Amplifiers?

caambers

Reaction score
I'd like to get a small amplifier but I have no idea what features, how many watts, or even where to get one. I've looked online but am more confused. Most of the time when I search 'ukulele amplifiers' I get big Marshalls and others that are made for guitars...or does it matter ? Anyone have any advice to give?

Very happy with my Roland Mobile AC.

Small can be a relative term. Are you looking for lower output or light weight? Are you thinking small in terms of price?

Are you looking to reproduce your current acoustic tone but at greater volume and without added coloration? If so, your best bet is an acoustic amp as most guitar amps tweak your sound.

I use a SS Genz Benz acoustic that is very true to my Uke's tone, but it weighs a ton. Also have a Fender Princeton tube that is amazingly suitable for Ukes. The best sound, bar none, is from a Polytone bass amp that I bought in 1968. But, it weighs 2 tons.

Several years ago, I bought a very inexpensive and small Samick practice amp at a hole in the wall music shop. It has a 6" speaker and a cool tweed finish. It is very light and both tone and volume are very acceptable for a 22 watt SS amp. Sounds very good with my Ukes.

Final sound quality will be dependent upon a large number of variables. Unless you are willing to roll the dice based on anecdotes or reading spec sheets, I suggest that you bring your Uke into a shop and check out what is on the floor.

Very happy with my Roland Mobile AC.
+1
great sound, small box (almost fits in your pocket), battery or AC powered - what more would you want for a start.

Last edited:
I had a small Danelectro Nifty Fifty which was a SWEET little amp that had a great tone, plus some distortion if you wanted to really light up that uke playing. I have the Kala uke amp (which is the round one), and it's a nice little amp too. Both of these I use in the house and for light rehearsals.

For actual gigging, I use a Phil Jones Bass Cub. PJB amps are full range and sound amazing with a bass, but work very, very well with a uke.

Kustom Powerwerks PA50/PW50:

Ukulele amp/P.A. system for under $100 bucks…

KustomPA501.jpg

KustomPA502.jpg

It shows a list price of $159 bucks, but they sell them for $99 bucks:

KustomPA503.jpg

http://powerwerks.com/pages/PA-Systems-8.aspx

http://powerwerks.com/ContentHandler.ashx?ID=87 Owners Manual

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZk33_3GmE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-RzN98VT0

http://www.youtube.com/user/GenoKreis?blend=5&ob=5#p/u/0/0xIY65YWEi0

The frontal shows the two 4.5” drivers and the high frequency horn:

KustomPA504.jpg

You can also note the rugged construction and the protective steel speaker grill. In addition, each corner is protected. The rear view shows the three channels, controls, inputs and outputs. I was asked if the XLR and ¼” inputs could be used at the same time, so I plugged a microphone and instrument into both jacks on both channels. All can be used at the same time:

KustomPA505.jpg

One of the long sides has a carrying handle and the other side has four rubber feet:

KustomPA506.jpg

The bottom has a speaker stand adaptor and four rubber feet:

KustomPA507.jpg

Here it is shown mounted on an OnStage speaker stand:

KustomPA508.jpg

The Kustom PA50 is a 3 channel 50 watt self contained P.A. system that works like a 5 channel P.A. system. You can plug a microphone into channels one and two. At the same time, you can plug instruments into channels one and two, using the instrument's volume and tone controls for balance. The third channel accepts MP3 players, CD players and can be adapted to accept other inputs. Using microphone cables you can link as many of these as you want through the Sync XLR In and Out jacks. These units are small, lightweight and powerful. What this means to you is that you can practice AND perform with the PA50, without breaking your piggy bank. Ric

Check out the UlraSound AG 15 acoustic amp. Popular with acoustic guitar players for its' natural reproduction.

First be aware that an acoustic amp is more suited to what you are looking for. If the quality of the tone of your instrument is important to you than an acoustic amp is what you want. Acoustic amps are transparent and do not color the tone of the instrument. A regular guitar amp is an altogether different animal that works with magnetic pickups rather than the transducers or microphones that are used with an acoustic amp. Acoustic amps are just like a PA system and designed to work with a broader frequency range than a guitar amp. Most acoustic amos will also have a mic input for vocals as well. The Fishman loudbox mini has already been mentioned and I would recommend it as well. I've used the Fishman SA220 and a mixer for three mics and two instruments for a lot of gigs and it is great. Take your uke to your local music store and ask to try out what they have and listen to the tone of the instrument on more than one amp. Then decide what you like for your needs.

I just got a Kustom PA50 from Woodwind and Brass ($89.99 w/discount, and free shipping). For our purpose I think it is an outstanding value. My wife and I are "closet" players, that is, we play and sing for our own pleasure and not publicly. This amp packs a lot of punch and options. Sure, if you are a pro or perform in different venues, you can certainly pay more and move up the technology ladder. The key is what is your purpose for shopping for an amp. Good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom