Season 71 - NAME GAME Dance Party!!

GinnyT11

Reaction score
Come on, all you cats and kittens—get your dancing shoes on!
We're rocking a summer dance party!
You'll need a date, so bring to Season 71
SONGS WITH A PERSON'S NAME IN THE TITLE

Songs like these...
Levon
Delilah
Hey Jude
Maybelline
Eli's Coming
Mrs Robinson
Mack the Knife
Crackling Rosie
Quinn the Eskimo
Along Comes Mary
Whatever Lola Wants
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Peggy Sue Got Married
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
They Call the Wind Mariah
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
~Original songs welcome! Non-English songs with names welcome!~

It's a summer party, so let's try for mostly upbeat, happy songs. Please save neurosis, heartbreak and death for another week.

Guidelines:
1. Uke is the central instrument in one take. Other instruments, multiple singers and multitracks are welcome.
You cleverboots types might want to try a medley of two harmonious name songs (short ones, please).

2. Say somewhere in the video it's for the 71st Season of the Ukulele.

3. No videos posted till Sunday, June 23, Chicago time! That's about 6 am Sunday GMT.
Season ends at Sunday midnight, June 30, Hawaii time.

4. No bonuses; all entries recorded for this week count.(Good idea, krabbers!) LIMIT of 4 SONGS per person!

5. Please urge shy newbies to enter and—for extra karma—keep encouraging them over subsequent weeks.

Judging:
I've been asked to step in for another host, so I don't have prizes worked out yet. My 3 personal and subjective favorite entries will win a modest prize yet to be determined.
(Note: I have a particular fondness for songs from 1960-1980.)

DANCE CARD PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Additional notes:

Now, don't get so excited about the new week that you miss posting in krabbers' 70th season.
He's aiming for 100 videos, and I know the Seasonistas can do it! Do it for krabbers!

Second, I hope our volunteer coordinator ukuloonie will stop in with a status report of the massive flooding in Calgary, where he lives. Hope you've still got internet, Drew.

Third, for many weeks I've been sending PMs to first-time submitters to the Seasons, inviting them to join the Seasonistas group and get the cool logo on their profile page.
Seasons icon.jpg

But I'm falling behind and missing some people. If you've posted at least one video in the Seasons, go here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=248
In the upper-right corner, the drop-down menu Group Tools has an option Join. I hope you will.

Last edited:
Where we live in Calgary just South of the Glenmore Reservior were are fine, no flooding at all.
but downtown is underwater. Where many of the people go to work, so Bus and Transit services are either not working or reduced.
My concern was really the Zoo, it is right in the affected area but they were able to move all the animals out of the enclosures and take them to a safe area.
There are a lot of people still stranded and not able to get into their homes still and there are difficult times ahead for many.
There is a lot of clean up to be done.
The Saddledome for you hockey Fans is underwater.
The annual Stampede ['Stampede is the biggest party for Calgary. which host s Fun rides all the cowboy riding and races, large animal shows etc ]
will hopefully be still up and running
I guess they want to get in there as fast as they can to resolve that

High River South of us is Having a lot of trouble with severe flooding.
People are being cared for, Services should resume soon I guess by the end of the week,
a lot of people have been affected and still will be affected as the high surge of Water
continues Eastwards to out lying towns like Drumheller ( Dinosaur Country) Medicine Hat and many other smaller communities.
So it is still not over for others.
So my prayers and hope go to all those affected.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're OK, Drew. Let's hope the floods recede soon and people can get back in their homes to start clearing up the mess. We've got a bit used to seeing pictures on the TV here of flooding and the mess it leaves behind as it seems to be more common everywhere.

Good season. I think I'll be in for the 2nd week in a row. I just need to learn the song that popped into my head. I love the song and it's from 1961 so it just squeeks into your favorite era. ;)

Where we live in Calgary just South of the Glenmore Reservior were are fine, no flooding at all.
but downtown is underwater. Where many of the people go to work, so Bus and YTransit services are either not working or reduced.
My concern was really the Zoo, it is right in the affected area but they were able to move all the animals out of the enclosures and take them to a safe area.
There are a lot of people still stranded and not able to get into their homes still and there are difficult times ahead for many.
When there is a lot of clean up to be done.
The Saddledome for you hockey Fans is under a lot of water.
Stampede will hopefully be on I guess they want to get in there as fast as they can to resolve that
Stampede is the biggest party for Calgary.

High River South of us is Having a lot of trouble with severe flooding.
People are being cared for, Services should resume soon I guess by the end of the week,
a lot of people have been affected and still will be affected as the high surge of Water that
Will continue Eastwards to out lying towns like Drumheller ( Dinosaur Country) Medicine Hat and many other smaller communities.
So it is still not over for others.
So my prayers and hope go to all those affected.

The TV and radio in Finland have been full of news about the SuperMoon, and last night
I went out and filmed it just one hour after moonrise, when it is supposed to be at its
biggest and best. There is a train of thought that the super moon is a trigger for natural
disasters and freak weather conditions

Supermoon - Super full moon

The TV and radio in Finland have been full of news about the SuperMoon, and last night I went out and filmed it just one hour after moonrise, when it is supposed to be at its
biggest and best.
There is a train of thought that the super moon is a trigger for natural disasters and freak weather conditions

Oh drat! I thought you were going to say it's a trigger for the blossoming of musical genius in average players.

