PDA

View Full Version : The Cure's "Love Song" covered by The Sidekicks

jwieties
06-22-2013, 03:18 AM
As a teenager, my wife loved The Cure. For her birthday, my "band" decided to cover Love Song as one of her presents. Managed to get it done without her knowing (the 6 year old has loose lips :)) and posted it on her facebook page. I've never been much of a singer, in fact I hate singing, but force myself to do it with the hope that my kids won't have the same insecurities about preforming that I do. And... if you can't make a bit of a fool of yourself to make your wife smile on her birthday, then what good are you.

https://vimeo.com/68811911
https://vimeo.com/68811911

coolkayaker1
06-22-2013, 06:27 AM
OMG, that's moving. I bet she cried.

Wait, she's a Cure fan, a Goth girl, so maybe not.... Lol.

She'll watch that for years and years. Well done!

jwieties
06-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for watching Steve.
My wife would actually say she was "New Wave". Pre-Goth stuff like Echo and The Bunnymen, Smiths, Depeche Mode. Your right though, she didn't shed a tear, but did like it a great deal. Especially loved that the kids got into it.

I on the other hand was a skater and into Descendants, 7 Seconds, Social Distortion. I looked up as many of these bands as I could remember a few months ago. Such great music that would make for fun uke covers.

Thanks again.

coolkayaker1
06-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Right, right, Joshua. What am I saying...Goth. Nope, New Wave, right. I should know--I was one of them. But, I was into the stuff more underground than the ones you mention: Killing Joke, The Kane Gang, PIL, Cabaret Voltaire, The Blow Monkeys, The Neighborhoods, The Stranglers, you name it.

Frankly, I'm listening to The Best of The Fleshtones right now on the stereo. Roman Gods. I remember getting all juiced up and drunk with all my college buddies and seeing them at The Rat in Kenmore Sq., Boston, circa 1985 and then going out after they cleared the bar and breaking stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRlLVGYVR1w

Remember, as an old sk8er, when The Offspring "Smash" came out. Man, it was so grindable!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_(The_Offspring_album)

erivel
06-22-2013, 08:50 PM
The Sidekicks rule! That was great! I can't wait until I can play songs with my little ones. Your wife and I liked the same bands back then...

ombracorta
06-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Great band!! I've two little children (now three and one) and I must confess that's my dream to play and sing with them one day :)
From father to father, great job!! ;)

Newportlocal
06-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Great video love the sidekicks name. Very nice hallmark moment for her birthday. I was heavily in the new wave scene in Southern and Northern California. I saw the Cure at UC Berkley and Depeche Mode with Book of Love and General Public at J Kaiser convention center among many other concerts and clubs. I have great fun playing music with my kids.

coolkayaker1
06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
I was heavily in the new wave scene in Southern and Northern California. I saw the Cure at UC Berkley and Depeche Mode with Book of Love and General Public at J Kaiser convention center among many other concerts and clubs.

Cool, N. did you paint your face like I did?

Newportlocal
06-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Cool, N. did you paint your face like I did?

Black eyeliner and a chain with a cross hanging from my ear with zodiac boots on. Leather jacket with buttons that said why be normal, and the other one said so many women so little nerve. Spiked platinum flat top, occasionally blue black.

coolkayaker1
06-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Black eyeliner and a chain with a cross hanging from my ear with zodiac boots on. Leather jacket with buttons that said why be normal, and the other one said so many women so little nerve. Spiked platinum flat top, occasionally blue black.
That's the ticket, Newport.

jwieties
06-24-2013, 03:12 AM
One of the boys favorite parts of the video was spiking their hair. I decided against eyeliner.

Regarding the name "Sidekicks". Kyler (6 year old) came up with it. He loves playing and watching soccer. We came up with several names, but while Kyler was trying to think of something soccer related, he shouted out Sidekicks. He didn't at first appreciate the dual meaning. It was perfect.

Kyler has a knack for naming bands. At school his classmates have a band that pretend to play at recess. He named this band "Guano Cupcake". Apparently they were learning about bats that week. It is the most punk rock name I've ever heard.

Thanks again for listening guys.

erivel
06-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Is that your David Newton tenor that you are playing?

Blackwingy
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
That is the coolest and cutest thing I've seen in a long while. Love your son groovin at the piano! And your voice is quite nice. :D
Swell birthday present!

jwieties
06-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Is that your David Newton tenor that you are playing?

Yep, that's the Newton Dias Tenor. It is a cool little uke. It is so well made and plays and sounds simply fantastic. I need to put together a proper review or at least do a video that really shows it off. I'm traveling a lot over the next couple weeks, but by the end of July I should have something. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

That is the coolest and cutest thing I've seen in a long while. Love your son groovin at the piano! And your voice is quite nice. :D
Swell birthday present!

Thanks so much!!!

erivel
06-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Yep, that's the Newton Dias Tenor. It is a cool little uke. It is so well made and plays and sounds simply fantastic. I need to put together a proper review or at least do a video that really shows it off. I'm traveling a lot over the next couple weeks, but by the end of July I should have something. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Cool! I recently bought his long neck concert. It's great! Made some videos with them already. Years ago I asked David if he'd make me a tenor, but he wasn't making tenors at the time. Glad you're diggin' yours!