like blues if you play the dominant seventh for each chord, instead of just the fifth. I.e. in C you would be using C7, F7, and G7. Then, the next step is to use the chord variations to reinforce the shuffle further.

Here's a cheesy little video I did on the subject about a year ago... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi29KMw5zGo

John

malweth
06-20-2013, 04:04 AM

today the thumb,
tomorrow "Helter Skelter."

BlueLatitude
06-20-2013, 05:17 AM
That's the funny thing about ukes. They're just so rewarding and so happy-making even when you know you aren't playing very well. (Yet.)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Please feel free to use the Ukulele Boot Camp materials (link in my signature below).

There's also a FREE Songbook using the Boot Camp method for learning and practicing songs :)

keep uke'in',

revdj
06-20-2013, 07:09 AM

That was a Good One!

revdj
06-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Here's a cheesy little video I did on the subject about a year ago... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi29KMw5zGo

This was a good video! You should edit out the apologies - it is wonderful and useful. I'm going to be watching it a lot, and this will be one of my goals. Send me a message if you want me to help you edit - THAT I am good at!

pootsie
06-20-2013, 07:17 AM
revdj:

Glad to hear all this from you. I want to let you know that by your being vocal on this forum and actively seeking help, you are no doubt helping other lurkers as they run across things that you post and the responses that you get.

So stay noisy! And keep having a good time!

OldePhart
06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
This was a good video! You should edit out the apologies - it is wonderful and useful. I'm going to be watching it a lot, and this will be one of my goals. Send me a message if you want me to help you edit - THAT I am good at!

Thanks. It's pretty primitive, though. Maybe one of these days I'll replace it with a "scripted" video with better sound. :)

John

armchair_spaceman
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
That was a Good One!

Hehehehe you saw what I did there :D