Oh drat! I thought you were going to say it's a trigger for the blossoming of musical genius in average players.

Well tonight the moon will still be about 99% full and it is famed for bringing about
huge changes in the personality, so who knows what might happen if one were
to play by the light of the silvery moon.

Does a full moon really trigger strange behavior?

Last edited:
Well tonight the moon will still be about 99% full and it is famed for bringing about
huge changes in the personality, so who knows what might happen if one were
to play by the light of the silvery moon.

Well I'm not sure about that but we've had thunderstorms all afternoon and they tend to affect my personality but not in a positive way.

Does a full moon really trigger strange behavior?

I got "server not found" on your link, btw. Server must be down.

Uncheers from grumpy git.

Uncheers from grumpy git.

Not really, just remembered I had been loading an entry for Krabbers' 70th season and thought I had mucked it up by moving off You Tube too early.

Fortunately it had uploaded OK so I have got my entry done for Season 70. Now for 71. I fairly quickly thought of about 5 traditional songs with people's names in the title. However, four of them were murder ballads and I thought Ginny might not be too pleased at a succession of songs about grizzly murders.

If you're curious look up Matty Groves (aka Lord Barnard and young Musgrave -two names in that one!), Maria Marten (aka the Red Barn), Lord Randal (on my You Tube channel) and Geordie (aka Georgie).

I do have some other ideas, though including at least one folk song that will fit nicely.

Ginny,
Excellent!
I've been anticipating this theme (and kind of keeping it up my sleeve for if I'm called on to host). Which isn't to say that I've prepared anything. However every song that I've considered so far is one of neurosis heartbreak and death.
Looking through the list of examples, I see a few others...

Levon = "while Levon slowly dies"
Delilah = Murder story
Eli's Coming = "you better hide"
Mack the Knife = Serial Killer
Bad Bad Leroy Brown = clearly a bad man
Maxwell's silver Hammer = More Mayhem
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance = The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

It's going to be hard to avoid the downside songs, at least for me. Please don't make me sing happy songs! :rolleyes:

Ginny,
Excellent! I've been anticipating this theme... However every song that I've considered so far is one of neurosis heartbreak and death. Looking through the list of examples, I see a few others...

Levon = "while Levon slowly dies" — I think that was to make a design in the list. Try Johnny B. Goode.
Delilah = Murder story" — But Tom Jones' hips are making the women in the audience scream, "Me, kill me!"
Eli's Coming = "you better hide" — Well, yes hide, but dance like crazy on the way!
Mack the Knife = Serial Killer — But it's classic, like Shakespeare! Works in German, too.
Bad Bad Leroy Brown = clearly a bad man — But he was hip, and likeable to a certain element. Danceable.
Maxwell's silver Hammer = More Mayhem — But cheerful mayhem! And Beatle-y.
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance = The Man who Shot Liberty Valance — But the song is about the man who "was the bravest of them all," so it's actually hero worship.

It's going to be hard to avoid the downside songs, at least for me. Please don't make me sing happy songs! :rolleyes:

Revised expectation: Songs with some death in them are okay, but no outright, prolonged misery, like extended depression or flesh-eating bacteria. I did say "mostly happy songs."

Last edited:
Okay: Songs with some death in them are okay, but no outright, prolonged misery, like extended depression or flesh-eating bacteria. I did say "mostly happy songs."

Thanks Ginny, I'll stay on the upbeat funny danceable side side of misery and mayhem!

Last edited:
Mark, is this the week you're going to jump into the Seasons? Hope so.

Finding a song I like (and can learn quickly) with a person's name in the title the least of my hurdles (Does Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday" count if I know someone named Monday? :) ), but every Sunday I tell myself I'd like this to be the week I jump in, so I remain hopeful.

Google Songs with names in the title, and I'm sure you'll find something that you're familiar with. Then search for that title + ukulele chords and voilà! — a song for the Seasons! You've got 8 days to do it. We want you here, Mark.

Full frontal of Bad Leroy Brown.
Thought I had learned this off by heart, but I didn't. Most of the words are in there but not in any particualr order.

Thanks for including this Rob, but I'd wanted new entries for this week. Traditionally we have a bonus list of second or third songs by a Seasonista for the theme, and sometimes apt songs that have been recorded earlier for other reasons. I wanted all fresh produce.

I've revised the original post to indicate I want only new songs for this week, as many as 4 per person.
Have you any danceable Finnish tunes with names in the titles? Maybe write something like I'll Knut Forget You, or Oh What a Night with Henrikka.

Last edited:

Great theme, Ginny. Unfortunately, the only time I have this week to take part is one hour this afternoon. So I did the best I could on this tough song I've been working on the past few months. This is sort of a work in progress, and I hope to do another video someday when I can play it more cleanly.

This is "Sylvia" by the Dutch '70s progressive rock band Focus. They had one hit in the U.S. ("Hocus Pocus") and one hit in the U.K. ("Sylvia"). Perhaps some of our British Seasonistas will remember the song.

Top Bottom