Should I return my Kanilea K1-SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranilus

Reaction score
I am thinking about returning my Kanilea K1-SS SF (super soprano)... arrived Thursday. This was bought during their father's day sale.

_DSC2912.jpg_DSC2909.jpg

Main reason - the build quality just wasn't what I expected from a $700 Hawaiian handmade ukulele. The part of the tuner on the C string is loose - see picture, as I don't know what that washer-like thing is called. I've made sure none of the the screws are loose or anything.

It does not interfere with the tuning, but I fear for longevity as well as re-sale value of the ukulele.

On the other hand, the wood is the finest I've seen - makes my higher end Kalas look like toys in comparison (the looks - the paint, the color, etc). It is built solid, yet lighter than some of my other ukes.

I am probably leaning toward returning it - not even the Makalas I've bought had loose tuner parts, but this $700 uke worth 14 Makalas does. I was hoping to see if fellow forum members feel differently (or support my decision). Some more pictures:

_DSC2885.jpg_DSC2895.jpg_DSC2906.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts/opinions. Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
I understand your concern, but that's relatively minor thing that can be corrected with a little glue. Call HMS and they will tell you how to correct it. They may send you a new tuner if it is needed. I wouldn't send it back for that.

Last edited:
In all honesty, if you have concerns, issues or dissatisfaction with the instrument you should talking to the seller. I think it can be resolved quickly between both parties in a more private setting rather than a public forum. Just my dos centavos . . .

I'm with Doc_J on this one. I surely understand the anxiety after making the investment, but that looks like something you could fix yourself or have fixed locally. I would call HMS and talk to them. Send them your photos. Sure is a pretty uke!

HMS has an exceptional reputation for customer service. I can't imagine that they wouldn't make this right. Worst case scenario, a new tuner and 10 minutes with a screwdriver and you're good to go.

Scooter

In all honesty, if you have concerns, issues or dissatisfaction with the instrument you should talking to the seller. I think it can be resolved quickly between both parties in a more private setting rather than a public forum. Just my dos centavos . . .

I agree with you..i hate too see post like this(with pictures) in the public forums...

please send via a Private Message
or call HMS direct they will help you out for sure...

my 2 cents too

+1 Better to resolve things priviately and keep good relationships with the seller....public greivences only strains things...good luck man
I am almost sure the looseness is where worm gear is held in place..
this either can be fixed with a pliers and bent back into place to tighten up the slop and or replaced...

Last edited:
The bushing is a press fit. If it's actually loose as in moving around the hole might have been just a fraction oversize and it loosened up in shipping. If it's tight and not moving, it probably never got seated all the way.

If you aren't totally happy with the uke (and I wouldn't be, after I noticed the loose bushing, though I might not ever have noticed it if it doesn't rattle) then contact Andrew and I can pretty much guarantee he'll make it right. That's why HMS has the reputation it does - it's not that problems never happen, it's that they get resolved when they do. This is a pretty easy fix but I suspect that Andrew would probably rather have his guys fix it, or bounce it back to Kanile'a if there actually is something wrong with the hole, than ask a customer to press a bushing themselves or live with something less than perfect.

John

I agree with you..i hate too see post like this(with pictures) in the public forums...

please send via a Private Message
or call HMS direct they will help you out for sure...

my 2 cents too

+1 Better to resolve things priviately and keep good relationships with the seller....public greivences only strains things...good luck man
I am almost sure the looseness is where worm gear is held in place..
this either can be fixed with a pliers and bent back into place and or replaced...

You know I like all three of you guys, but here I think we may need to agree to disagree. I don't have a problem with the OP's post. I think it was good that he or she posted as they found out that the issue is a minor one.

I am a big fan of Kanile'a, and I think HMS is a fantastic seller, and I don't really see it as an attack on either of them. Even the best makers and sellers might have a small issue like this slip through the cracks. I think one of the best functions of this forum is to provide open discussion on topics that interest, and often, help one another. And sometimes those are not all sunshine and happiness.

Just my own two cents on the topic... :)

For the record, OP, I would let HMS and/or Kanilea know. I am sure one of them will resolve the matter to your satisfaction. If you love the uke, don't let this make you return it.

Hi Staci . . I think if the seller was kept anonymous, it would have been different matter. Granted, they (HMS) will do everything to make it right but I would hate being informed of a problem in this manner.

You know I like all three of you guys, but here I think we may need to agree to disagree. I don't have a problem with the OP's post. I think it was good that he or she posted as they found out that the issue is a minor one.

I am a big fan of Kanile'a, and I think HMS is a fantastic seller, and I don't really see it as an attack on either of them. Even the best makers and sellers might have a small issue like this slip through the cracks. I think one of the best functions of this forum is to provide open discussion on topics that interest, and often, help one another. And sometimes those are not all sunshine and happiness.

Just my own two cents on the topic... :)

For the record, OP, I would let HMS and/or Kanilea know. I am sure one of them will resolve the matter to your satisfaction. If you love the uke, don't let this make you return it.

Yes Staci,
I see your point but I know HMS personally and know they will makes this all good with one phone call..

maybe because I know the inner workings and have seen the service that HMS gives to everyone at their store, I do see this an attack on them and Joe at Kanilea..

and yes Kanile'a did let this uke go out the door with small defect and nobody is perfect..that is why I really did not have to read/see the OPs feelings in public...

my 4 cents now....lol

Was it an "attack" not sure and not going to comment on that BUT as a guy new to the Ukulele world I have already seen how prompt and helpful HMS is just by reading about other issues people have had . Which is one reason I love and appreciate this forum . So when the time comes for me to spend big bucks on a Uke HMS is at the top of my short list . So I guess the public airing of dirty laundry is a two edge sword . It can be really bad for a company or really good , depending on how they handle the issue . I would say this is my 2 cents but I just bought another Uke and man am I broke .

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post

I agree, but it's not the worst mistake in the world~ it's the second time in a week I've seen a post like this, and I would have called the seller first. Enjoy your new ukulele!

You should contact HMS, their customer service is great.

When I contacted them for advice about something minor I noticed on one of my ukes, they couldn't have been more helpful. I was very impressed with their service :) .

I think it's a good thing to have these issues published in a public place. As long as the poster also reports this issue with the seller, and posts the outcome in the same thread.
Quality ukes and quality sellers are no garantee for perfection, and we the people have the right to know that, and the right to information that leads to awareness of that.
Also it would be good to read how this issue ends, instead of just "knowing them I'm sure this will turn out OK".

I think it's a good thing to have these issues published in a public place. As long as the poster also reports this issue with the seller, and posts the outcome in the same thread.
Quality ukes and quality sellers are no garantee for perfection, and we the people have the right to know that, and the right to information that leads to awareness of that.
Also it would be good to read how this issue ends, instead of just "knowing them I'm sure this will turn out OK".

but I do know them and I do know they will take care of it..where are you right now?
I live on Oahu and have visited Kanile'a and HMS many times....haha

just trying to "help" out fellow UU members who have no contact with the Ukulele community in Hawaii

Last edited:

Regardless of what has been bought, I think the seller should be contacted first so they can be given the chance to resolve the problem with the buyer before it gets posted on a forum.

The Op is just asking for honest Advice.

HMS's reputation speaks for itself and will not be affected by this post.

I would personally, just tighten down the nut and be done with it...

Personally I don't think it's the nut, it is the bracket that is sloppy and too loose for the worm gear tuner knob shaft..there is no nut there....

the Kanile'a tuners that they used are press fitted into the top side of headstock..
there is no nut to tighten...that is why you talk to people who know the right answers..
sometimes info from people like you who mean well, are not correct and the forums makes thing worst not better...

my 6 cents now...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom