"Fine and Mellow" - Billie Holiday cover

Dougf

Reaction score
Although mostly known as a vocalist, Billie Holiday also wrote a few songs. This is one of hers that has become a jazz standard. Thanks, Baron for hosting your Blues contest.

This was a great rendition, Doug. I'm a Billie Holiday fan. I'm going to have to try bending and sliding chords like that. Hadn't occured to me to try it but then I'm still quite new to the uke, still struggling with chords and strumming. That'll be my fun thing in my practice today. Right now. Thanks!

This was a great rendition, Doug. I'm a Billie Holiday fan. I'm going to have to try bending and sliding chords like that. Hadn't occured to me to try it but then I'm still quite new to the uke, still struggling with chords and strumming. That'll be my fun thing in my practice today. Right now. Thanks!

Thanks, slowpoke. If you like Billie Holiday, check out this YT video of her 1957 television appearance with an all-star lineup. It appeared in my feed the day after I saw Baron's Blues contest announcement, and inspired me to cover it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqxG09wlIA

Thanks for the link. I can remember seeing Billie on tv way back when, almost to late 50s. More like early 60s. Gosh there used to be several weekly tv shows with some fantastic jazz and blues performers. Oops! My age is showing!

Nice! I might just have to nick your version!

Nice! I might just have to nick your version!

Another UU member PM'd me for the chart, here's what I said, hope it helps.

"
The progression is a 12 bar blues, but I like jazz flavored chords, here's what I use. The vertical bar indicates a 4 beat measure.

C13 (3453) | F9 (2333) | C13 | C13
F9 | F9 | C13 | Em7 (4435) Ebm7 (3324)
Dm7 (2213) | G9 (4555) | C13 | G9 G7#5 (4536)

I like to slide the chords up into place, you'll get the idea. You can strum a quick all-open (0000) between the G9 and G7#5 of the final turnaround.
"

Fine and mellow, you got that right brother! I love everything you do Doug, this is just superb. You have an amazing feeling for jazz and do it like no-one else on the uke.

Thanks, Bill and Jon, 'preciate it, guys. :)

Top Bottom