Who hates the E chord?

Kobold

Reaction score
Seriously, it's like a backwards barre chord from hell. I'm sure there are others out there that are far more difficult, but for a base major chord, it's pretty tricky for the newbie like me to handle.

Any pointers on how to handle that sucker? Am I right in using my fourth finger to fret the first string?

I hold an E chord with my pointer and thumb. I use my pointer to hold the A string 2nd fret, and i put my thumb over the neck to hold the top 3 strings on 4th fret. people trip out when i show them haha. There are tons of variations to this chord though.

it's a pretty useful chord shape, so you'd probably benefit from nailing it pretty soon!

the way i do it is; index finger on the lowest string, middle finger on top string, ring finger on the string below that, and pinky on the 2nd from the bottom.

btw it's gotta be hard to get your pinky to the top string, man. @_@

Wow, seems to me like you guys make it really hard. I just hold the 2nd fret A string with my index, and then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string I bar with the last part of my ring finger. Or, if in a fast song, just bar the 2nd fret with my index finger.

E is for "Everybody hates the E chord". I avoided songs with E for months when I started.
But Em, now that's a whole nother story.I could play Em all day long.

One thing that helped me was to find a song or two with alot of E in it,holding it there seems to get your fingers used to being stretched like that and it gets easier quick..

Try "stir it up" that's a good,easy one to practice with
and everybody knows it.
A-A-D-E , A-A-D-E over and over..

own that E!

Here's a previous E chord thread from Feb 08. If you don't like using the 4442 try the 4447 inversion.

Great post. I've been trying to sort out the 4442 e chord but my third finger simply will not bend at the second joint so I physically can't hold down three strings with it, it's either one or all of them! I'll use the 4447 from now on. Thanks man.

you guys should try using your thumb for the 444 part of the chord (teehee) I'ts much easier....for me at least :uhoh:

I dunno 'bout da odda guys, but IMO using your thumb to hold a chord would be a bad habit. You took lessons, were you taught that?

Why a bad habit? its the only chord I use it for, i put my thumb right back behind the neck after the chord, and i don't ever have my thumb hang over the neck for no reason....And no, i didn't learn this during lessons. My cousin had a hard time with the chord also, and was creative enough, i guess, to come up with this. I watch him playing it once, and i picked it up. (and props for your "powers of recall", lol)

Wow, thanks for the info guys!:)

I rather like MisoHappy's (pun intended there buddy?) idea of using the thumb to bar those three strings. Sadly my fingers are rather short (one of the many reasons the ukulele was made for me), so it's rather ungainly for me to use my nothing of a thumb as a barre tool.

The 4447 variant could be handy, although it's high pitch seems out of place in certain songs (particularly the one I'm currently working on), but I'll keep that one in mind for the future... mwaha...

Since my fingers aren't double jointed (which means that bending my middle or ring finger to barre the three strings is out of the question), looks like I'll most likely continue to work it the good ol' fashioned way; practice until those bloody fingers can do it, by golly!:D

I love the atmosphere here guys, thanks a bunch!

Wow, thanks for the info guys!:)

I rather like MisoHappy's (pun intended there buddy?) idea of using the thumb to bar those three strings. Sadly my fingers are rather short (one of the many reasons the ukulele was made for me), so it's rather ungainly for me to use my nothing of a thumb as a barre tool.

The 4447 variant could be handy, although it's high pitch seems out of place in certain songs (particularly the one I'm currently working on), but I'll keep that one in mind for the future... mwaha...

Since my fingers aren't double jointed (which means that bending my middle or ring finger to barre the three strings is out of the question), looks like I'll most likely continue to work it the good ol' fashioned way; practice until those bloody fingers can do it, by golly!:D

I love the atmosphere here guys, thanks a bunch!

Pun very intended there, friend. lol. I knew someone would ask eventually :D

*Also* There are many, many, many variations of this chord from hell. I'm sure you'd be able to find one if you google 'ukulele chord finder'

so which finger exactly are you using to bar the top strings? Cuz if it's your pinky you're using, thats just amazing....and painful. And if it's your middle finger, that is a pretty akward position. So a big*props* for you either way. And I'm sorry my cousin's method won't work for you :(

Last edited:
In the 4442 form, the top note (B) is redundant, since you're already covering it at the fourth fret on the G string. It's a useful chord form to learn, but I don't think anyone would fault you for muting the A string.

Otherwise, try 1402 or 1442. Less practical, but E chords nonetheless.

I have no problem with barring the chord, my problem is accuracy. Sometimes I over-bar. But that's all part of being a newB.

BTW, a very well respected member of this forum* has written several articles stating that using your thumb is CHEATING! Furthermore it is poor form and will come back to haunt you later in UKE-life. However I have have read this same person's other material on Jazz and Blues uing wherein he actually suggested using the thumb. So the moral to the story is that if anyone calls you out for using your thumb and calls you a cheater, just say you are a Jazz/Blues uker. That takes the curse off of it.

*(The aforementioned uker is named "Woodshed", but you didn't hear that from me)

In the 4442 form, the top note (B) is redundant, since you're already covering it at the fourth fret on the G string. It's a useful chord form to learn, but I don't think anyone would fault you for muting the A string.

Otherwise, try 1402 or 1442. Less practical, but E chords nonetheless.

It sounds the same if you mute the string, but it's not as full sounding. I'ts not a big difference though

I have no problem with barring the chord, my problem is accuracy. Sometimes I over-bar. But that's all part of being a newB.

BTW, a very well respected member of this forum* has written several articles stating that using your thumb is CHEATING! Furthermore it is poor form and will come back to haunt you later in UKE-life. However I have have read this same person's other material on Jazz and Blues uing wherein he actually suggested using the thumb. So the moral to the story is that if anyone calls you out for using your thumb and calls you a cheater, just say you are a Jazz/Blues uker. That takes the curse off of it.

*(The aforementioned uker is named "Woodshed", but you didn't hear that from me)

Again with the bad habit thing. Why in the world is it cheating? Is it in some sort of rulebook not to use your thumb or something? I play the chord how it feels comfortable to me. And as i replied to Kanaka, I don't make it a bad habit. I use my thumb exclusively for just this one chord. You guys make me wish I didn't mention it at all. Sorry in advance CHEATING

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider it cheating to thumb a chord. But it's unconventional and most teachers would cringe at the idea. If it works for you, we won't judge, but a teacher might.

I wouldn't consider it cheating to thumb a chord. But it's unconventional and most teachers would cringe at the idea. If it works for you, we won't judge, but a teacher might.

I showed my instructor, and he tripped out and picked it up also

Top Bottom