PDA

View Full Version : Author Amy Tan becomes an ukulele player!

mds725
06-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Author Amy Tan ("The Joy Luck Club) posted this on her Facebook page this evening: "My first ukelele: 3 chords, 5 strumming rhythms, 2 finger-picking techniques, and I'm like a kid who's excited that she can do something new by herself. It's akin to that feeling of riding your first bike. I have a thin travel size and can take it in the car and annoy Lou. Actually, to pre-empt that, I bought him one as well. I picture us strumming in unison around the campfire or our fake log fireplace. And I will take it to the Squaw Valley Writers Conference where the Follies on the last night showcase good to mediocre but heartfelt talent." The accompanying photograph is of a Kala Thinline Travel Soprano.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the ukulele, Amy!

Edit: I removed the link because there's apparently no way to see this post unless you're signed up for Facebook AND you're either a friend of Amy Tan or you follow her, as the post does not appear on her public Facebook page. My apologies.

Sparkle
06-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Facebook can get proprietary. It wants to link us through someone's restricted view reshare. Basically, I when I click the link I see some fella's Facebook profile.

Can you post the link directly to her profile? (ETA: It looks like it may be protected on her end.)

sukie
06-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Is she still in her band?

coolkayaker1
06-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Is she still in her band?

Good question, sukie. Perhaps she'll add that Aloha uke sound to her band, and let Stephen King and Maya Angelou fight over the xylophone.

http://www.rockbottomremainders.com/

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-21-2013, 01:00 PM
send her Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp and FREE Songbook...

and encourage her to join the UU Ohana...ASAP! :)

keep uke'in',

Kanaka916
06-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea, what Rod said . . .

gyosh
06-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Author Amy Tan ("The Joy Luck Club) posted this on her Facebook page this evening: "My first ukelele: 3 chords, 5 strumming rhythms, 2 finger-picking techniques, and I'm like a kid who's excited that she can do something new by herself. It's akin to that feeling of riding your first bike. I have a thin travel size and can take it in the car and annoy Lou. Actually, to pre-empt that, I bought him one as well. I picture us strumming in unison around the campfire or our fake log fireplace. And I will take it to the Squaw Valley Writers Conference where the Follies on the last night showcase good to mediocre but heartfelt talent." The accompanying photograph is of a Kala Thinline Travel Soprano.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the ukulele, Amy!

Edit: I removed the link because there's apparently no way to see this post unless you're signed up for Facebook AND you're a friend of Amy Tam, as the post does not appear on her public Facebook page. My apologies.

I teach her books, does that count? :)

mds725
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I teach her books, does that count? :)

Actually, Amy Tan and I are not Facebook friends, although I once got a bowl of water for one of her dogs at a literary event (she doesn't remember that, I'm sure). On her Facebook page, there's an option to follow her, which is what i do, so her posts appear on my news page when I go onto Facebook. I'm sure she'd let you follow her, too.

coolkayaker1
06-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Actually, Amy Tan and I are not Facebook friends, although I once got a bowl of water for one of her dogs at a literary event (she doesn't remember that, I'm sure).

But, importantly, her dog will never forget, Mark.

UkeKiddinMe
06-22-2013, 11:20 AM
But, importantly, her dog will never forget, Mark.

:) Woof.