PDA

View Full Version : Towards the End of Day 3

revdj
06-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Family stuff and packing going on - I may not get another chance to post today!

C G F D D7 G7 memorized
Working on: Am Dm Gm Em

Twinkle Twinkle: As good as it is going to get until I can strum. Working on doing it without looking at music or uke.

Lion Sleeps Tonight (G C G D over and over): Getting smoother. I can't fit three fingers to make the D cord, and barring it is hard - but I've found I can get there by using my index finger to hold down two frets, and my middle finger to hold the third. I hope that doesn't make me a piker.

Monkey and the Engineer in C: Still rough, but getting better. I don't have the lyrics memorized. But I will be spending the day in the car tomorrow driving to Ann Arbor - and I'll be singing it with my ipod a lot, maybe I'll get it memorized!

12 bar blues in C: Didn't play with it today.

BROWN EYED WOMEN!

While I was waiting for the Uke to come, I was hoping that someday, maybe in a year, I could play Brown Eyed Women (and red grenadine). So out of curiosity I looked up the chords and I knew half of them! So I struggled my way through it and... Wow! It took me a while to sing it in the key I was playing it in - it was awful and then I eventually found it. This will be my "Boot Camp" method experiment... I will try to learn it using that method and see how it works for me.

Tomorrow will be a day in the car, so I don't know if I will get to play at all :( But I will be learning the lyrics to Monkey and the Engineer and Brown Eyed Women. And then back to it the day after.

Day 3, and I'm still enjoying myself, and hoping to get some playing in tonight after I'm packed and the kid is in bed.
-------
EDIT. It is later. The Kid was finding it hard to get to sleep. I was in the living room, practicing the chords to Brown Eyed Woman. The Kid called her mom in. She was complaining, not that I was making too much noise, but that she couldn't hear it well enough, she thought it was pretty. She asked that I practice in the room next to hers. So I did. And then she came in to congratulate me how well I was playing (when I started Lion Sleeps Tonight). We wound up having me in her room, and she started to get sad I was leaving. Then I started making up silly lyrics to Lion Sleeps Tonight and she cheered up, and then was laughing, and then her mom came in and asked if I was supposed to be helping her get to sleep.... And so I strummed around on the chords I know and am working on for a bit and it calmed her down. And she asked if I was bringing the uke to Ann Arbor, so I could play for her at bedtime.

I've never had anything like that question asked. Intense.

Nickie
06-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Very cool!
Play the uke in the car at stop lights...

revdj
06-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm finding the D minor difficult.

sukie
06-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm finding the D minor difficult.

Won't be for long! Glad you are having fun. That's what is important.

Boston Bill
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
To quote Peter Griffin; "Oh my God,who the hell cares?".
I'm glad that you are enjoying your ukulele,but really,does the whole world need to know every damn moment of your life.
I know that I am a crabby old b@stard,but this web site is getting out of control by encouraging this type of nonsense.
I'm sorry, I do not understand the Mahalo and Aloha spirit.
The only spirits that I believe in are manufactured by Seagrams and Hiram Walker.
If yours was the only thread like this,it would be one thing,but it seems that every person that picks up a uke these days,feels as if they have found the Holy Grail, and needs to tell the world about it.
Maybe I just don't understand the Internet culture,and should be sent to the Knacker's yard,but I come to this forum to try to find out information that may be helpful,and all I see are people rambling on as if they have discovered the secret to eternal happiness (and I know that in six months they will never pick up a ukulele again),or someone whining that their fingers hurt,after playing for one day.
Am I the only one that feels this way?
Perhaps I should be put out to pasture.
Thanks for reading my rant,
Bill

wallyboy
06-22-2013, 12:14 AM
yes you should be put out to pasture, then on to the knackers yard,

wallyboy
06-22-2013, 12:21 AM
well done revdj, keep at it, you have covered some good ground,
happy uking

malweth
06-22-2013, 03:31 AM
While I don't agree with you in spirit, it would be useful if a single thread were updated per person rather than a new thread per person per day.

I know I'm a beginner at ukulele but I'm not inexperienced with web forums... it's difficult for a beginner to post, realizing that much of what he says is wrong. I think it's good to see others' experiences/blogs in an informal setting like this and it makes the rest of us beginners feel less conscientious about posting.

ukemunga
06-22-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm glad that you are enjoying your ukulele,but really,does the whole world need to know every damn moment of your life.
I know that I am a crabby old b@stard,but this web site is getting out of control by encouraging this type of nonsense.
I'm sorry, I do not understand the Mahalo and Aloha spirit.
The only spirits that I believe in are manufactured by Seagrams and Hiram Walker.
If yours was the only thread like this,it would be one thing,but it seems that every person that picks up a uke these days,feels as if they have found the Holy Grail, and needs to tell the world about it.
Maybe I just don't understand the Internet culture,and should be sent to the Knacker's yard,but I come to this forum to try to find out information that may be helpful,and all I see are people rambling on as if they have discovered the secret to eternal happiness (and I know that in six months they will never pick up a ukulele again),or someone whining that their fingers hurt,after playing for one day.
Am I the only one that feels this way?
Perhaps I should be put out to pasture.
Thanks for reading my rant
Bill

Simple answer. Don't read 'em. Just sayin'... Let the peeps enjoy their new found enthusiasm. Don't harsh their joy.

revdj
06-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Maybe I just don't understand the Internet culture,and should be sent to the Knacker's yard

I am going to go with your first clause and not the second.

