PDA

View Full Version : Season 71 - NAME GAME Dance Party!!

Pages : [1] 2

GinnyT11
06-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Come on, all you cats and kittens—get your dancing shoes on!
We're rocking a summer dance party!
You'll need a date, so bring to Season 71
SONGS WITH A PERSON'S NAME IN THE TITLE

Songs like these...
Levon
Delilah
Hey Jude
Maybelline
Eli's Coming
Mrs Robinson
Mack the Knife
Crackling Rosie
Quinn the Eskimo
Along Comes Mary
Whatever Lola Wants
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Peggy Sue Got Married
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
They Call the Wind Mariah
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
~Original songs welcome! Non-English songs with names welcome!~

It's a summer party, so let's try for mostly upbeat, happy songs. Please save neurosis, heartbreak and death for another week.

Guidelines:
1. Uke is the central instrument in one take. Other instruments, multiple singers and multitracks are welcome.
You cleverboots types might want to try a medley of two harmonious name songs (short ones, please).

2. Say somewhere in the video it's for the 71st Season of the Ukulele.

3. No videos posted till Sunday, June 23, Chicago time! That's about 6 am Sunday GMT.
Season ends at Sunday midnight, June 30, Hawaii time.

4. No bonuses; all entries recorded for this week count.(Good idea, krabbers!) LIMIT of 4 SONGS per person!

5. Please urge shy newbies to enter and—for extra karma—keep encouraging them over subsequent weeks.

Judging:
I've been asked to step in for another host, so I don't have prizes worked out yet. My 3 personal and subjective favorite entries will win a modest prize yet to be determined.
(Note: I have a particular fondness for songs from 1960-1980.)

DANCE CARD PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVMHjUwqCShhCUVithMMOFeV)

GinnyT11
06-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Additional notes:

Now, don't get so excited about the new week that you miss posting in krabbers' 70th season.
He's aiming for 100 videos, and I know the Seasonistas can do it! Do it for krabbers!

Second, I hope our volunteer coordinator ukuloonie will stop in with a status report of the massive flooding in Calgary, where he lives. Hope you've still got internet, Drew.

Third, for many weeks I've been sending PMs to first-time submitters to the Seasons, inviting them to join the Seasonistas group and get the cool logo on their profile page.

But I'm falling behind and missing some people. If you've posted at least one video in the Seasons, go here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=248
In the upper-right corner, the drop-down menu Group Tools has an option Join. I hope you will.

ukuloonie
06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Where we live in Calgary just South of the Glenmore Reservior were are fine, no flooding at all.
but downtown is underwater. Where many of the people go to work, so Bus and Transit services are either not working or reduced.
My concern was really the Zoo, it is right in the affected area but they were able to move all the animals out of the enclosures and take them to a safe area.
There are a lot of people still stranded and not able to get into their homes still and there are difficult times ahead for many.
There is a lot of clean up to be done.
The Saddledome for you hockey Fans is underwater.
The annual Stampede ['Stampede is the biggest party for Calgary. which host s Fun rides all the cowboy riding and races, large animal shows etc ]
will hopefully be still up and running
I guess they want to get in there as fast as they can to resolve that

High River South of us is Having a lot of trouble with severe flooding.
People are being cared for, Services should resume soon I guess by the end of the week,
a lot of people have been affected and still will be affected as the high surge of Water
continues Eastwards to out lying towns like Drumheller ( Dinosaur Country) Medicine Hat and many other smaller communities.
So it is still not over for others.
So my prayers and hope go to all those affected.

Tootler
06-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Glad to hear you're OK, Drew. Let's hope the floods recede soon and people can get back in their homes to start clearing up the mess. We've got a bit used to seeing pictures on the TV here of flooding and the mess it leaves behind as it seems to be more common everywhere.

vct33
06-23-2013, 03:53 AM
Good season. I think I'll be in for the 2nd week in a row. I just need to learn the song that popped into my head. I love the song and it's from 1961 so it just squeeks into your favorite era. ;)

wee_ginga_yin
06-23-2013, 04:53 AM
Where we live in Calgary just South of the Glenmore Reservior were are fine, no flooding at all.
but downtown is underwater. Where many of the people go to work, so Bus and YTransit services are either not working or reduced.
My concern was really the Zoo, it is right in the affected area but they were able to move all the animals out of the enclosures and take them to a safe area.
There are a lot of people still stranded and not able to get into their homes still and there are difficult times ahead for many.
When there is a lot of clean up to be done.
The Saddledome for you hockey Fans is under a lot of water.
Stampede will hopefully be on I guess they want to get in there as fast as they can to resolve that
Stampede is the biggest party for Calgary.

High River South of us is Having a lot of trouble with severe flooding.
People are being cared for, Services should resume soon I guess by the end of the week,
a lot of people have been affected and still will be affected as the high surge of Water that
Will continue Eastwards to out lying towns like Drumheller ( Dinosaur Country) Medicine Hat and many other smaller communities.
So it is still not over for others.
So my prayers and hope go to all those affected.

The TV and radio in Finland have been full of news about the SuperMoon, and last night
I went out and filmed it just one hour after moonrise, when it is supposed to be at its
biggest and best. There is a train of thought that the super moon is a trigger for natural
disasters and freak weather conditions

Supermoon - Super full moon (http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/super-full-moon.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlBHUn9AbCM

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 05:09 AM
The TV and radio in Finland have been full of news about the SuperMoon, and last night I went out and filmed it just one hour after moonrise, when it is supposed to be at its
biggest and best.
There is a train of thought that the super moon is a trigger for natural disasters and freak weather conditions

Oh drat! I thought you were going to say it's a trigger for the blossoming of musical genius in average players.

wee_ginga_yin
06-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Oh drat! I thought you were going to say it's a trigger for the blossoming of musical genius in average players.

Well tonight the moon will still be about 99% full and it is famed for bringing about
huge changes in the personality, so who knows what might happen if one were
to play by the light of the silvery moon.

Does a full moon really trigger strange behavior? (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/moon.html)

Tootler
06-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Well tonight the moon will still be about 99% full and it is famed for bringing about
huge changes in the personality, so who knows what might happen if one were
to play by the light of the silvery moon.

Well I'm not sure about that but we've had thunderstorms all afternoon and they tend to affect my personality but not in a positive way.

Does a full moon really trigger strange behavior? (http://http://antisuperstition.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58%3Adoes-a-full-moon-really-trigger-strange-behavior&catid=38%3Aghosts&Itemid=59)

I got "server not found" on your link, btw. Server must be down.

Uncheers from grumpy git.

Tootler
06-23-2013, 07:15 AM

Not really, just remembered I had been loading an entry for Krabbers' 70th season and thought I had mucked it up by moving off You Tube too early.

Fortunately it had uploaded OK so I have got my entry done for Season 70. Now for 71. I fairly quickly thought of about 5 traditional songs with people's names in the title. However, four of them were murder ballads and I thought Ginny might not be too pleased at a succession of songs about grizzly murders.

If you're curious look up Matty Groves (aka Lord Barnard and young Musgrave -two names in that one!), Maria Marten (aka the Red Barn), Lord Randal (on my You Tube channel) and Geordie (aka Georgie).

I do have some other ideas, though including at least one folk song that will fit nicely.

peewee
06-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Ginny,
Excellent!
I've been anticipating this theme (and kind of keeping it up my sleeve for if I'm called on to host). Which isn't to say that I've prepared anything. However every song that I've considered so far is one of neurosis heartbreak and death.
Looking through the list of examples, I see a few others...

Levon = "while Levon slowly dies"
Delilah = Murder story
Eli's Coming = "you better hide"
Mack the Knife = Serial Killer
Bad Bad Leroy Brown = clearly a bad man
Maxwell's silver Hammer = More Mayhem
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance = The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

It's going to be hard to avoid the downside songs, at least for me. Please don't make me sing happy songs! :rolleyes:

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=peewee;1306704]Ginny,
Excellent! I've been anticipating this theme... However every song that I've considered so far is one of neurosis heartbreak and death. Looking through the list of examples, I see a few others...

Levon = "while Levon slowly dies" — I think that was to make a design in the list. Try Johnny B. Goode.
Delilah = Murder story" — But Tom Jones' hips are making the women in the audience scream, "Me, kill me!"
Eli's Coming = "you better hide" — Well, yes hide, but dance like crazy on the way!
Mack the Knife = Serial Killer — But it's classic, like Shakespeare! Works in German, too.
Bad Bad Leroy Brown = clearly a bad man — But he was hip, and likeable to a certain element. Danceable.
Maxwell's silver Hammer = More Mayhem — But cheerful mayhem! And Beatle-y.
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance = The Man who Shot Liberty Valance — But the song is about the man who "was the bravest of them all," so it's actually hero worship.

It's going to be hard to avoid the downside songs, at least for me. Please don't make me sing happy songs! :rolleyes:

Revised expectation: Songs with some death in them are okay, but no outright, prolonged misery, like extended depression or flesh-eating bacteria. I did say "mostly happy songs."

peewee
06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Okay: Songs with some death in them are okay, but no outright, prolonged misery, like extended depression or flesh-eating bacteria. I did say "mostly happy songs."

Thanks Ginny, I'll stay on the upbeat funny danceable side side of misery and mayhem!

mds725
06-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I got "server not found" on your link, btw. Server must be down.

That link seems to be working now, but here's another webpage on the same subject:
http://antisuperstition.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58%3Adoes-a-full-moon-really-trigger-strange-behavior&catid=38%3Aghosts&Itemid=1

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Mark, is this the week you're going to jump into the Seasons? Hope so.

wee_ginga_yin
06-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Full frontal of Bad Leroy Brown.
Thought I had learned this off by heart, but I didn't.
Most of the words are in there but not in any particualr order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCrjLjuf-A

mds725
06-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Mark, is this the week you're going to jump into the Seasons? Hope so.

Finding a song I like (and can learn quickly) with a person's name in the title the least of my hurdles (Does Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday" count if I know someone named Monday? :) ), but every Sunday I tell myself I'd like this to be the week I jump in, so I remain hopeful.

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Google Songs with names in the title, and I'm sure you'll find something that you're familiar with. Then search for that title + ukulele chords and voilà! — a song for the Seasons! You've got 8 days to do it. We want you here, Mark.

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Full frontal of Bad Leroy Brown.
Thought I had learned this off by heart, but I didn't. Most of the words are in there but not in any particualr order.

Thanks for including this Rob, but I'd wanted new entries for this week. Traditionally we have a bonus list of second or third songs by a Seasonista for the theme, and sometimes apt songs that have been recorded earlier for other reasons. I wanted all fresh produce.

I've revised the original post to indicate I want only new songs for this week, as many as 4 per person.
Have you any danceable Finnish tunes with names in the titles? Maybe write something like I'll Knut Forget You, or Oh What a Night with Henrikka.

uke4ia
06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PwWnExhDc

Great theme, Ginny. Unfortunately, the only time I have this week to take part is one hour this afternoon. So I did the best I could on this tough song I've been working on the past few months. This is sort of a work in progress, and I hope to do another video someday when I can play it more cleanly.

This is "Sylvia" by the Dutch '70s progressive rock band Focus. They had one hit in the U.S. ("Hocus Pocus") and one hit in the U.K. ("Sylvia"). Perhaps some of our British Seasonistas will remember the song.

frisbee fred
06-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Ginny - of course you do this right AFTER I record Hey There Delilah......

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Ginny - of course you do this right AFTER I record Hey There Delilah......

Ah yes, and right after the Ukelites posted Mr. Moonlight. I did that to be particularly diabolical. (Actually, I'm hosting on short notice and this worked out quickly.)

xommen
06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
This is one of my Favourite Elvis Costello Song, and it fits this weeks theme, it's called Veronica.

http://youtu.be/7bHf9OJzMoE

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 10:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_IeY8LqTDM&feature=youtu.be

Goofball entries encouraged. Here, I'll start with Second Hand Rose.

wallyboy
06-23-2013, 11:03 AM
great theme ginny,
mr bojangles,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_qJApLL9n4
one of my fav songs

Hippie Dribble
06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks for hosting G. Here's my entry. Classic tin pan alley tune 'bout a bad boy done good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VKU2pNZ9Y

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 12:29 PM
uke4ia - Sylvia - Wow, that Sylvia must have been something to inspire an extended instrumental. She must have been a melody afloat in the life of the composer. That takes some memorizing, but you have a good memory pod. Thanks, Jim. (I love your "Seasons" opening.)

xommen - Veronica - This is a poignant portrait song, co-written by Paul McCartney. The "lyrics meaning" Google page says it's based on Elvis Costello's grandmother, who had Alzheimer's. The name Veronica means "true image," so I guess he wanted to show who she really was. A tender rendering, Wim.

wallyboy - Mr. Bojangles - Great choice for a person song, and your smile at the end shows what a favorite of yours it is. I'm glad you've gotten to be a regular contributor.

eugene - Big Bad Bill - A jumpin' tribute to the civilizing effects of marriage on a man. Thanks, Jon, for supporting women in their quest to "make men better"! ;)

Raygf
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm on a Beatles kick of late. I uploaded a video of "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" for my first entry and promptly received a matched third party content message. I deleted the video. Drat! On to another song.

uke4ia
06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Ray, it's okay if something matches third party content. You won't get in trouble from it, it just means that the owners of the copyright will get some tiny fraction of a penny every time someone watches your video. I've got at least a dozen videos that are flagged as matching third party content.

The problem is when a band doesn't let covers get posted at all of their songs (Supertramp is one). In those cases, your video will be deleted entirely by YouTube, and they'll tell you that you have a strike against you.

Raygf
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Ray, it's okay if something matches third party content. You won't get in trouble from it, it just means that the owners of the copyright will get some tiny fraction of a penny every time someone watches your video. I've got at least a dozen videos that are flagged as matching third party content.

The problem is when a band doesn't let covers get posted at all of their songs (Supertramp is one). In those cases, your video will be deleted entirely by YouTube, and they'll tell you that you have a strike against you.

Thanks for the info. I take anything down that gets flagged. Strange thing is, it's the 4th Beatles' tune I uploaded today. Go figure. The Supertramp thing baffles me. Oh well.

uke4ia
06-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Sometimes it will happen due to software that recognizes the song musically. But I've also found that a song with a distinctive title is more likely to be flagged, such as "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill".

Raygf
06-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Sometimes it will happen due to software that recognizes the song musically. But I've also found that a song with a distinctive title is more likely to be flagged, such as "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill".

I said the title in the video, but I did not label the video with the song name. I never do that. I'm going to rerecord in the next day or two and not say the title and maybe change the key to see if that makes any difference.

~dave~~wave~
06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Dink's Song

From Roger McGuinn's Folk Den.
I stole his arrangement and put in some an octave six-string uke instrumental breaks.
The neighborhood cardinal added his back porch harmonies.

Quite an interesting story on the history of the song here: http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?p=6927

http://youtu.be/jVk9EpkgPeE

Tootler
06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Here's a first one from me. Some Chuck Berry.

I recently acquired a multi effects box and I put my Risa through it to get the distorted sound. I also panned the uke and voice hard right and left and separated them in Audacity so I could edit the two differently.

http://youtu.be/A78lCwnTphg

I have another recorded but needs editing and have some ideas for a third.

mds725
06-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Hahaha! Like people would otherwise be stampeding to record Supertramp covers. My guess is that nobody ever records Supertramp covers anyway, and Supertramp saves itself the humiliation of obscurity by imposing a [totally unnecessary] ban on covers of its song so it can use the ban to explain the absence of any covers.

Hippie Dribble
06-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Hahaha! Like people would otherwise be stampeding to record Supertramp covers. My guess is that nobody ever records Supertramp covers anyway, and Supertramp saves itself the humiliation of obscurity by imposing a [totally unnecessary] ban on covers of its song so it can use the ban to explain the absence of any covers.

he he...I like the way you think brother :)

rem50
06-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Here's my go at it. I need someone to sing the bass beat for me! Ha! Just so you know, I sound a lot better when it's just me and my grandson (he is one and doesn't talk yet :) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvECS2zkjrk

Tootler
06-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I saw an interesting argument the other day about covers. The suggestion was that if you let people freely upload covers, it will give the song exposure and if people listening to the cover like it enough, they will go and buy the original. I think a lot of artists think that way so they don't ask for covers to be taken down and some actually encourage people to cover their songs.

In my experience, most "Matched third party" notices are by collection agencies after collecting money for copyright material, more to enhance their own profits than to serve the original copyright owners. Much of it is via web crawlers automatically trawling through You Tube and flagging up anything that might, possibly be relevant and they often get it wrong as several of the Matched Third Party notices I have had have been on public domain songs. A challenge usually gets the notice removed.

Tootler
06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I said the title in the video, but I did not label the video with the song name. I never do that. I'm going to rerecord in the next day or two and not say the title and maybe change the key to see if that makes any difference.

It doesn't make a jot of difference whether you put the title of the song in the video title or the info box or not. If they're going to happen, they'll happen however you label your video. Check the notice, it's surprising how often they get it wrong. About half of my notices have been on public domain songs and always challenge those. I once had one claiming copyright on a completely different song, so I challenged it. On another occasion, I was going to go and acknowledge the claim but I noticed a typo in the info box so I edited it first and the Matched third party notice disappeared! Much of it is done by automated web crawlers and they seem to get things wrong half the time, so go ahead and redo the song and don't worry about it. You might and might get another Matched third party notice. If you do check it and if it looks genuine you just need to check the acknowledge box and the worst that will happen is that ads might appear when someone watches your video. No big deal.

DWitt
06-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Ginny,
Excellent!
I've been anticipating this theme (and kind of keeping it up my sleeve for if I'm called on to host). Which isn't to say that I've prepared anything. However every song that I've considered so far is one of neurosis heartbreak and death.

This was my exact reaction. I looked through my bookmarks for name-songs I know or want to learn and haven't recorded for a previous season, and here's what I found:

Leonard Cohen, "Joan of Arc" = A love song between a young lady and a fire. They get married by the end, but it's hard not to notice that that's not actually happy.
Leonard Cohen, "Alexandra Leaving" = a love-lost song, loosely based on a poem about Marc Antony's defeat in Alexandra, leading to his suicide
The Mountain Goats, "Song for Dennis Brown " = death by overdose. Prominent, repeated mention of cause of death. Narrator also speculates about his own future death. By overdose.
The Mountain Goats, "In Memory of Satan" = Not really any explicitly Satanic content, but it is entirely about loneliness and isolation.
Iron and Wine, "Jezebel" = . . . Maybe this one would actually be okay. http://www.elyrics.net/read/i/iron-&-wine-lyrics/jezebel-lyrics.html
Sufjan Stevens, "John Wayne Gacy Jr." = John Wayne Gacy Jr. Yeah.

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Ray, YouTube flagged me for a match 18 seconds into "Little Honda" in Alan's Road week. I altered the name too.

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
This was my exact reaction. I looked through my bookmarks for name-songs I know or want to learn and haven't recorded for a previous season, and here's what I found:

Leonard Cohen, "Joan of Arc" = A love song between a young lady and a fire. They get married by the end, but it's hard not to notice that that's not actually happy.
Leonard Cohen, "Alexandra Leaving" = a love-lost song, loosely based on a poem about Marc Antony's defeat in Alexandra, leading to his suicide
The Mountain Goats, "Song for Dennis Brown " = death by overdose. Prominent, repeated mention of cause of death. Narrator also speculates about his own future death. By overdose.
The Mountain Goats, "In Memory of Satan" = Not really any explicitly Satanic content, but it is entirely about loneliness and isolation.
Iron and Wine, "Jezebel" = . . . Maybe this one would actually be okay. http://www.elyrics.net/read/i/iron-&-wine-lyrics/jezebel-lyrics.html
Sufjan Stevens, "John Wayne Gacy Jr." = John Wayne Gacy Jr. Yeah.

Oh my, what Pandora radio lists do you have going? I told Peewee that I didn't want abject misery and despair, but if we're talking about LIFE, well we know that stuff happens. I say no to John Wayne Gacy, but Jezebel and Satan seem okay. What about Jack and Diane? Bennie and the Jets? Ballad of John and Yoko? Good Golly, Miss Molly? Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

DWitt
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I say no to John Wayne Gacy, but Jezebel and Satan seem okay.

May I quote you on that? Ah, but I already have!

Yeah, no worries—there are a great many options . . . I just checked out my bookmarks as a starting point, and found the clear trend there pretty amusing.

My wife has suggested "Danny Boy," and "Sandy" from Grease. Okay, she's suggesting other things as I'm writing. "Peggy Sue." "Jessie's Girl." "Fancy."

GinnyT11
06-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Dave~~Wave - Dink's Song - I loved this! Nice saudade sound in your voice, and your usual good use of multitracking. I liked the story of the song, too. Excellent! (BTW, I had your kite on view in my week 70 song.)

Tootler - Johnny B. Goode - Geoff, you are getting wild, and it suits you very well! This was a terrific number from you. I love the Risa uke and I liked your phrasing in this song. This is one of my favorites of your videos.
Tootler Be Good!

rem50 - Runaround Sue - Oooooooh, Dean, you play soooo well! Eeeeeee!
You rocked this, man, with a great commitment to singing and just-right strumming. Very cool.

rem50
06-23-2013, 04:35 PM
thanks Ginny

TCK
06-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Tonight I had a small epiphany...I realized what I was meant to do in this life.
Melissa has had to endure this song (at varying levels of sobriety) for 20 years, though I have never played it before. Approaching the seasons right now with this "no practice spontaneous" approach- so yeah, I made y'all a video. One take wonder- second video this month where Melissa is fixing a cocktail in the intro- poor gal endures a lot ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clCwN1--SvI&feature=youtu.be

TCK
06-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Also good news- this happened on this thread as well! I have not laughed this hard in days!

Hippie Dribble
06-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Much too close to home this one. Great song, probably won't win the smiley face award though... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpDMNkLOOs

DWitt
06-24-2013, 02:23 AM
Much too close to home this one. Great song, probably won't win the smiley face award though... :p

Yay! I love this song, and it's a treat to hear your version of it!

pabrizzer
06-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Jennifer Juniper.
Donovan Leach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CXNCR43rKM

Ukeval
06-24-2013, 03:02 AM
I guess singing "A horse with no name" is not eligible... ;-)

Very nice contributions already, I'm preparing mine... !

GinnyT11
06-24-2013, 03:45 AM
TCK - Beth - A sad song, without the prospect of a happy ending for Beth. Very lovely singing, Dave. Raspy, but heartfelt. I'm impressed again.

Eugene - Song for Dennis Brown - Whew. That was a sad one. Your gentle picking made it more evocative and tender. And songwriter John Darnielle is headed just the same way?

Pabrizzer - Jennifer Juniper - I was but a tender bud when this song came out and I liked it a lot. (We also wondered if Donovan's Mellow Yellow was about smoking banana peels.) The baritone and your voice blend extremely well on this. Thanks much.

Ukeval
06-24-2013, 03:48 AM
here it is :

http://youtu.be/fFUKLDLzrNQ

Barbablanca
06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
My entry this week is an original song with two names in the title. Kintpuash (the native American name of the main character) and "Captain Jack" the name that the "whites" referred to him by. This song was inspired by the Modoc chapter of "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee". It is a bit long, by my usual standards, but it has to condense an entire chapter of the book into a few verses. Think of it as firmly within the Ballad tradition.

The lyrics are on the Youtube page. Click on "see more" in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=squvjbaNnWo&feature=youtube_gdata

BTW, this incident was the only one in which a serving US General was killed during the "Indian Wars" - George Armstrong Custer was awarded his Generalship posthumously....

UkeyDave
06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
This one's for my gran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfAtXRoA8zI

wee_ginga_yin
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Song written by Kris Kristofferson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpIirW0svY) and made popular by Janis Joplin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ-QfMv7Fzw)
A song for around the campfire on the beach, when the boys wanted
to be seen to be sensitive to impress the girls... and escape from the mosquitos (http://youtu.be/-nWrBrtsouA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Y38iNUQsU

decaturcomp
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZz6L7mDB5k

GinnyT11
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
UkeVal - Astrid's Waltz - I'm glad you had a song with a name in the title up your sleeve. A Season is always better with your elegant playing. You've provided us with a very beautiful moment.

Barbablanca - Kintpuash - Nice writing, Berni. It seems like you can make anything into a song, and this was a sad episode in our history. (How about the fall of the Roman Empire next?)
The 8-string sounds great. I also like how you emphasize the phrasing here and there.

