A big part of the learning process is...

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I've made a few ukes now and for me I find that one of the biggest parts of the learning process is figuring out how to fix my own mistakes.

I won't go into some of the embarrasing things I've done, but sometimes things happen and ,after I've thrown a few things around my shop and depleted my reserves of expletives, I have to sit down and figure out how to make it right.

Usually everything turns out fine and I feel like I am much more knowledeable about the process.
I'm assuming (hoping) that I am not the only person who does this.
Am I correct? (please tell me I'm correct!)

~Fred

I can totally relate. I'm working on my 5th from-scratch uke, and I've found that mistake recovery is a major part of my efforts. It's also part of what motivates me to build the next one, to see if I can avoid the previous mistakes. But I always seem to find new mistakes to make. Hopefully I'm learning from them. And I think sometimes mistakes can lead you to new and creative ideas.

The best builders I know...that is mostly guitar builders...all have a lot of experience in doing "street level" repair work. I've gotten to the point where I do not know how anyone can be a good and well rounded guitar or uke builder without at least three years doing commercial repair work...that is working in the back room of an active music store where you'll be doing at least one or two refrets a week, five or six level, crown, and polish jobs, and equal number of setups, reglue a peghead break or two a month, reglue bridges, fix cracks, track down buzzes and loose parts, etc. One of the reasons I have signed on to doing repairs and setups at the Strawberry Music Festivals (twice a year) is to keep my hands in and my mind sharp and open to seeing all the things that can and do go wrong, engage with a wide range of musicians, and understand the needs both technically...and psychologically. Over this last Memorial Day weekend I worked on over 35 instruments in 3 1/2 days doing everything from adding strap buttons to a complete F style mandolin refret. And it's setup and fret work that you simply will not "get" until you've done dozens and scores and hundreds of them dealing with every brand and style of instrument and just as important, dealing with a wide range of clients.

If you want to be a really good builder...beyond a very narrow range...then go do repair work for a while and learn to fix not only your mistakes but those of others.

There was a bookbinding shop in Berkeley. In their work room there was a fairly large sign.

"Do not regret making your first 5,000 mistakes, for that is how you will learn to fix your next 5,000 mistakes."

Good advice for any trade or profession.

I think I learned more fixing a couple of old birch Regals and a really badly cracked up Kumalae than anything else I've done. What is interesting to me is that when you assess an instrument from the outside you get one idea of what you need to do. Once you crack that bad boy open you find a whole new set of problems to tackle. I think I am going to start looking at flea markets and yard sales for old guitars and other stringed instruments that are in need of repair just to practice on.

I began playing before building. That has been good for me. Then man named Sam Rosen taught me to build. He said that the class wasn't so much about building ukes but it was a class in learning to fix our mistakes.There seems to be a few less mistakes the more I build. However the more I build the more I strive to improve and there comes the new learning lessons. Actually I was looking for something such as that which would challenge my 64 year old mind. Like I need a challenge. Anyway that is my story.

I am 3yrs new, (72) and just made my 34 instrument!! 15 Uku's 5 guitars, 2 bass Uku's, 1 Wiessenborn, and lots of dulcimers. If it was not for the mistakes, I would have lost interest long ago!! You can write it down,swear not to do it again, and guess what? You got6 it, but at least you know what and how to fix it!!
I just completed my first Bass Uku, a cutaway, used Weedwacker strings, and Wow, it plays very well Acusticly, and even BETER on the amp!! You can get really lucky sometimes!! I just started my first Tenor cutaway, and hope it sound and intonates as well as the others!!

I live in Paradise(no I am Not dead) its just 11 miles from Chico Ca, 82 mile N. of Sacramento, I anyone reads this and is close, let me know, we can exchange ideas!!
String are The Thing!!!

Compared with most of you guys, I'm still starting to climb the hill. That is, four (4) Ukes tuck on my belt . . . 1 electric tenor Uke, 1 guitalele, 1 tenor, and 1 banjo ukulele made out of hand drum. However, I can name several eye twitching and nerve wrecking incidences that almost made me quit. Thanks to my Soap box Derby days where my late Uncle thought me one golden rule. If you're doing SOMETHING make the most out of it not just a "SO SO" creation. I could not distinguish the variety of wood since what I often used are (over)used or "cadaver" guitars made in Japan.

My Dad used to say "Please yourself ? A difficult task if your standards are high enough" ;)

I think repair work is ONE way to earn your chops. Requisite? If so this has got to be the only wood craft industry where it would be seen as de rigeur. I know of no furniture/cabinet maker in the UK (my former trade: and cabinet making means something different here in the UK - hand cut dovetails and all that stuff) who would take on repair work as a part of an apprenticeship training. I think what Rick is alluding to is that repair work provides the learning since there is no formal learning available in the form of identifiable indentured apprenticeships in lutherie. Undoubtedly a great way to go but not the only way. I made 8 ukulele a month for 2 1/2 years - that was an education that has helped my to get to the point where I am now. It is interesting to note that Hokusai, the Japanese print maker who did those prints of The Wave commented at 83, "I think I am beginning to get it right...."

Top Bottom