Pherotone Ukuleles- Need some Advice!

NewLuthier

Reaction score
Hi there!

My friend and I have been discussing the idea for a good few days, scouring forums, checking out advice, websites, and various books on the subject.

He's a budding musician with a variety of talents, and I'm a casual carpenter/contractor/person-who-likes-working-with-their-hands. We've got about three years left together at college, and a dual passion of ours has been ukuleles, so we thought we'd start and try and make them. All shapes, sizes, kinds (Acoustic, A/E, Hollow-Electric, Solid-Body Electric).

Though of course we're going to start with the very basic hollow-body Soprano acoustic, but we've been a bit stuck on some pointers. And we need some tips and some help.

1. What are some good, but not really expensive beginner tone woods (We're trying to build this from the ground up)?

2. What are some good woods for solid bodies?

3. What are some good, but not expensive, pickups? (He says Piezos, I agree, but what kind? In-bridge, in body, under saddle?)

4. What are some good glues to use? (Wood glues, epoxies?)

5. For Sopranos, how sturdy does the framing and the interior have to be?

6. Size of Fret Wire?

I'd really love some advice to help two dudes get off the ground.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to this Forum !:)
Just build one for a start out of any old wood or a cheap Kit..to see if you can...and then look at all the mistakes you made and try to rectify them on the next one ..and repeat this process over and over again ;)

For a variation on Timbuck's advise, from a person who is working through his first build, get a set of plans and assembly manual from Hana Lima plus whatever supplies you don't want to make yourself and build a few of them. Plus, keep reading and watching videos.

Three lines as a starter:

Mahogany is easy to work and makes a nice uke

Sopranos are harder to make than bigger ukes

The lighter you build, the better your uke will sound*, until it folds itself in half. The clever trick is stopping *just* before that happens.

* OK,experienced builders can build heavier and still get a good sound, but for early attempts weight is a pretty accurate predictor of both volume and quality of sound. I'd be surprised if a new builder's mahogany soprano weighing more than 300 grams (5 oz or so) before fitting its tuners sounded good, unless the extra weight was in really dense neck wood.

you can start off with a Stewmac ukulele kit or if you want more challenge then just glueing things together check out Hanalima kits.

Hi there!

My friend and I have been discussing the idea for a good few days, scouring forums, checking out advice, websites, and various books on the subject.

He's a budding musician with a variety of talents, and I'm a casual carpenter/contractor/person-who-likes-working-with-their-hands. We've got about three years left together at college, and a dual passion of ours has been ukuleles, so we thought we'd start and try and make them. All shapes, sizes, kinds (Acoustic, A/E, Hollow-Electric, Solid-Body Electric).

Though of course we're going to start with the very basic hollow-body Soprano acoustic, but we've been a bit stuck on some pointers. And we need some tips and some help.

1. What are some good, but not really expensive beginner tone woods (We're trying to build this from the ground up)?

2. What are some good woods for solid bodies?

3. What are some good, but not expensive, pickups? (He says Piezos, I agree, but what kind? In-bridge, in body, under saddle?)

4. What are some good glues to use? (Wood glues, epoxies?)

5. For Sopranos, how sturdy does the framing and the interior have to be?

6. Size of Fret Wire?

I'd really love some advice to help two dudes get off the ground.

Thanks!

My professional advice would be, don't put the cart before the horse. You can't even think about marketing until you have something that is marketable. Your chances of success are small, especially in today's world of import ukes that will make better ukes than you for half the price. While having the dream is nice, the reality isn't. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will find out. This is blunt, but it is the truth. Good luck.

Do a lot of homework.

Read every book on guitar making you can get your hands on. Scour through Frank Ford's www.frets.com Get the Hana Lima kit, book, and all that. Join the GAL and ASIA. Go back and read as many of the threads on this forum as you can stand. Consider going to the Roberto Venn Lutherie School.

All of your questions have been answered in the past here.

Don't even think about going into production unless you can give up 25% (consignment) to 50% ("keystone" markup) of the retail price to a music store...and make a profit at that. Don't think you can sell direct for "wholesale" prices...it costs money just to sell ukes, and after you've sold your first ten to friends, it takes more and more time to sell them. Don't think you can give away ukes to artists and have it jump start your career. Don't give up your day gig. Don't think you can compete with Asian ukes. Don't think you can make ukes and sell them for under about $600.00 net to you...you can't do that and stay in business if it is indeed a business and not a hobby subsidized by some other income stream or stash of money.

Marry well and have good medical insurance... (doesn't apply to you fortunate Brits and Aussies...well, marry well anyway...)

Keep your fingers away from whirring blades...

Stay off of motorcycles.

Dang Rick,
I was with you until you made the motorcycle comment. How about don't run with scissors?

Top Bottom