Ukeydave - Goodnight Irene - That's a sweet melody for a bit of heartache. I used to think it was a love song till I learned the lyrics. The character is quite conflicted. I'm sure your gran is smiling that you're singing it for her, and indeed, it's a very nice salute to her.

wee_ginga_yin - Me and Bobby McGee - And did you impress the girls with your sensitivity when you sang this song? Or did they see through your ruse?
Nice easy tempo on that Makala; you make really good use of whatever uke you have. That lyric about "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" has oft been quoted.

decaturcomp - Alison - Well, that's a nicely played and thoughtfully sung song with a SCARY PREMISE. Egad, the guy should mind his own business. Thanks for the fine Favilla handling.

Anyone interested in doing Pancho and Lefty? Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey?
What about Timothy? It's a stretch to say that cannibalism is part of regular life, but the song is danceable.

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
A little beyond my ability but what's the Seasons about if not trying to stretch. For you who know the song - yes, I appear to have sung an alternate ending not contemplated by Don McClean. You get what you pay for.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwYat91EvqY

Jazzbanjorex
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Frank Morris
Capital Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvhF4fdJCI&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Daisy Jane
America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvC9u7QLRmA&feature=youtu.be

GinnyT11
06-24-2013, 04:34 PM
frisbee fred - Vincent - Very nice ballad work, Fred, with perfect gentle picking. Steady pace and playing all the way through. I especially liked the way you sang the choruses.

jazzbanjorex - Frank Morris - The title character is not named in the song, but I recognized the story. It was made into a film called Escape from Alcatraz, with Clint Eastwood as Morris. Great search skills, Rex, to turn up this very interesting song.

jazzbanjorex - Daisy Jane - A completely different style here...wistful and yearning. Sweet playing.

Anyone for I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair? The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Anyone for I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair? The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

Kind of a big difference between those songs there Ginny........

GinnyT11
06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, you can submit four entries.

bonesigh
06-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Come on, all you cats and kittens—get your dancing shoes on! Okay Ginny, there on, So I thought this song would be appropriate ( :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms9cqW-j23M&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Shilo
Neil Diamond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNsV7sdrEg&feature=youtu.be
Done for tonight. Goodnight.

decaturcomp
06-24-2013, 05:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaMS3Q2nwSI

another slow dance...
guess I'm not the life of the party type.

erivel
06-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Here's a quick cover of one of my favorite Beatle tunes, written by Arthur Alexander. Enjoy! :)

http://youtu.be/pMZyQbIt-Os

bbbannister
06-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Feeling like I've started to emerge from the house moving fog :-)

Should be getting broadband today ;)

Looking forward to posting again soon.

BB

CharlotteC
06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Bad news for Aunt Rhody I'm afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esm33fNJXPU

xommen
06-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Another entry: We the kings - Check yes Juliet

http://youtu.be/HcJNvLtrPZk

pabrizzer
06-25-2013, 03:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42kNd1nDUk

GinnyT11
06-25-2013, 05:07 AM
bonesigh - Emily Miller - That's a cute song, and I'm sure kids love it. I helped out in my son's preschool many, many years ago, and would have been a star if I could have played that. Your uke is lovely, and how special that your daughter painted it.

jazzbanjorex - Shiloh - The garage is the place to really wail, so I'm glad it allowed you to sing out. Great vocal, and the 6-string gives it some depth. I enjoyed this a lot.

decaturcomp - Martha - This a perfect tune to show Waits' ethos of singing. It's packed with yearning for youth and the validation of love. Your voice is great for this, and it's a fine performance because I know your life isn't like the one in the song. Very well done.

erivel - Anna - Oh, such an excellent performance! John sang this on the Beatles' Please, Please Me album, and it seemed an aberration of style at the time because it was complex and filled with painful yearning...something very young singers don't do too well. You knocked this into another time zone.

CharlotteC - Go Tell Aunt Rhody - Miss Cha, you're getting to be a more confident performer! That's a sweet tune. Please favor us with more of your songs.

xommen - Check Yes, Juliet - Yes, run away with me, darling! Later on this young couple appeared in Ron Stewart's Young Hearts Be Free Tonight.
Nice work, Wim. I like your vocals and the little bit of syncopation. And the ay-ohs.

pabrizzer - Lay Down, Sally - I love this song, especially Clapton doing it. I hadn't thought about blues being played on a banjolele, but in your hands it was very effective. Thanks for playing it that way.

UKISOCIETY
06-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Too busy packing for Latvia to participate this week. But I'm hoping someone will cover "Timothy!"

xommen
06-25-2013, 07:33 AM
And one other entry: Kayla by Flying Colors

http://youtu.be/HBMJIc1GCco

myrnaukelele
06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
What a fun theme this week Ginny. SO many songs to pick from. This is an old song from 1911 by Irving Berlin. These folks are off to hear the band...

http://youtu.be/NBFBQ9deDvg

redpaul1
06-25-2013, 09:59 AM
In another thread I mentioned how Essex is England's answer to New Jersey, and cited The Only Way Is Essex [TOWIE] vs. Jersey Shore in support of my argument.
TOWIE is set (mainly) in Billericay....

http://youtu.be/XCSTB-0-jpE

erivel
06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Song #2. Another quick recording. The last time I put up a Suzanne Vega song YouTube or Sony decided it couldn't be viewed in the USA. Hope this works!

http://youtu.be/Eq_SVmAvu-0

GinnyT11
06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
xommen - Kayla - I admire your great devotion to U2, but I also like to hear you play other songs and other styles. I'm unfamiliar with this one, but the sentiment has been in songs for lifetimes: life is dark and drear, except when I'm with you. What girl wouldn't want to hear that?

myrnaukulele - Alexander's Ragtime Band - This is a title I had on my list in the first post, but it didn't fit into the graphic design. You bring us nice sunshine here—the colorful flowers, the short sleeves and sunhat, and the cheery tune. I liked the banjo here a lot.
(Did I tell that Alexander the Great helped develop the prototype of the wristwatch? It was cloth soaked in certain herbs that made it change color as the body heated it. It was called Alexander's rag timeband.)

redpaul1 - Billiricay Dickie - Wow, Paul, I had to look up those lyrics because the Essex dialect falls awkwardly on my ear. Dickie is a rough and randy fellow, and I'm so glad he's not a blooming thickie. Would this have been a music hall number, sung to raucous crowd laughter?

erivel - Luka - A seriously socially relevant song. Are you at summer camp? It's nice to hear you play a single-track song on a modest uke because it goes to show that the player matters way more than the instrument.

xommen
06-25-2013, 11:05 AM
If we can do 4 song why not do 4 song ;). Here is my last entry for this week Kayleigh by Marillion.

http://youtu.be/Z1fBdoVo1aU

southside mike
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_7oMrAJLww
I can't begin to tell how many songs with names in the title that I have came across in the last few days.
This is Joanne by Michael Nesmith.

Tootler
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Here's a second entry from me. Jock O' Hazeldean was written by Sir Walter Scott. He reworked a much older ballad and changed the story slightly to give it a different ending from the original which had the conventional happy ending where girl finds her true love. You'll have to listen to the song to see how this one ends. This is one of my favourite folk songs.

http://youtu.be/P9CgOC6HgO0

lakesideglenn
06-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Nice one Mike! Havent heard it in awhile but I used to be a big Mike Nesmith fan...even had a green wool hat with a ball on top!

Cheers!

Tootler
06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
And here's another.

Lovely Joan is about a young woman outwitting a would be seducer and was originally collected in Norfolk. Vaughan Williams used the tune as the second theme in his Fantasia on Greensleeves. I played a recorder and piano arrangement for an exam once and left out a big chunk of the intro but still somehow managed an A! (The only time I ever did, btw)

Anyway here's the song.

http://youtu.be/3JsZ07JgA2c

I had a bit of a cough and stuttered a couple of times. I ran out of time and just had to use the best (least bad) take.

southside mike
06-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I saw him in a small venue here in Atlanta in the early 90's and wouldn't tell anyone that I was going and after the concert I think I told everyone that I knew how great he was.

southside mike
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZEMzMleT0g
I remember the Nat King Cole version of this song playing on the car radio back in the late 50's. It was one of my earliest memories of music and riding in a car.

librainian
06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
The Ballad of Eddie Klepp by Chuck Brodsky

http://youtu.be/gH5_d_PpvcM

librainian
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
My uke arrangement of Lilly by Pink Martini

http://youtu.be/lwv2mULBjs0

ombracorta
06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Cecilia! From Simon & Garfunkel

http://youtu.be/WOY-QDD0dqM

GaryC1968
06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
This song is "Paul Revere", but it's not about the guy who warned that the British were coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZjws6zR3A

Booli
06-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Here's my first entry for Season 71. I plan to do at least one other.

http://youtu.be/Pk7fWiXF-KI

In case the video embed is wonky (I'm still new to posting media files in this forum), here's a direct link to the video: http://youtu.be/Pk7fWiXF-KI

When I was a small child in the early years (I can't remember what grade exactly), during 'music time', the teacher would play this song on guitar, and all the kids in the class would hold hands in a circle and dance and since this song (among others) in a sort of 'Ring Around The Rosies' style.

This is my first time singing in over 10 yrs. My voice is weak and pitch confidence is low, so I figured I'd start with something simpler for my first singing video. This recording is after 2 days of practice. Please be kind as there's no AutoTune here (like so many songs these days). I want to learn and perfect at least one other song this week, so I had to accept that this performance is as good as it gets right now, at least vocally.

The song book I refer to in the video is 'The Daily Ukulele' by Liz & Jim Beloff, which can be found here: http://www.dailyukulele.com/dailyukulele365/index.html

redpaul1
06-26-2013, 12:46 AM
redpaul1 - Billericay Dickie - Wow, Paul, I had to look up those lyrics because the Essex dialect falls awkwardly on my ear. Dickie is a rough and randy fellow, and I'm so glad he's not a blooming thickie. Would this have been a music hall number, sung to raucous crowd laughter?

Ian Durie drew a lot on the music hall tradition, but this is straight from 1977, punk's year zero, taken from Ian Durie's (and the Blockheads') debut album, New Boots And Panties!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Boots_and_Panties!!)

Andy Serkis, of 'Gollum' fame, has recently starred in a very well-received biopic of Ian Dury, Sex And Drugs And Rock'n'Roll (http://www.serkis.com/sex-and-drugs-and-rock-and-roll-movie.html). Check it out if you get the chance.

Billericay, Essex gives its name to Billerica, MA. Sadly however, that Billerica finds itself stranded in the (MA) county of Middlesex.

Dougf
06-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Thought I'd have a little fun with the video on this one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbitFQ4luNk

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 03:26 AM
I had this ready to post last night, but the Forum was down for a while. I'm sure none of you was aware of it.

xommen - Kaleigh - I prefer a song with a little more melodic lift, but this is a good contrast to your other entries this season. Also another stylistic difference for you with this thumb strumming and plucking. Thanks, Wim.

Southside Mike - Joanne - Mike Nesmith was the only real musician in the Monkees. He wrote Different Drummer for Stone Pony, a song I understood, but I don't quite understand the situation with Joanne and her running. Anyway, Mike, I liked your simple playing on this, and the vocal was great---the hums were great.

Tootler - Jock O'Hazeldean - Geoff, this is so like Lucia di Lammermoor, which was written by Walter Scott as well. And in opera, it is never a good idea to make a girl marry someone she doesn't want to! All that weepin' and wailing' — "she loot the tears doon fa' Jock O' Hazeldean." But this song ends much better for the arranged spouse than it did for Lucia's.

Tootler - Lovely Joan - Oh, I like this story song! Lovely Joan is a maiden of great spunk and ingenuity. So modern. Is that your Bruko? It sounds quite nice. And we got to see you put away your sound equipment, too!

Southside Mike - Rambling Rose - Oh, I like the little quickness in your voice! Nice personal interpretation of Nat's great song. Thanks for bringing this for the week.

libranian - Ballad of Eddie Klepp - This is a fine historical story song, and it's surprising too. I'm not going to comment on the lyrics because others should get their own kick out of it. The car is a good studio for you---you do good work there, both singing and strumming.

libranian - Lilly - I have a Pink Martini Pandora station, so much do I love the group. I really like your strumming, and the whistling interlude is nice. You've got the energy of the song going here.

