Advice for a newbie on an abstract idea.

zgarney

Reaction score
Let me start this off by saying that I only possess the most basic of woodworking skills. Now, what I hope to accomplish, is that I would like a device that would allow me to practice finger picking patterns in silence, as it can drive my wife insane to hear me trying to get finger picking down. I know about solid body ukuleles, but those still make too much noise. The other factor, is that I would like it to be very small, so as to be easily transported and usable in college classes. Now, they have something like this for the guitar, they are called pocket strings, and can be found here: https://www.pocketstrings.com/models
My thought was to get a ukulele fretboard, take the bridge and move it all the way up to against the bottom of the fretboard, and have that be all. I've been on the search for ukes that are beyond repair, but no one seems to know where to find any. I guess my question is this; In all your collective wisdom, is such a thing possible? If so, how would you recommend I go about doing it?

Also if this question would be better placed elsewhere, do tell me, and I shall move it. Thank you so very much in advance.

I just mute the strings and practice away during TV commercials, etc.

I can't see too much of a difference between what you're describing and the Risa Uke-Stick or even the Traveler Guitars' Uke, except that those are real instruments ("I'm a real boy!") that you can plug headphones into. The Uke-Stick will need an additional headphone amp, though.

But if you're insistent on an inaudible neck...thing, go down to Toys-R-Us, pick up the $20 "toy guitar" that's curiously strung up as re-entrant high g, and go to town with a saw and some glue. It'd be cheaper (and less saddening) than trying to source a real neck that's intended for a real instrument.

Maybe some luthier will go all the way, and make some kind of 3-way love-child between a Gittler, Steinberger and Sinsonido in uke format. Psst, I'm hoping it's me! :eek:

What's the point of practicing if you can't hear if you're getting it right?? Its like practicing typing without seeing whta yooor wtyrisnglsoile.asd.d whdsl :rolleyes:

I would find a new wife... but that's just me.

I drove my wife insane years ago so now she doesn't mind if I practise fingerpicking / chord progressions / strumming patterns in front of the TV. It also gives her something tangible to complain about instead of having to think too hard about any imagined imperfections I might have.
Miguel

I ended up taking my uke elsewhere to practice - my workshop. I didn't yet build instruments back then. That was when my wheels turning in terms of building ukes. I've watched very little tv since then - not a bad outcome!

Isn't that going to be kind of like masturbating while pretending to watch TV?

So that's where the old adage "An idle mind makes busy hands..." comes from!

I'm always interested in hearing about what folks do when they have free time.:)

When we lived in a small apt, my husband came home with a tenor sax. Never played one, but wanted to learn. THEY ARE LOUD. Borrow a sax and pretend to want to play it, then go back to a little fingerpicking and she will adore your fingerpicking.
Anne

Top Bottom