PDA

View Full Version : End of Day 2

revdj
06-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I promise I won't be doing this forever, but I would like to share my first few days.

I practiced the songs I learned yesterday, and the chords, and I got noticeably better! I also diddled around with various methods of doing 12-bar blues, but at this point, all of them are a bit tricky for me. It's only day 2!

I have not been able to get a good sound strumming with anything but the edge of my thumb. I know that this is restrictive, and it will have to change. But in a couple of days I will be going to Ann Arbor, and a friend said he would hook me up with some uke players, and I'm sure they will be able to help me out on the strumming front. The way I see it, they CAN'T help me through the process of training my left hand to hit the chords, so all the time I spend on that is well-spent. They CAN help me learn to strum, so I'm not worried about letting that go for now.

The fact is, I can make sounds that make me happy. There is a part in Monkey and the Engineer where it goes C - Dm - G7 - C where when I hit it right (and this happens less than half the time) it sounds so awesome, I can't believe I made it happen.

And I'm still in this odd phase where I'm always wanting to play. I can't say that I've played for over an hour today, but it has been a lot of short bursts.

Tomorrow I'm going to look in the songbook that Uncle Rod shared, and see if there's something that would be fun to try that involves some new cords, but also reinforces the old ones. Has to really grab me!

Again, thanks for everyone's help and comments! Talk to you tomorrow night! (And then from Ann Arbor!)

vanflynn
06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Glad to hear the uke muse has bit. IMHO it's a great sting!

It all will come in due time. Different strums work for different songs. The main thing to remember is that this is all about having fun. Enjoy the journey

hibiscus
06-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm enjoying your "blog" and I'm happy you are enjoying the ukulele so much! That's what it's all about.

PhilUSAFRet
06-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Practice and it will come grasshopper. Strumming is a skill and becomes easier to do it right with practice. If you watch many of the great uke players on YouTube, you will notice that many of them use their thumb a lot. Gradually, you will figure out when to use your thumb and when to use your other fingers to get the effects you want. No substitute for playing with a group of ukers. Good luck

mm stan
06-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Three P Words for begining ukulele players..

Practice, Patience, and Peserverence.....Happy strummings.