Ombracorta - Cecelia - Wow, oh wow, Saverio! Nice, nice, nice rendition of this. (If only you could enjoy yourself more when you play... :)) Your multitracking gives you two chances to really let your vocals go. My favorite part is the rhythm lamb toy.

GaryC1968 - Paul Revere - I thought for a moment that you were doing another poem that you set to music because I don't know the Beastie Boys' songs too well. The life of an outlaw is rough and tumble. Steady pace and good singing on it.

ombracorta
06-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Ombracorta - Cecelia - Wow, oh wow, Saviero! Nice, nice, nice rendition of this. (If only you could enjoy yourself more when you play... ) Your multitracking gives you two chances to really let your vocals go. My favorite part is the rhythm lamb toy.

Thanks Ginny! I really enjoy myself a lot when I play :D I would be very hard enjoying myself more than this!!
I think my face is just focused on reading lyrics, singing and playing and maybe a little tired as I use to record at late night, after a day of work, hoping not to wake children upstairs :)
The rhythm toy is one of Mimi's favorites too :D

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Thanks Ginny! I really enjoy myself a lot when I play :D I would be very hard enjoying myself more than this!!
I think my face is just focused on reading lyrics, singing and playing and maybe a little tired as I use to record at late night, after a day of work, hoping not to wake children upstairs :)
The rhythm toy is one of Mimi's favorites too :D

Uh oh, I was speaking ironically because it's clear you were having a great time. I've put a smiley in the comment to show what I meant.

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 04:06 AM
booli - Mary Had a Little Lamb - Booli, congrats for jumping in with videos as a beginning uker. It's hard to do, especially if you're not accustomed to singing when you play. But your musical background is a good platform from which to rise and you will quickly feel more at ease singing and playing. You have poise and I like how you made this a "stage performance." The inset images were a nice touch.

Dougf - Darwin Almost Got Me - This is hilarious, Doug. The contrast between the brisk, jazzy tune and the Stan Laurel-style shelter-building was très amusant. I also want to commend your production designer for adding that mist on the mountaintops—such a nice touch.

ombracorta
06-26-2013, 04:27 AM
Uh oh, I was speaking ironically because it's clear you were having a great time. I've put a smiley in the comment to show what I meant.

ahahhaah ok sorry I didn't understand you was joking! Now I feel like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory :rolleyes:

wee_ginga_yin
06-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Miss D. would not be pleased. Entry No2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ71hb0MIYw

thesillydave
06-26-2013, 04:41 AM
howdy howdy! a song from Trout Fishing In America,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_JfGPZGJDY
cheers!

UkeyDave
06-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Here is my second entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjeOa4geEw

frisbee fred
06-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Audrey is home from school to visit for 5 days so we had to record together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ4kZVKndHw

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 08:53 AM
wee_ginga_yin - Lili Marlene - Oh, I was going to do this one, as it's the first song I could memorize. It's poignant in any circumstances, even on a sunny summer day in Finland. Thanks for this version.

thesillydave - Sam's Last Boogie - Tip-top, Dave! A little bit naughty, but really bouncy and it's about dancing. So, excellent all around. Great strumming on this to give it the energy it needs.

UkeyDave - Suzanne, Beware of the Devil - This is a nice change-up of style for you. There are so many things that can pull a relationship apart that I hadn't thought about having to scan for the devil too. Nice performance.

Frisbee Fred - Daniel - This duet is charming, both the rendition and the familial warmth between you. What does Audrey need to go to college for, when she and her sister could both be singing and uking with Dad every Season?

Karmic and aloha-ic reminder:
If you like to get comments, be sure to give comments, and not only to your favorite people.

we tigers
06-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Here's a little instrumental called Scott and Lesley by Dutch band Daryll-Ann. Their album Weeps is very special to us.

http://youtu.be/leuP3Sssm0I

UkeyDave
06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
In another thread I mentioned how Essex is England's answer to New Jersey, and cited The Only Way Is Essex [TOWIE] vs. Jersey Shore in support of my argument.
TOWIE is set (mainly) in Billericay....

http://youtu.be/XCSTB-0-jpE

I absolutely INSIST you do CLEVER TREVOR next. ;)

GaryC1968
06-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Here is my second entry (probably my last, but who knows).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9G_MJUs4I

Jazzbanjorex
06-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Caroline's Spine, Sullivan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_7QUI6nMS8&feature=youtu.be

redpaul1
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I absolutely INSIST you do CLEVER TREVOR next. ;)

Hahaha! Thanks! I did have a look at that one, but the arrangement defeated me. Chas Jankel and Norman Watt-Roy must be the two jazziest punk-rockers ever. In any case, I won't have time to work on it now as I'm off to France for the w/end - Festival International de Ukulélé de Lorraine - it's most fun you can have with your clothes on :)

~dave~~wave~
06-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Eugene's "Song For Dennis Brown" just floored me.

So I'm compelled to cover a Dennis Brown tune, "Cassandra."

http://youtu.be/oxa29eSriz4

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
we tigers - Scott and Lesley - Oh, another one I'll have to put in my Favorites list. That was a sweet delight, diaphanous and floaty. Well done, tigers...again.

GaryC1968 - Noah Killed the Dinosaurs - An original GaryC work! Very amusing, and a perfectly good theory. But why would Noah want to live to be 900? As Gershwin wrote for Porgy & Bess, "who calls that livin' when no gal will give in to no man what's 900 years."
(My husband went to Wichita State. He said that wheat shocker mascot was funny-looking at football games.)

jazzbanjorex - Sullivan - Rex, I find this a compelling song. It's based on a real incident (also made into a 1944 film called The Fighting Sullivans). The fate of the five brothers caused the Defense Dept. to change its policy and afterward it forbade siblings in the same units. The aim of preventing such family loss again was the premise of the story in Saving Private Ryan. You delivered it very well.

Have all you Seasonistas following this thread checked out the exciting group singalong project described here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82492-Want-to-be-in-our-SEASONISTAS-ANTHEM-video

bird's eye view of my ukelele
06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Bad news for Aunt Rhody I'm afraid.

lol!

yeah but he had a good innings, right?

decaturcomp
06-26-2013, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NL7vAdo9Zg

...it was just that the time was wrong

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi gang! Great theme this week, Ginny! So tough to find songs with names in the title that aren't downers. I got one recorded today, despite the onset of a crummy sore throat and cough.

This is the first week I've had any free time in three months, so I spent some of it digging through my (always growing) stack of ukulele books for a song with a name in its title that'd be new to me.

I found a sweet love song by ukulele master Herb Ohta in Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters: Herb Ohta (which I need to spend more time playing through---great songs and arrangements). It's called "Jeanie". Ohta's version is a lovely ukulele solo, so I went for strumming and singing, instead...

http://youtu.be/kz4FKGPtaTY

thesillydave
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
here's another odd name song, "Old Blevins", by the austin lounge lizards...a story song...kind of fun...hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/S1-NnFlxTKM
cheers seasonistas!

pabrizzer
06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Johnny Come Lately.
The Pogues played on the original of this Steve Earle song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4XUsXsLFg

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Dave~Wave - Cassandra - Excellent, Dave! Especially with your Jamaica uke and your island shirt. You put extra oomph in your songs when you play standing, and this felt like it might have been at an outdoor peformance. Everyt'ing's irie for sure now.

decaturcomp - Romeo and Juliet - Very nice work, Alan. Your playing was easy and your singing had a real lonely center, which suited this song. And you played the outro with your eyes closed.

theonlyukethatmatters - Jeanie - That was a romantic little bonbon. Again, you picked the right uke for it, and you performed it softly and tenderly. I'm sure Jeanie would stick around forever for that kind of attention.

thesillydave - Old Blevins - Hahahaha! Insight strikes in unexpected ways sometimes. This is a great song for your your voice and you already had a good sweat-stained hat, so it was a win for thesillycowboy.
(I've also heard of this as Blitherer's Disease, when the filter between the brain and the mouth breaks down.)

pabrizzer - Johnny Come Lately - This is a deep song about a painful time, and the disparity in the reaction to the two wars described is sadly true. My dad flew cargo planes in WWII and also in Vietnam, after which he retired. During one job interview for a new job, the interviewer commented, "I suppose it's hard for you hired killers to find work." Happily, it's different now: one indication is that military personnel in uniform are allowed to pre-board commercial flights before families with children.

we tigers
06-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Came home early from work today. Kids at daycare, wife at work; perfect opportunity for a song.
It's Sweet Lorraine. I recorded it before for season 31 (Rain week), but I have a bari from a friend lying around that I wanted to use and turn it into a jazzy slow dance. So here it is.

http://youtu.be/xuWruP0IgxA

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Angie
Suzanne
Sherry
Ruby
Nadine
Lucille
Roxanne
Carrie Ann
Georgie Girl

Hey, Joe
Louie, Louie
Major Tom
Amos Moses
Stagger Lee
Hit the Road, Jack
Jumping Jack Flash
Five Guys Named Moe

peewee
06-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi All,

This theme is working out nicely!
I got a surprise day off today, and since I'm Home Alone for the next few, I go to spread instruments all over the house and try to do a proper multitrack recording.
It is a bit of a fail, as you will see, as I'm having audio sync issues with my imovie capture, and I can't seem to follow a click track, but if approached with the typically generous spirit of the seasons, I think there might be some enjoyment in there for you.
It's an old time classic Old Joe Clark. Some of the verses are standard, some I have only heard Woody Guthrie do and there's a custom uke verse in there too.

Hoedown time!
http://youtu.be/K21kTp5Ayew

http://youtu.be/K21kTp5Ayew

strumsilly
06-27-2013, 06:26 AM
been away for a few weeks, glad to be back. Here's one I used to love from my college days, especially since I has a girlfriend named Amy for a time back then.

http://youtu.be/lU5gvsc93Ak

greyghost
06-27-2013, 06:28 AM
OK, I was surprised this one hadn't been done yet, so I thought I'd better jump on it, as it suits my voice well (and it's a LOT of fun to sing like Tom Jones while strumming a pineapple--there's something oddly incongruous, yet perfect about it). Here's my take on Delilah:
http://youtu.be/NOAPPs1VAHs

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 08:13 AM
we tigers - Sweet Lorraine - Michael, you have just proved that you NEED a baritone uke (in addition to a Kanilea). That was so smooth and easy—beautiful! The snapping track was just enough extra, and the cinematography is perfect to use a frame as your album cover.

peewee - Old Joe Clark - Well, I hope you get unexpected days off more often! Creativity can stretch out in open-ended time. You regularly do clever things in your videos, but this raises you to a new level. Well sung, and the many extra tracks made it quite interesting. Was that your daughter or you playing the violin?

strumsilly - Amy - A very appealing performance, Andy. The song is very well suited to your voice. I know you like tenors, but the KoAloha concert has a big enough sound to balance you. Great choice of song.
It's good to see you here again.

greyghost - Delilah - Luis, we do NOT see you or hear your baritone voice enough here in the Seasons. I hope the summer will give you more time to participate. Your cool version made this seem more like a blues song of regret...like the guy is singing it on death row. I liked it a lot.

UkeyDave
06-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Eugene's "Song For Dennis Brown" just floored me.

So I'm compelled to cover a Dennis Brown tune, "Cassandra."

http://youtu.be/oxa29eSriz4
Fantastic cover Dave. Loved it.

UkeyDave
06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Another entry from me. I completely messed up the ending so this one ends pretty abruptly as I really didn't want to record it all again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG6LWQfJm-o

peewee
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
peewee - Old Joe Clark - Well, I hope you get unexpected days off more often! Creativity can stretch out in open-ended time. You regularly do clever things in your videos, but this raises you to a new level. Well sung, and the many extra tracks made it quite interesting. Was that your daughter or you playing the violin?

Thanks Ginny, I think I need to learn the multitrack thing. I can do the audio, but doing the video at the same time seems to be beyond my aging brain and computer for now. I wish it came out more like what I heard in my head. And no, I am home alone for a little while, so I can record 2AM violin tracks without getting in trouble. If my daughter were around, the fiddle break would have been longer, cleaner, and I certainly would have played the cute card. Thanks

frisbee fred
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Another project with Audrey! Austin1 called me a "multi-tracking beast" in another forum so I had to try to live up to the moniker. Here's our first attempt at doing several tracks. The video is in Live Movie Maker and the audio tracks are in Mixcraft 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3wtSVwD3s

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks Ginny, I think I need to learn the multitrack thing. I can do the audio, but doing the video at the same time seems to be beyond my aging brain and computer for now. I wish it came out more like what I heard in my head. And no, I am home alone for a little while, so I can record 2AM violin tracks without getting in trouble. If my daughter were around, the fiddle break would have been longer, cleaner, and I certainly would have played the cute card. Thanks

Well since you're home alone, Peewee, go on and record your SeasonistasAnthem track. Be the second participant to do so.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82492-Want-to-be-in-our-SEASONISTAS-ANTHEM-video

austin1
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
random question, Mack the Knife is a name song? I always thought "Mack" was a before-my-time slang verb. For what, I wasn't entirely sure. Are you positive that Mack the Knife is not an action?

frisbee fred
06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
random question, Mack the Knife is a name song? I always thought "Mack" was a before-my-time slang verb. For what, I wasn't entirely sure. Are you positive that Mack the Knife is not an action?

Mack Heath is the character in the Three Penny Opera from which this song comes.

austin1
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Mack Heath is the character in the Three Penny Opera from which this song comes.

No way, it's definitely a verb. Like a dance move or something. Isn't that a dance? "Macking?"

frisbee fred
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
No way, it's definitely a verb. Like a dance move or something. Isn't that a dance? "Macking?"
Oh, yes of course. What was I thinking......

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM

"...someone sneaking 'round the corner. Could that someone be Mack the Knife?"

Will you sing it in German?

peewee
06-27-2013, 10:38 AM

To Mack in the Hip Hop sense would be pander, as in to pimp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0llmBIELI
Mack is also a great 40s name used as a generic tag for someone you don't know, as in " Hey Mack, what's the big idea?"
http://youtu.be/dD8oGkTYpwc

austin1
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh, yes of course. What was I thinking......

But what does the Mack dance look like? Like flailing limbs?

"...someone sneaking 'round the corner. Could that someone be Mack the Knife?"

Will you sing it in German?

Mal gucken ob ich zuerst diese Hausarbeit überlebe :D

peewee
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I second the Mack the Knife in German request:
http://youtu.be/aPG9GcykPIY

http://german.about.com/library/blmus_hknef04.htm

austin1
To Mack in the Hip Hop sense would be pander, as in to pimp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0llmBIELI
Mack is also a great 40s name used as a generic tag for someone you don't know, as in " Hey Mack, what's the big idea?"
http://youtu.be/dD8oGkTYpwc

ahhhh, now we know!

austin1
I second the Mack the Knife in German request:
http://youtu.be/aPG9GcykPIY

I didn't even know it was in German!

Edit: Just kidding, it's Mackie Messer. Didn't the Ukelites do a super awesome version of that song?

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
UkeyDave - Mack the Knife - Super chunking, there—you've got a a great rhythm going! It sounds great on your resonator, and I'm sure you could get some cabaret gigs playing that. Women might even buy you drinks, you're so cool.

Frisbee Fred - Barbara Ann - Oh, we needed some Beach Boys, and this was with added Audrey! What a super backup singer she is. (If Ray Charles' backup singers were the Raylettes, Fred's backup singer would be...) This is a really nice duet, and I'm very glad you put out this rockin' tune.

Seasonistas, please check that I've got your song in the playlist.

mattydee
06-27-2013, 01:06 PM
But seriously Tina, in this case, Mack actually is the nickname for MacHeath, who is the anti-hero at the center of the Threepenny Opera, by Brecht. Threepenny was written in 1931, with music by Kurt Weill.

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 01:31 PM
But seriously Tina, in this case, Mack actually is the nickname for MacHeath, who is the anti-hero at the center of the Threepenny Opera, by Brecht. Threepenny was written in 1931, with music by Kurt Weill.

It's based on The Beggar's Opera, written in 1728.

KoaDependent
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
...by John Gay and performed in a theater run by John Rich. The quote of the day was that the Beggar's Opera "made Gay very rich and Rich very gay".

Here endeth the theater history lesson. Back to the music.

redpaul1
06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Major Tom
Major Tom's cited in 'Space Oddity' and 'Ashes to Ashes', but there's no song with that name in the title - one reason why I didn't do 'English Civil War'.

Along Came Jones
Big John
Charlie Brown
Clementine (Decemberists)
Daisy, Daisy
Hey Joe
Janie Jones
Lady Godiva (Peter & Gordon!!)
Layla
Lola
Melissa
Michelle
Oh, My Darling Clementine (trad.)
Peggy Sang The Blues
Puff The Magic Dragon (Peter, Paul & Mary!!!)
Rosalita
Sandy (4th July, Asbury Park)
Snoopy vs The Red Baron
Sugar, that sugar baby of mine
Sugar, Sugar
Sweet Georgia Brown

http://youtu.be/Saz0FrMvlq8?t=1m35s
Gotta be bonus points for doing it in Polish!

Sylvia's Mother
The Wind Cries Mary
Waltzing Matilda/Marching with Marlborough
When Johnny Comes Marching Home
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (pts 1 & 2)

KoaDependent
06-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Major Tom's cited in 'Space Oddity' and 'Ashes to Ashes', but there's no song with that name in the title

Unless you count that horrible Peter Schilling ripoff in the 80's - Major Tom (Coming Home)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IVp3uqYZZQ

And you know what? Let's not count that, shall we?

GinnyT11
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Puff The Magic Dragon (Peter, Paul & Mary!!!)

Great list of ideas, Paul. This one above wouldn't count, though, as it's not a person.
There's also Jubilation T. Cornpone, from the musical Li'l Abner.

peewee
06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
There are som many more name songs to do: I have a long list..
but here's another
Harry Irene by Captain Beefheart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4u0dCFqaNc

I don't think the Capt. has made it into the seasons yet, so here you go. It's a very conventional song for him, and the performance could use a little more rehearsal..

I fixed the sync issues by shooting with a DSLR, and plugging the mic in, but picked up lots of audio noise.

http://youtu.be/jG5eQsHlhzQ

http://youtu.be/jG5eQsHlhzQ

peewee
06-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Two in a row!

Here's a song I first heard in the back of a taxi in Newport Rhode Island in 1979. That was a revelatory moment for me.
We're Only Making Plans for Nigel by the mighty XTC. Original: http://youtu.be/gXNhL4J_S00

http://youtu.be/Ozl1UDpfwOo

http://youtu.be/Ozl1UDpfwOo

bonesigh
06-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Wow, I really need to play catch up on watching all the great videos this week.
Here's another from me, my second entry. "Me and Julio" by Paul Simon (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYO4bn2Bh0&feature=youtu.be

Hippie Dribble
06-27-2013, 07:07 PM
here's a crazy song off the Abbey Road album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jy-hZsOfA8

thesillydave
06-27-2013, 07:53 PM
and yet...another! fun season!

http://youtu.be/bw7nr9na6Ig
cheers y'all!

ukuLily Mars
06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
I didn't even know it was in German!

Edit: Just kidding, it's Mackie Messer. Didn't the Ukelites do a super awesome version of that song?

They did! It's one of my favorite videos!

peewee
06-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Here's the last of my four song allotment:
Candy Says by the Velvet Underground
http://youtu.be/CEVyf6y_-Y4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Velvet_Underground_(album)
It's about Candy Darling, a Warhol entoutrage member: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Darling
Chords: http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/060108.html

It was content matched by YT in about 5 seconds, despite nonsense spelling. Oh well.
Played on a Mainland Bari with Guadalupe linear low-octave GCEA strings.

http://youtu.be/1FT6OvCRz-Y

http://youtu.be/1FT6OvCRz-Y

I need to finish watching the entries now!

There are so many other songs I would like to tackle. This kind of season is like a musical rorschach test.
I don't even have my list handy, but here are some ideas:

Angie - Stones
Brandi by The Looking Glass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU
Caroline Says - Velvet Underground
Stephanie Says - VU
Sweet Jane - VU
Ida Red (Trad.)
Dear Madame Barnum - XTC
Mr Soul- Neil Young
Lola - Clapton
Gloria - Them
Gloria - Patti Smith
Wendy - Beach Boys
Tom Dooley - Trad
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Laura - Soundtrack - preferably a Spike Jones version: http://youtu.be/1Y-X3lUcmNA
Pretty Boy Floyd - Woody Guthrie
See Emilie Play - Pink Floyd
Rikki Don't Lose that number - Steely Dan
Sweet Virginia - Stones
Sookie Sookie - Don Covay
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash
Frankie and Johnny - who did this song first?
Judy was a punk - Ramones
Suzy was a Headbanger - Ramones
Josephine - Noel Coward
Johny Hit and Run Paulene (sic)- X
Mandy - Barry Manilow
Johnny's Gonna Die - Replacements
Quand Marilou Dance Reggae - Gainsbourg
and on and on

thanks for a great week.

filipinouker
06-28-2013, 12:02 AM
This was recorded on my last day in the Philippines... It was extremely HOT, HUMID & uncomfortable - so hard to sing/play, hence this rubbish cover!

In the last couple of weeks, being in the house I grew up in and walking along the streets where, as a child & as a teenager, I used to play, ride my bike and hang out with the other kids, this song ("Frankie") came to mind.

"Frankie" represents all my adolescent crushes (I had LOTS!), and being in my old neighbourhood, singing this song, brought back all the bitter-sweet emotions of puppy love at 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXOUglOlVU

GinnyT11
06-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Peewee - Harry Irene - I spent a long time watching this...because the recycle truck came by, then went the other way. Anyway, it was worth starting over a couple times. The lyrics to this song seem to have been written by stoners conversing meditatively late at night, but the tune is very soothing and you did really well highlighting the slow strumming with adept picking. Loved the whistling interlude.

Peewee - We're Only Making Plans for Nigel - Poor Nigel...did you ever speculate on what happened to him? Did he end up like Richard Corey? This worked really well with the soprano uke, so the fairly depressing song turned out bouncy. Nice mix of styles you're doing for this foursome of songs.

Bonesigh - Me and Julio - Great strumming and energetic singing. And very fine whistling! Nice performance, Janet, thank you. Let's see more of your ukes as you enter up to 4 songs.
(As an editor, I think what should be against the law is that "what did Mama saw?")

Eugene Ukulele - Maxwell's Silver Hammer - Jon, you always play well, but this was a superfine performance. I liked the looseness you got because you're standing, and because you're looking down at the camera, you're engaging us more with your face. You played the whole song as if you know it's absurd, rather than as a tragic news report. The Eugene-ic flourishes done while you're so relaxed is a good measure of technical skill. I believe you practice your playing a good bit, sir.

thesillydave - Minnie the Moocher - You're a natural for this style of singing. Can you slip-slide and dance like Cab Calloway too? Good use of the hat to cover your face sometimes and a bravura vocal performance.

Peewee - Candy Says - So that will be for a slow dance. Nice picking on the baritone, which is a good choice for the song. You have shown a wide range of playing styles this week. Other people do too, but your songs were close together and it's easy to see. It's an example of how the Seasonistas can challenge themselves.

Filipinouker - Frankie - OH, YAY, Filipinouker's back! It is always a pleasure to hear your songs. This one was nice because of the upbeat tune against the nostalgic lyric, but it's your general playing skill that I admire. The photo was an extra fillip. You don't seem to be suffering from the heat and humidity—it was a lovely performance. Now that you're home from your trip, I hope you'll have time to post every week.

strumsilly
06-28-2013, 05:33 AM
here's a cheery danceable tune NOT. I like it anyway, think it works well on a uke. at least it does have a name in the title .

http://youtu.be/liGT-B3cyNI

DWitt
06-28-2013, 05:59 AM
I wish I had more time with this week's theme! There are so many songs I'd like to do that fit the theme . . . but I'm leaving for a business trip tomorrow.

I did manage to record this, at least. One of my 18-month-old daughter's favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK5WSwFp28

GinnyT11
06-28-2013, 07:19 AM
strumsilly - Sweet picking in an aloha shirt as you sit in a chair by the window meditating on a traumatized woman.

