String problem

AlexH

Reaction score
Hee,

I've got half a problem half a question.
This christmas my parents bought me a ukulele. A Oscar Schmidt OU3. It's my first. (I play guitar for 1.5 year and I thought this would be fun).
So I tuned my uke (GCEA), and tried to play some stuff. It sounds pretty cool.

Although, sometimes it sounds off tune. Like when I press the C string on the4th fret, it's supposed to be an E, but my tuner says it's an offtune E, or even an (too low) F.

Does anyone recognize this problem and knows the answer?
Is it just because I should get better strings? Or do I have to learn playing slightly softer on the strings? Or should I go back to the store and ask if perhaps there's something wrong with the uke itself.

Last edited:
It's not going to sound precisely like an E note if its on a different string. Like if you play them one at a time, over and over, you'll notice that they have a likeness in sound, but they're not exactly the same. Those notes can be used as guidelines to tune your ukulele, but it won't sound, exactly alike

I mean.
When I play the C string, and I have it pushed down on the 4th fret.
Is it then normal then it's slightly off-tune and not an perfect E?

Sounds like your instrument has some intonation issues.

How is the action? if the action is really high, it can effect the tone because the string has to stretch further to reach the fret.

A change of strings also might help some. The factory stock strings are usually pretty junk.

There may be some other adjustments that can be made that can improve the intonation that a guitar guy could do or that maybe somebody here could explain.

It's not like really too high, I guess most poeple wouldn't notice it.
But I think it can sound better.

I changed the strings today, and it does sound better,
but I still have the problem that when I press the strings (especially the C string), the tone is slightly higher than it should be.

I think I'm gonna go to a guitar guy, if I can find one who also does ukuleles.
Maybe he can adjust it.

It's not like really too high, I guess most poeple wouldn't notice it.
But I think it can sound better.

I changed the strings today, and it does sound better,
but I still have the problem that when I press the strings (especially the C string), the tone is slightly higher than it should be.

I think I'm gonna go to a guitar guy, if I can find one who also does ukuleles.
Maybe he can adjust it.

The difference isn't big, but it's definitely noticeable. Your strings are probably tuned right, but the imitation E note just doesn't naturally sound exactly like the actual E note. But if you're truly convinced somethings wrong with them, by all means, have them fixed. I really don't think you have a problem though

The difference isn't big, but it's definitely noticeable. Your strings are probably tuned right, but the imitation E note just doesn't naturally sound exactly like the actual E note. But if you're truly convinced somethings wrong with them, by all means, have them fixed. I really don't think you have a problem though

Maybe you're right :p
I'm a perfectionist with sounds, and I'm used to the sound of my Ibanez guitar :p
So maybe it's nothing big.

There's an guitar guy not far from here, and I know him.
I think I'm gonna ask his opinion.

Thanks anyway

Top Bottom