Think of a forum like a restaurant menu. This restaurant is called "Beginners Forum." It is (according to the description) a place for beginners to share. It WOULD be awful if you had to wade through all sorts of posts that, to paraphrase Peter Griffin "You didn't the hell care" about. But the nice thing is that you don't! You no more have to click on my posts than you would have to order the mushroom soup at a restaurant, if you didn't like mushroom soup. To paraphrase Homer Simpson "Mmmmm... Mushrooms."

So internet culture is ... you see a revdj post. You don't care at all about what I have to say. You don't click the title; you don't read the post. I'm not offended. Not slightly. I'm assuming some people are finding it interesting, remembering what it was like their first week. If I'm wrong, then nobody will read my posts, and I will get the message.

Internet forum culture is about choice. The software is designed so you get to control what you view. You can "follow" and "friend" people to make sure that you see the people in whom you are interested. You can search on phrases so you see posts relevant to your interests. I don't know this for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way you could "block" me so I would be invisible to you, and you would never even see the TITLES of my posts.

I would never make one of these posts in "Uke Talk," or "Ukulele Tips, Tricks and Technique." They would be off-topic there. Like a steak entree at a vegetarian restaurant. But this is Ukulele beginners, and it's my first week, and I'm sharing with only those who are interested enough to click on the post titles.

Sorry if I'm annoying you. I won't be hurt if you block me!

PTOEguy
06-22-2013, 04:52 AM
-------
EDIT. It is later. The Kid was finding it hard to get to sleep. I was in the living room, practicing the chords to Brown Eyed Woman. The Kid called her mom in. She was complaining, not that I was making too much noise, but that she couldn't hear it well enough, she thought it was pretty. She asked that I practice in the room next to hers. So I did. And then she came in to congratulate me how well I was playing (when I started Lion Sleeps Tonight). We wound up having me in her room, and she started to get sad I was leaving. Then I started making up silly lyrics to Lion Sleeps Tonight and she cheered up, and then was laughing, and then her mom came in and asked if I was supposed to be helping her get to sleep.... And so I strummed around on the chords I know and am working on for a bit and it calmed her down. And she asked if I was bringing the uke to Ann Arbor, so I could play for her at bedtime.

I've never had anything like that question asked. Intense.

I polished my fingerpicking patterns getting my twins to sleep. I find it is a great thing to work on while putting the kids to sleep - it is soft, and I needed a lot of repetition to get it smooth. My main problem was the kids didn't always like it - because they knew it put them to sleep and they did not want to go to sleep.

OldePhart
06-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Bill

Why in the world would you even click on this thread, knowing from the previous two threads that it's not something you care the least about? It would seem like someone with two brain cells to rub together might think to themselves, "you know, I hated that post two days ago, and I hated that post yesterday, maybe I'll just not click on this one..."

If you're concerned that posts you aren't interested in might fill up the internet and leave no space for anything interesting, let me clue you in, storage space and bandwidth are cheap, and you aren't paying for it anyway, so that shouldn't be a blip on your radar.

If you've got some kind of compulsory disorder where you simply cannot live without reading every thread...well...that's your problem and you can hardly expect the entire world to change their behavior for your convenience.

John

Boston Bill
06-22-2013, 05:21 AM
I have no such compulsory disorder, and I can assure you that I have more than two brain cells.
I honestly just wanted to find out if anyone else out there in the internet world agreed with me about the direction that the board is going in.
I guess that I just do not understand. I feel no need to, and I will just stop reading the site.
Good luck to you all,
Bill

bobO G
06-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Fun read if you ask me . by the way did I mention how my fingers got sore :)

ukemunga
06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I have no such compulsory disorder, and I can assure you that I have more than two brain cells.
I honestly just wanted to find out if anyone else out there in the internet world agreed with me about the direction that the board is going in.
I guess that I just do not understand. I feel no need to, and I will just stop reading the site.
Good luck to you all,
Bill

Bill,

Hang around. Read. Post. Enjoy. Learn. It's not a contest,

lhttp://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/u/ub40/158399.html

gsm1cox
06-22-2013, 03:32 PM
As a newbee I have enjoyed reading the troubles you are having, I wish I had so much time to pratice. Thanks to all giving him suggestion they helped me out also, I loved the 3 P's someone posted in day 2.

Trout
07-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Did you attend the American Fork Uke Festival this June?

silveraven
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Uhhh...this IS in a Ukulele Beginners board, is it not? :confused:

Spud1$
07-13-2013, 10:42 AM
While I don't agree with you in spirit, it would be useful if a single thread were updated per person rather than a new thread per person per day.

I know I'm a beginner at ukulele but I'm not inexperienced with web forums... it's difficult for a beginner to post, realizing that much of what he says is wrong. I think it's good to see others' experiences/blogs in an informal setting like this and it makes the rest of us beginners feel less conscientious about posting.
I agree, it's daunting asking for advice realizing how very little I know. After only four months I realize how ukeiliterate I was and still am. Every question I post finds me serious help and then a few weeks later I am aware of just how ridiculous I must sound to all those proficient players and I feel a little embarrassed on the other hand I find my answer so it's worth the hit my pride might take!!" Each to his own said the old lady as she kissed her cow"