I think we might have to open the annex to the Legion Hall for a separate Dark Name Game Dance. That's where you can dance to The Ballad of Jeffrey Daumer and Hangman Joe is Feeling Low. :)

DWitt - Jezebel - You have a great singing voice, and you presented this very well, with great feeling. The simple strumming was the right support for it. That little corner seems like your stage for public performances.

Seasonistas, don't miss out on this fun project:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82492-Want-to-be-in-our-SEASONISTAS-ANTHEM-video

DWitt
06-28-2013, 07:31 AM
DWitt - Jezebel - You have a great singing voice, and you presented this very well, with great feeling. The simple strumming was the right support for it. That little corner seems like your stage for public performances.

Thanks! Convenient that the simple strumming fits it rightly—I can't hardly do much else besides simple strumming . . .

And, hey, let us know about the Dark Name Game! I've got several 'name' songs that I'd love to do, but are about mass murder and cancer and so on.

decaturcomp
06-28-2013, 07:33 AM
As I recall, the "Ballad of Mac the Knife" is called the Moritat in the play.
I think that's a song cataloging the exploits of some infamous character or other.
A funny thing about it is the addition of Lotte Lenya to the list of women in the Moritat (Sukie Tawdry, Polly Peachum...) since she was the most famous singer of Brecht/Weil schuff.

decaturcomp
06-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Ginny, your comments on the videos this season are some of my favorites ever.

Thank you

GinnyT11
06-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Ginny, your comments on the videos this season are some of my favorites ever.
Thank you

Thanks very much, Alan. My writing, which I really enjoy, masks my deep insecurity about my uking.

bbbannister
06-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi All

House move completed and finally internet arrived today, coinciding with a Papaghost get together.

So here it is, kind of after the dance song really!

Alberta Alberta....

http://youtu.be/IKpOhsILfyA

Nice to be back

BB

max2173
06-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Missed a week or two, but here's our entry!

http://youtu.be/ZB7qvKFCCEc

We're working on something else but I'm struggling so we might not manage it.

greyghost
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
OK, I decided to have another go--for my entry #2, I've taken a stab at Jimi Hendrix. My pineapple really wanted to play "The Wind Cries Mary."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbeD6NDSzE4&feature=youtu.be

greyghost
06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
OK, I'm on a roll today, I guess. My summer teaching is over, and now it's uking time! Here's entry number 3: "Beth" by Kiss (I didn't go the full makeup route like Joko did in an earlier season, sadly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wLcUFAQoQ

UkeyDave
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Here is my fourth and final entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_vjQj60G2c

Tootler
06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I decided to do my full quota of entries. Another one with the Risa. I've been having fun with my effects pedal.

http://youtu.be/aeFmkNYY7cI

GinnyT11
06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
bbbannister - Alberta - How very cool, Bob, to have friends like that to play with! This was fun, with the combination of instruments. Glad to have you back...and there's time for you to do three more entries for Season 71.

max2173 - Laura - You guys play so well together that you should start a performing duo called MattMax in the Thunderdome. This is not a song I know, but I'm glad it brought you to the dance party. Submit more songs—I like your Seasons entries.

greyghost - The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi, we hardly knew ye, and it's good to have you here in the Seasons, thanks to Luis. Nice feeling you brought to it. I was reading the lyrics and for the first time realized that each verse could be considered to be referring to a different era of life. Did everyone else already know that?
(When we lived in Seattle, people wanted to commemorate Jimi, a local boy, with a sculpture after his death. They ended up with a plaque on a heated stone so everyone will know that Jimi was hot rock. It's in the landscaped grounds of the zoo.)

greyghost - Beth - A little Kiss is nice. Beth is sad, though, and it doesn't seem like life will get better for her. She should say, "I'll tell you what you can do, fella, you can get your rear end out of there this minute and get home!" A touching rendition.

UkeyDave - Angie - Oooh, I love me some Stones! No woman comes close to you, Angie, but...bye. It's not you, it's me.
Nice job on this, Dave (good vocals), but I wish you'd turned off the tennis and Psy around the world on TV.

Tootler - Lucille - That rockin' Risa opens up a whole new room full of songs for you, Geoff. You can be a different person with this kind of music. I thought the Johnny B. Goode was better because you sang out a little more, but I liked this Little Richard song a lot too.

UkeyDave
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
UkeyDave - Angie - Oooh, I love me some Stones! No woman comes close to you, Angie, but...bye. It's not you, it's me.
Nice job on this, Dave (good vocals), but I wish you'd turned off the tennis and Psy around the world on TV.

Thank you Ginny. I hope your TV phobia doesn't spoil too many of my future performances. Thanks for the tip but I shall probably cheekily move the camera NEARER to the TV for you next time. ;-)

06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
"Ginny's Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUijn7ypM8

ginny - did you know there's a song called "ginny's song" ???

i didn't!

but i do now!

apparently it's from the harry potter musical, "a very potter musical"

it's all news to me. but the song is only about a minute long, and has just 3 chords, so it was like it was made for me!

and... of course... for you! :D

GinnyT11
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, yippee doodle day, bird's eye! I had no idea I had a song! Thank you SO much for unearthing it. Such captivating lyrics...I'm cuter than a guinea pig...well, well. So what will we find in Winnipeg?

I'm glad you have joined in again and we can look down from our birdy vantage point at your uke and your Spiderman pants. Oh sing again, please. There are lots of short, 3-chord songs, and we want more of you.

Mille fois merci!

Booli
06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Here is my second entry for Season 71. Frère Jacques (Brother John) in 3 parts.

http://youtu.be/taakuFeucN8

and direct link here: http://youtu.be/taakuFeucN8

This song was inspired by a tutorial from Ukulele Mike, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1ldEF6Oos

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A8re_Jacques for info about the song.

TCK
06-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Another one- not sure I will make four, or even have time to comment on the awesome here as I went and found summer employment (stupid), but yeah-
I made you all a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uixWpT-v0&feature=youtu.be
Thanks for a great week Ginny!

Hippie Dribble
06-28-2013, 08:03 PM
my #4 entry. A jazz/jug band standard. Thanks for an inspiring week Ginny. Now to listen to the playlist... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLUkDJYbitE&feature=youtu.be

librainian
06-28-2013, 09:54 PM
My Entry #3. William Henry Paddle by Chuck Brodsky

http://youtu.be/i7W9s_C3FEs

erivel
06-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Here's another Beatles cover...made late at night...enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAC_kEQgBrA&feature=share&list=UUWnK-yNM96lCeQn0VwwiDjg

pabrizzer
06-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Here's another Beatles cover...made late at night...enjoy! :)

Says it's private Eric.

erivel
06-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Says it's private Eric.

Just fixed it, thanks mate!

wee_ginga_yin
06-29-2013, 12:56 AM
When I first heard this song the long extended ending of it gave me the shivers. It brought back so many crazy memories of dancing in sets at ceilidhs. Had to try a bit of multi tracking to attempt that breathless orgasmic final chorus. Best two chord song ever (D A)

Please listen to the original if you want your sock blown off your feet by the frenetic ending.

Oh Jean-The Proclaimers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srPkl2PzJ4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDu2JuzThAI

mikef
06-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Here's my entry for Season 71 of the Ukulele... "Name Game". This is an original song called "His Name Is John" about a rather mentally disturbed office worker... I know that doesn't quite fit with the "keep it jolly" theme... but at least it's upbeat in tempo :D

http://youtu.be/b4JSOXvw3PA

My apologies for the lack of activity these last couple of weeks, work things have been very very busy. I'm hoping to do some catching up on Monday and see what you've all been up to and indeed what I've been missing :drool:

TheUkeBloke
06-29-2013, 02:34 AM
My entry for Season 71 - Party at Ginny's

Hey Ginny, hope you like this song I have just written for your Name Game Dance Party. Hope you get a good turn-out....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzxCG_y9l0
Party at Ginny's:
Ginny’s having a party for season seventy one

Sittin’ here quiet, doing much nothing
Thinking about what might come my way
On my favorite website, a brand new season
Came the good news to stir up my day

We're all invited to a party at Ginny's
Grab your beer an’ spirits and head over now
She's putting on nibble’s, a big double spit roast
a grand smorgasbord, and deserts to go wow

She's opened her house to the happy gay pleasures
of fun and good music from dusk until dawn
then on thru the day we will mingle and party
till we fall asleep all over the lawn

All you good muso’s of the un-derground forum
All you good people of the season-ista clan
Bring your great songs, and with uke, harp and banjo
Lets raise a ruckus, play as loud as you can

Ginny’s so worried about the neighbours approving
Of the music and dancing, and moving and grooving
Lets call them over for some good food and fun
Even Flotsum the cat, and Labrador Top Gun

If you live local, drop in and be vocal
Bring you a plate, and do not be late
So you live overseas, and can’t pay your fare
Pull up your ipad, sit back in your chair
Your video-linked to our big-screen in the yard
Having a good time is just not that hard

Yes, a party on the forum for season seventy one

Ukeval
06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
:cheers: Well done !!!

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 05:05 AM
My entry for Season 71 - Party at Ginny's

Hey Ginny, hope you like this song I have just written for your Name Game Dance Party. Hope you get a good turn-out....!
Party at Ginny's:
Ginny’s having a party for season seventy one...

Holy party detritus, David! You are MY HERO! :) :D :D You are a marvel!
This song is fantastic gift, and I thank you, thank you, thank you! My husband and I laughed and laughed watching it.

That would a memorable party, with Seasonistas strewn over the lawn after a night of feasting and ukulele debauchery. ;)

Pinky friends forever, David!

strumsilly
06-29-2013, 05:31 AM
recorded this one in high def, and there seems to be some youtube synching issue, oh well I don't feel like redoing. think of it as bad comedy.

http://youtu.be/hRQbNABNXCg

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 05:36 AM
booli - Frère Jacques - Booli, you're an inspiration to other beginners! You've taken your basic uke knowledge, sought out tutorials, and played a simple song very well. Bravo! Wanting to learn and wanting to try are the engines that drive improvement, and you've engaged both of them. You go, guy!

TCK - Valencia - You're right; it's not cheery, but it's a powerful love song and I was lofted by your strumming and the commitment in your voice. A worthy entry into the TCK songbook.

Eugene Ukulele - Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home - Classic Eugene! You could power a radio for a few hours with the energy you throw off. Fine version of a wonderful favorite.

Lilbrainian - William Henry Paddle - Absolutely top notch, sir! Super playing and singing. I've never heard a Canadian story song before. I loved the angry mother who could probably take the smile off anyone's face. An excellent entry. I like that you're playing quite different songs for the Season.

erivel - Julia - Great vocals on this with nice restrained playing. It's a meditative song of love, rather than a love song sung to someone in person.

wee_ginga_yin - Oh Jean -An unusual song with imaginative additional tracks. The sepia coloring made it seem like an old memory, which it probably was for the songwriter. You were having a good bit of fun with it.

MikeF - His Name is John - Nicely done, Mike. I hope we'll see your videos more often, and I hope you do some more original songs. You sing beautifully and play with great ease, but I confess I can't take my eyes off the view from your home.

TheUkeBloke - Party at Ginny's - I loved, loved, loved this song, and I am very happy that you wrote it for me! It's very funny to imagine this happening. Thank you many many times, David.

elmann
06-29-2013, 06:19 AM
As in life, I thought about Ida and Luise, but fall in love with Dinah :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySs7oarzCM4
Indoor on new Outdoor Uke

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Recording this one was a bear. I did enough takes for the sun to set while I was recording. The beautiful song is "Uncle John's Band"; it's by the Grateful Dead, but I learned it when I was fourteen as a campfire song.

http://youtu.be/_-36xQhI0gU

strumsilly
06-29-2013, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=eugene ukulele;1311593]my #4 entry. A jazz/jug band standard. Thanks for an inspiring week Ginny. Now to listen to the playlist... :)

and commercial free. I'd pay for this. how much do I owe you. very entertaining. you even dress up, very professional. do you take paypal?:worship:

CTurner
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Yes, Ginny really enjoys the fun and fast music. But she also likes the dreamy stuff.

This is my slow dance contribution to the 71st Season. Honeysuckle Rose, a Lyle Ritz arrangement but with a Sarah Vaughan pace. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lEjtgS6N8

decaturcomp
06-29-2013, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-eeB5sPsM

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
strumsilly - Georgie Girl - Andy, that was a lovely rendition, and extra nice because you recorded outside with trees festooned with Spanish moss. Good energy in the singing and strumming. (And a good contrast to Sad Lisa, which is playing in the annex at the Dark Dance Party. :) )

elmann - Dinah - You really have command of this old-fashioned style of music. It was lilting and sweet-natured. (What were Dinah's Dixie eyes blazing about? Does she have a scary side?) It was good of you to play this with your Outdoor Uke so that many others can hear it. I hope you'll sing another song for us, in German this time.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters - Uncle John's Band - Excellent, Ralf! A very, very nice performance with beautiful singing. It's almost a Buddhist mindfulness song, with reminders to be here now and not to focus on money. My favorite line is "what I want to know is, are you kind?"

CTurner - Honeysuckle Rose - Ah, my dear MrT plays a tune he has been playing for me for a while.

decaturcomp - Galileo - That is a very cool song...an existential song with pep. There are very few tunes around about reincarnation, so I'm glad you did this one written by your neighbors. I especially liked the break. And I'm going to place a metaphysical interpretation on the fan above your head: it's there to show we're in an sun-centric solar system, right?

Anyone for Abraham, Martin and John? Alice's Restaurant? Ernest Hemingway?

And are you all signed up with the Seasonistas Group? http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=248

ombracorta
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM
http://youtu.be/aYQXlVuKQbs

Here's my second very fast entry! I thought it would be nice to play also an italian song.
This is "Cara Valentina" beautiful and very difficult song from Max Gazzé. This was a very fast take with some special backing vocals from my second son Domenico who's clapping hands and laughing. :D

southside mike
06-29-2013, 09:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizNo1fXow0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtgeI7LSlrW2CwAt5cLMmfw
This is my 3rd.

Shady Wilbury
06-29-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm very late to the party, and this is only one of the two I wanted to do...unfortunately I probably won't get around to the other one. As a nod to Bob Dylan, I've chosen to tackle 'Absolutely Sweet Marie'. My version borrows heavily from George Harrison's version at Bobfest 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fafDbZsyw8o&feature=youtu.be

southside mike
06-29-2013, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4_RYnW9Xik
4th. and final for this week.

ukuleledaddy
06-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I recorded two songs way back on Monday and was hoping to redo them but there's no time. So here's one of them, Gracie by Ben Folds. Every time I sing this to my girls I insert their names but I never get all the way through it, so I played it straight here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFSVJkslSk

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 10:26 AM
ombracorta - Cara Valentina - That will get people up and dancing, for sure, Saverio. That's definitely a young man's song, taking as much energy as it does. I liked the key changes, and I'm really impressed with your concentration. Little Mimi must hear dad playing often and he wants to get in on the act.

Southside Mike - Danny's Song - A 70s favorite done handily, Mike. I'm glad decaturcomp brought you along to the Seasons—you're doing some fine playing for us, here and on other songs. I love the uke t-shirt.

Shady Wilbury - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Nice, easy tempo on this, Shady, and clean chord changes. I'm not familiar with this Dylan song, but the lyrics seem to be part fever dream, swirling around the key premise of disappointment.

Southside Mike - Mary Jane's Last Dance - This was a great choice for the week and for your voice. I like Tom Petty's songs, and you did a fine cover of this.

ukuleledaddy - Gracie - Sean, that was wonderful! It's a hectic life being a stay-at-home dad, but your daughters are so lucky to have a dad like you, who will sing this song to them with their own names. Your father-love washes through this whole song. You shine in this.

ukuleledaddy
06-29-2013, 11:03 AM
ukuleledaddy - Gracie - Sean, that was wonderful! It's a hectic life being a stay-at-home dad, but your daughters are so lucky to have a dad like you, who will sing this song to them with their own names. Your father love washes through this whole song. You shine in this.
Thanks Ginny. My girls are amazing and can be quite a handful. I do my very best for them.

Here's my second and final song, Ziggy. Thanks for hosting a great week Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJDtcgSjQL4

myrnaukelele
06-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Jenny Jenkins.

http://youtu.be/TpXINSSZFqI

TheUkeBloke
06-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Holy party detritus, David! You are MY HERO! :) :D :D You are a marvel!
This song is fantastic gift, and I thank you, thank you, thank you! My husband and I laughed and laughed watching it.

That would a memorable party, with Seasonistas strewn over the lawn after a night of feasting and ukulele debauchery. ;)

Pinky friends forever, David!

TheUkeBloke - Party at Ginny's - I loved, loved, loved this song, and I am very happy that you wrote it for me! It's very funny to imagine this happening. Thank you many many times, David.

Thanks very much Ginny, I'm so happy you enjoyed my little song for your grand dance party this week. Well, that was really worth the effort of untangling my brain flashes into something playable...!

~dave~~wave~
06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
My favorite version of this tune is by Los Lobos.
They played in Des Moines last night, but we couldn't get there.

Bertha ~ (Hunter / Garcia)

http://youtu.be/XTkRYhLVXLw

vct33
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm proud to say I that learned and performed the song I set out to do when the theme was revealed. Love this song so much. I hope you like it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TltQ_r2JbY

Dougf
06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Of course with no disrespect to my seasonista, Bernie, "My Attorney, Bernie." :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFv-dzobXZY

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 05:12 PM
ukuleledaddy - Ziggy Stardust - The secret rocker inside ukuleledaddy comes out! I'm not a follower of Bowie, so others will have to comment on the cover, but I liked very much how you changed the dynamic at different points, and how you powered through some of those strums. And you dropped in a ukulele at the end—ha ha!

myrnaukulele - Jenny Jenkins - This is a delightful tune to play in a bright top in your blooming peony bed. (Good you didn't wear orange.) You have great performing ease, which comes no doubt from playing on stage with your group. I loved the strum in this and I kept watching it. You do '30s ballads very well, but this is a strong style for you too.

Dave~~Wave - Bertha - I knew we weren't through with DaveWave's rock 'n roll for this week. What a rocker you are! I love how you are so very taken by the spirit of the song, jumpin' and swayin'. It is most definitely a jivin' dance tune. Yet it's not all like that...the slower sections are a great contrast. Well done, Flyer!

vct33 - Marie's the Name - Oh, yes! ELVIS! That was tee-rrific! I've got a vague intuition that you're a serious Elvis fan;), and in this you did justice to a tune of the King. Great rhythm and vocals on this, but the whole performance adds up to more than the sum of its parts. Really nice!

DoufF - My Attorney, Bernie - Ha, Doug—that's a clever one! (You've been into some new songbooks this week.:)) What a great attorney Bernie is, but I bet he could use another dozen clients just like you. It was nice to see another room in your house.

Have you checked that your song is on the playlist? Is your seatbelt fastened?

GinnyT11
06-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey, cats and kittens, I must pause the Season and visit my mother out of state.
All is okay, but it's important that I get there Sunday, which was not in my thinking when I took on the substitute hosting for Week 71.

When I'm there, I don't simultaneously have time and wifi, so I will temporarily suspend my week's commenting. I'll be home on Thursday, July 4, when I will complete comments on posts made from now till Season's end (Sun. midnight in Hawaii). Very soon after that, I'll announce the winners. I apologize for the interruption.

Please keep posting on Sunday! I'm hoping that certain regulars who haven't appeared will contribute.

TCK
06-29-2013, 06:44 PM
So I guess you will arrive home and see this...
OK. I have always loved this song.
ALWAYS
It was the first that popped into my head when I saw the criteria- and I thought to myself "no Dave...too much".
When I found out that he was one of my 7th graders step-dad...well, he got a silly email and sent me signed CDs. He is kind of a folk hero (for me) here in the 'dale- the intro picture is from a show he played in our local movie theater when our town was 2500 strong.
It became clear we were not leaving this week until this was done- would have loved to see it done by someone with talent, but you will have to settle with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znYqEEO2Owc&feature=youtu.be
Great week Ginny!

Hochapeafarm
06-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey, all ~ so it's late tonight (and, that said, I hope it's not too late to post this for the week)...and well, I practiced this one all week long and couldn't get this song down...but, I figured, hey, we're all friends here, so here's my entry...a try at "Ginny" :-) (okay, really, it's "Jenny 867-5309!")...please pardon the horrible video, too...just did this spur of the moment while hanging out on the couch with my hubby.

THANKS TO OUR GINNY FOR A GREAT WEEK! Now I need to do lots of catch up on watching all of these wonderful entries!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9T_Q4i1hE

Hochapeafarm
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
TCK! After I just posted my entry, just saw you and Mel just posted it before me -- you know what they say about great minds! :-)

So I guess you will arrive home and see this...
OK. I have always loved this song.
ALWAYS
It was the first that popped into my head when I saw the criteria- and I thought to myself "no Dave...too much".
When I found out that he was one of my 7th graders step-dad...well, he got a silly email and sent me signed CDs. He is kind of a folk hero (for me) here in the 'dale- the intro picture is from a show he played in our local movie theater when our town was 2500 strong.
It became clear we were not leaving this week until this was done- would have loved to see it done by someone with talent, but you will have to settle with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znYqEEO2Owc&feature=youtu.be
Great week Ginny!

Joko
06-30-2013, 01:46 AM
This wouldn't be video #100 would it?

Escaped Bangkok this weekend and headed north to the old capital, Ayutthaya. Being a bit of an old ruin myself, I really enjoy looking at old ruins. Plenty of those in A-town's Old Town. It is also a city on an 'island' in that it is completely surrounded by rivers. Here on the banks of the biggest, I sing CCR's Proud Mary for Season 71 of the Ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoD3vAjv2og

GinnyT11
06-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Thanks, Dave & Melissa, Hochapeafarm and Joko. I'm off to the airport and will watch these when I can give them my full attention. That's what they deserve.
Joko, yours is post 101.

Please keep posting today, and I'll comment on Thursday. Thank you!

bonesigh
06-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Yes, more from bird's eye please (:

Well, yippee doodle day, bird's eye! I had no idea I had a song! Thank you SO much for unearthing it. Such captivating lyrics...I'm cuter than a guinea pig...well, well. So what will we find in Winnipeg?

I'm glad you have joined in again and we can look down from our birdy vantage point at your uke and your Spiderman pants. Oh sing again, please. There are lots of short, 3-chord songs, and we want more of you.

Mille fois merci!

CTurner
06-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Here's my second entry for the season. Houdini would be great guy to have at a party!

http://youtu.be/oyPK1vwdLC8

decaturcomp
06-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Alan's thoughts on recent posts:
I'm not anywhere near as cool as Ginny but I thought I'd share some love for you kids:

Joko - Proud Mary (rollin' on the Chao Phraya)
Location shoot! Well done brother. And you were your own background singers!!

Hochapeafarm - 867-5309 Jenny (Ginny)
Neither low light conditions nor dark of night can stay this chanteuse from her beautiful performance. You and the Cloverdale Couple are so clever to think of this (and Eric considered it, too so big ups to him as well). Your voice always makes my ears happy.

TCK (with the beautiful Melissa as backup singers, so actually The Cloverdale Couple) -867-5309 Jenny (Ginny)
You kids always seem to be having so much fun that I can't help having fun watching your duets. I love hearing you play and sing together. Enthusiasm + Talent = beautiful fun!

frisbee fred
06-30-2013, 08:37 AM
THANKS TO OUR GINNY FOR A GREAT WEEK! Now I need to do lots of catch up on watching all of these wonderful entries!!!

Way to go Chelle!

austin1
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
I was pretty excited to make a video this week, but once again, this paper is eating me alive. And I haven't even started writing it.

GaryC1968
06-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I was pretty excited to make a video this week, but once again, this paper is eating me alive. And I haven't even started writing it.

Where are your priorities, Tina??? ;)

caukulele
06-30-2013, 09:51 AM
This has been a super week..so many great videos and creativity... Here (in California) we are in the middle of a heat wave...and so I was trying to wait for a break in the weather to do something, but realized it is not going to happen for a few days...So it's 85 degrees inside... and I'm singing my song..... This is "Annie's Song"...I always loved this John Denver song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHQxiEsdMwk

elmann
06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Ginny's kind words have led to this song about Luise, the girl, Paul is admiring.
Parallel translation in the remarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ei4y__5Ao

mattydee
06-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I had grand designs to use the looper on this one, but just couldn't make it happen with the limited rehearsal that I had this week. So, I decided to strip it way back. It could still use some work, but it is a super fun song to sing, so I'm glad to add it to my repertoire! Thanks, Ginny.

