Repair suggestions for Ovation Applause uke

powerharp

Reaction score
I just received an Ovation Applause tenor uke that was a second, supposedly with a couple of cosmetic dings.... It turns out that there are more than just dings.... The top is separated from the body on the bottom left seam for about ten running inches with a gap of maybe 1/16". See pics. There is also something loose inside, probably wood? It's obvious that the instrument was dropped or something was dropped on it. I can return it to the seller but assuming that the electronics work (I will test tonight)View attachment 54745View attachment 54746View attachment 54747, I'd like to repair it, assuming that the seller refunds a reasonable amount. The price I paid was reasonable had there only been the cosmetic issues.

So, after all of the above, I'm wondering what adhesive to use. I've restored my mother's old baritone using Gorilla glue, but since the Ovation repair will be plastic to wood, I'm not sure what will be best.

BTW the uke sounds awesome.

Any suggestions?

Will gladly trade your suggestions for mine on harmonicas and cats.

Thanks!

Thick CA glue.

And I worked on a Korean Ovation double neck guitar at the Strawberry Music Festival (I do on-site lutherie there) on which most of the top braces had come unglued. That was one of the worst pieces of s..t of an instrument that I've ever had in my hands. Their gluing operations there at the factory leave a lot to be desired...

Uhg...Ovations
It looks like you would be gluing that white binding to the bowl instead of the actual top. I'd guess a medium thick CA or other glue that's suitable for plastics would work. You should fix the loose bracing inside first while you can reach in through the crack.

I did read somewhere that Ovation used hot melt glue in some joints...Or was it mentioned on the factory tour video.???
* Edit|* Now I remember..It was Fluke? Flea? ukes that used it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom