John S. Kinnard Padauk/Maple Tenor

Kevdog

Reaction score
I haven't seen too many examples of African Padauk used for the construction of ukes so I wanted to show a build from John S. Kinnard (KinnardUkes.com) that uses Padauk with a Maple neck and Sitka Spruce for the soundboard.

It finishes beautifully and the tonal characteristics have been described as similar to Brazilian Rosewood. The color can be in many shades of red depending on the individual piece. This set looks almost 3D with the high gloss finiish.

Padauk will darken with age and exposure to sunlight- how soon depends on if you leave it in a case or out where it is exposed to sunlight. I haven't seen one but I hear it darkens to a beautiful reddish chocolate color.

It's a great tonewood and beautiful to look at- definitely eye candy.

IMG_2040.jpgIMG_2035.jpgIMG_2043.jpgIMG_2049.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhhh, such clean work. That maple neck really works with the padauk, too.

Road Uke: The Sequel?

I love the look of Padauk and have a flute made from it. However, it is really heavy. Could just be the flute, but I wonder it the uke would be heavy also?

I love the look of Padauk and have a flute made from it. However, it is really heavy. Could just be the flute, but I wonder it the uke would be heavy also?
I had a padauk and redwood concert a few years ago, that seemed to about average weight.

I have a padauk/red spruce concert Boat Paddle uke and I love it. It's as light as any uke I have and just rings!

She is a beauty. Love that sexy pinstripe down her back! :iwant:

Wow, congratulations! It's gorgeous....I bet it sounds crazy good....

Top Bottom