This was the first idea I had when the theme was announced... I've been trying to keep up, but I think no one else has tried it.

http://youtu.be/Vk7ud8fbJqU

austin1
06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Where are your priorities, Tina??? ;)

in all the wrong places :D

GinnyT11
06-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Thank you Craig, Denise, elmann and Mattydee! I'll write comments on Thursday when I'm home.
There are 12 more hours till it's midnight in Hawaii...plenty of time to post!

alemarco
06-30-2013, 12:24 PM
After several weeks of grad school forcing my priorities into all the wrong places too, here's a song for the end of the evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxmlNfcGUQ8&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Okay entry no.3 (: A modern song.
"Viktoria" by Maria Mena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmEdgWY8d8&feature=youtu.be

ksiegel
06-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Finally got one done!

Jean, written by Rod McKuen, from the 1969 film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, starring Maggie Smith.

http://youtu.be/udDdHnCb69s

librainian
06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
My fourth and final entry. A charming tune from the early 1900's. hope you like it if you haven't heard it before.

Here's a link to the original sheet music OBrien Is Tryin (http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/inharmony/detail.do?action=detail&fullItemID=/lilly/devincent/LL-SDV-223042)

http://youtu.be/cQtu0DAq5lk

bonesigh
06-30-2013, 02:24 PM
4th entry. Just had to do this one for this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJA6q0LGsRE&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
06-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's entry #3- Chuck's Blues. This was written by Rob Miller of the Sweet Sunny South band.
I send it out to any farmers out there.

http://youtu.be/XkPayg0VPq8

J-Peg
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Eugene already hit this one out of the park, and my computer keeps screwing up the video and throwing it out of sync, but I'm putting this out there anyway. I mean, I keep telling other people that multiple versions of the same song are a good thing, so I should practice what I preach.
Also, this is the first song I learned on the uke that I didn't already know on guitar, and I've been waiting for a reason to record it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2hNsoNywo&feature=youtu.be

06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
This is "Annie's Song"...
oh lordy

that song always makes me wanna cry!

and i have to say your beautiful version is no exception

i dunno if it's the chords or the words or the whole thing but it just gets me deep in the emotions!

while i'm posting, i'd just like to thank ginny and indeed EVERYONE here who has been very welcoming and encouraging of a newbie uke vid poster - i was reading somewhere else on the forum that this is the place where LOTS of people feel encouraged to post their first uke vids, and share what they're doing with a wider audience - and i can see why, people are very friendly here and everything is lots of fun

hope everything goes ok with your trip, ginny

GinnyT11
06-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks alemarco (glad to see you again!), bone sigh (x2), Kurt, Denise, Librainian, Myrna and J-peg! I'll post thoughtful comments on each video on Thursday.

This is an amazing assemblage of songs!

UncleMoon
06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Ok, 11th hour here.
I've been struggling to a) pick a song and b) settle on a song (if that makes sense).

I feel like I looked at and learned/tried to learn/played a hundred songs. This is what ya get.

Fred by Rodney Carrington.

http://youtu.be/bSvvJOof0Wk

Raygf
06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Time to spare. Here's Sweet Sue. Thanks for hosting Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSNivM_00M

23skidoo
06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I usually don't like to double up on a song that someone else has already posted for the week - and Janet did a great job with this one - but I've been working on this tune with the little guy for a few days and decided to go ahead and record it. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3nhYpIDQg

wolfchs
06-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I usually don't like to double up on a song that someone else has already posted for the week - and Janet did a great job with this one - but I've been working on this tune with the little guy for a few days and decided to go ahead and record it. Enjoy!

He's so adorable!! I really envy you guys with kids that you get to do fun stuff like this.

wolfchs
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I can't remember the last time I was able to enter a season's week... i've been meaning to get back for a while now, but each time i try, i just run out of time and i'm so out of practice, so here's a last minute entry since i haven't seen anyone do this song i figured i would :)

http://youtu.be/RffTPkWh2gs
i've seen about a third of the entries and man, just like always, you guys are awesome!

Dan Uke
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
I can't remember the last time I was able to enter a season's week... i've been meaning to get back for a while now, but each time i try, i just run out of time and i'm so out of practice, so here's a last minute entry since i haven't seen anyone do this song i figured i would :)

http://youtu.be/RffTPkWh2gs
i've seen about a third of the entries and man, just like always, you guys are awesome!

Mina, good to see you back and glad you are still singing pop songs!!

lakesideglenn
06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I really wanted to do "Judy in Disguise" because it really would have fit the theme, but I had a crazy week and just couldn't get it together in time.
So here's me and my brother 'Sweetwater' Scott doing "Oh Mary Don't You Weep No More"... first take, screw ups and all!
I still have to catch up watching but a lot of great entries this week...Thanks for being the Hostess with the Mostest, Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbtLt_qiLc

ukuLily Mars
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch most of the videos but I'm heading home tomorrow and plan to catch up, on this Season, last Season, and the Season just started! I'm pretty sure no one has done this one this week. It's getting late and I'm in yet another hotel room, so I had to let it go at two takes. I hope you enjoy it anyway! Here's a pop song... from 1925: "Don't Bring Lulu." And this is me, very nearly live, from New York!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnBxcXg--Co

Ginny, thanks for hosting, especially on short notice!

myrnaukelele
06-30-2013, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=GinnyT11;1312947
This is an amazing assemblage of songs![/QUOTE]

Ginny - this was an inspired theme! There are so so many great songs with names in the title. The playlist this week is terrific. Seasonistas you continue to amaze me with your talent and musical knowledge. I may not always comment on your vids but I watch as many as I can and just want to say - Seasonistas rule! Anyway, thanks for hosting this week Ginny- it was a party for sure! :cool:

chrimess
07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Ginny has kindly given me a little extension-came back from Germany late saturday and the kids have been sleeping at the weirdest hours...
My dates are mister jones and my new Brueko:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6i9gLE4IE&sns=em

GinnyT11
07-01-2013, 05:25 AM
WOW! What a party! We danced outside of our shoes---someone left a pair right over there---but we've come to the end.

Thanks UncleMoon, Ray, Skidoo and son, Mina, Glenn, Lily and Chrimess! Comments for all of Sunday's videos will come on Thursday, when I'm home, and I can hardly wait to get to it! It's been very exciting this week, and I feel privileged to have had you all at this party.

Do head over to Myrna's Season 72 now and enjoy your visit to Canada!

xxx Ginny

frisbee fred
07-01-2013, 05:48 AM
WOW! What a party! We danced outside of our shoes---someone left a pair right over there---but we've come to the end.

Thanks UncleMoon, Ray, Skidoo and son, Mina, Glenn, Lily and Chrimess! Comments for all of Sunday's videos will come on Thursday, when I'm home, and I can hardly wait to get to it! It's been very exciting this week, and I feel privileged to have had you all at this party.

Do head over to Myrna's Season 72 now and enjoy your visit to Canada!

xxx Ginny
You throw a great party, Ginny. But you are getting a little low on Scotch......

CTurner
07-01-2013, 06:33 AM
After Ginny returns and gives her final comments, I will help her take down the streamers, trash the paper plates and silver spoons, and give the place a good vacuum. I had a great time, Ginny. :love:

Pueo
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow great entries this week!
I had a song all picked out and I was practicing and everything but we have four houseguests arriving on Wednesday and I had a LOT of cleaning and stuff to do around the house. I am so bummed out I did not get to make a video! Next time!

decaturcomp
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
And, you were a model host, Sir. I doff my cap to you.

After Ginny returns and gives her final comments, I will help her take down the streamers, trash the paper plates and silver spoons, and give the place a good vacuum. I had a great time, Ginny. :love:

redpaul1
07-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Here is my fourth and final entry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_vjQj60G2c

For what it's worth, I think this is the best thing I've ever heard you do.

redpaul1
07-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Great list of ideas, Paul. This one above wouldn't count, though, as it's not a person.
There's also Jubilation T. Cornpone, from the musical Li'l Abner.

Ah! In that case, neither is Cracklin' Rosie :)

redpaul1
07-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Unless you count that horrible Peter Schilling ripoff in the 80's - Major Tom (Coming Home)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IVp3uqYZZQ

And you know what? Let's not count that, shall we?

Hahaha! (Sorry for belated comments - I've been away at FIUL [a.k.a. UWC - Europe] in the Vosges mountains in France. 11 hours by m/cycle from London. Got back home late last night - knackered!)

redpaul1
07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
my #4 entry. A jazz/jug band standard. Thanks for an inspiring week Ginny. Now to listen to the playlist... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLUkDJYbitE&feature=youtu.be

Did you know that Bill Bailey was a real person? He was drinking buddies with Hughie Cannon, the composer. The song was written in about 1898/9, but it wasn't till it was sold to a NY publisher in 1902 that it gained widespread publicity.
Bill Bailey's wife outlived him by many years - she hated the song!

Mrs Bill Bailey, homebody, still moans about great ragtime that was cruel rag (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19740115&id=fh8qAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3igEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5229,2714148)

Peek Through Time: More than a century after it was written in Jackson, "Bill Bailey, won't you please come home" still a musical gem (http://www.mlive.com/living/jackson/index.ssf/2011/03/peek_through_time_more_than_a.html)

GinnyT11
07-04-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm back from Ohio and I MISSED YOU GUYS LIKE CRAZY! There is nothing like the Seasons' zip and fizz in my mother's retirement home.

Thank you for your patience for the interrupted week, and make sure you have posted or at least prepared a song for Myrna's Canada week before you dawdle here!

TCK - [Ginny] 867-5309 - Wow! The Cloverdale Couple climbed into the Wayback Machine and landed in the 1980s. You guys had too much fun doing this, I think, because it cracked you up at the end. Thank you for this special revision of an old favorite. It's always good to see you play together.

Hochapeafarm - Jenny 867-5309 - I think a wormhole in the universe turned inside out to have the same song posted in adjacent posts. You usually play standing up, but you also play very nicely when you're strewn on the couch. Good job.
I think your videographer once worked with Eric Rohmer—this video could also be called "Chelle's Knee." :~>

Joko - Proud Mary - Your singing travelogues are great fun, Joko. It's interesting to see where you are, and you bring your trademark verve to the songs. I especially liked how you added the back-up singers in this one. Who needs studio singers?

CTurner - Houdini - This is a delightful surprise to me, MrT, as I hadn't heard of it or heard it sung in this house before. It made me laugh. I like the chords way up the neck.

caukulele - Annie's Song - Beautiful ballad singing, Denise. A nice, steady pick on it throughout too. Your voice is a wonderful counterpoint to the tenors you play. You've found your proper instruments.

GinnyT11
07-04-2013, 03:31 PM
elmann - Oh, Luise - Elmann, this is terrific! A perfect comic stage song, and you delivered it beautifully. The playing was very relaxed so you could play the double entendres with pretend innocence. An excellent all-around performance!

mattydee - You Can Call Me Al - You must know this song very well, because the extended lyrics all came out smoothly and with familiarity. Great strum on this, with variations; the rhythm ring really helps. I always like whistling interludes.

alemarco - Sweet Baby James - Oh, what a great song for this week. James Taylor is from our town. Your singing is sweet and lovely, which I think is ideal for ballads like this. I especially liked the choruses. Nice, easy playing and a smile at the end. Great!

bonesigh - Viktoria - Nice duet, with a pretty extra track. What a pleasure to play with your daughter. I couldn't figure out what it meant, so I went to lyrics meanings, where someone had written: "In an interview she said that this song was her 'thank you' to Cause and Effect. She said C&E helped her move and let go of that anger, and she explains how music saved her. She said, "this is like my long song to music." She changed her name to when her grandmother Viktoria died.

ksiegel - Jean - Are you hiding in a corner of a store there? You clearly have recovered from your hand injury, as you are fretting as well as ever. This would be a coffeehouse favorite if the Starbucks you manage would allow a little miked uke over in a corner. :) Nice blend of soft vocal and gentle picking.

librainian - O'Brien is Trying to Learn to Talk Hawaiian - Very funny, Andrew. Those vintage songs can be quite comically clever. This brings to mind the Laurel and Hardy short called "Sons of the Desert," in which they travel to a lodge meeting in Hawaii without telling their wives (oh, sure) and come home playing ukes.