Biggest Baritone for "octave-low": Harmony?

peewee

Reaction score
Hi

I've been playing a Mainland Bari with octave low GCEA strings from Guadalupe with our uke group, and really digging it. I'm considering adding a pickup and an amp for a little volume boost.

But I'm also thinking of getting a dedicated bari for this octave setup, one with a fatter soundbox, a longer scale length, and non-flimsy construction so I don't have to worry about additional string tension.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply the Mainland is deficient in any way, or flimsy, it isn't.

The Mainland's scale length is 19.75" approx, not the longest.
I'm thinking a 50s-60s Harmony might fit the bill: what's the scale length on those? Body size?

I don't want to get anything too historic as I would set it up for the fat strings, and install a pickup.

Any playable new baris with built in pickups that have a longer scale length?

Is there any reason a standard ukulele pickup would have trouble dealing with notes that are an octave lower than expected?

thanks for any info or speculation.

peewee

Last edited:
Hi

I've been playing a Mainland Bari with octave low GCEA strings from Guadalupe with our uke group, and really digging it. I'm considering adding a pickup and an amp for a little volume boost.

But I'm also thinking of getting a dedicated bari for this octave setup, one with a fatter soundbox, a longer scale length, and non-flimsy construction so I don't have to worry about additional string tension.

The Mainland's scale length is 19.75" approx, not the longest.
I'm thinking a 50s-60s Harmony might fit the bill: what's the scale length on those? Body size?

I don't want to get anything too historic as I would set it up for the fat strings, and install a pickup.

Any playable new baris with built in pickups that have a longer scale length?

Is there any reason a standard ukulele pickup would have trouble dealing with notes that are an octave lower than expected?

thanks for any info or speculation.

peewee

All Pono Baritones have a long baritone scale at 20-18 inches...most all pickups work fine on Baritone ukulele

I've got a early 50's harmony mint condition... this is a great sounding uke
Scale 19 3/16"
Body Length 13 3/4"
Top bout width 7 1/2"
Bottom bout Width 10"

I Have it dropped Tuned C# +40/+50, G -50/ F#+50, A# +30/+40, D# +40
I have GHS Strings and I have a deep rich tone, would be a travesty to put thick strings on this uke...playability is great witht his setup.
It is loud and there is no need for a pickup on this uke....

Last edited:
+ Pono. thats what I put the strings you sent me on. it has the longer scale length and a standard pick up . pickup works fine.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm regretting a pomo I didn't jump on a few months ago now..
And that new build is pretty intriguing.
If Only I was made of $ I could have something made up!

I actually bought a 50s Harmony baritone that came equipped with those very strings. It sounded really dead and muddy, especially for strumming. But those same strings sound fantastic on my Aria (solid spruce/laminate rosewood) baritone. So you might want to go for a uke sounds a little brighter, because the strings themselves are super mellow. Just my experience!

The 50s Harmony baritones sound great with normal baritone strings, though.

Thanks for posting Haole. That's exactly the kind of info I was after. I'll add spruce-top to my list of criteria.

Top Bottom