PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like the Seasons?

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 07:28 AM
I've been participating for about 7 months now and I see a lot of people trying to work in their videos around their busy lives and schedules. What are the things you like about participating in the Seasons?

I started off barely able to play and it gives me a reason to practice. Everyone was very positive when I started so I've kept it up. Personally, I have learned basics like strumming patterns and chord changes by watching some of the more advanced players. As a side benefit I've made a few friends (see you in a couple weeks, Berni). And even those I haven't corresponded with I feel like I've gotten to know (if you haven't seen Pa's vacation video around Australia I highly recommend it).

So, why do you keep doing it?

GaryC1968
06-24-2013, 07:43 AM
So, why do you keep doing it?

Plain and simply, for the money. ;)

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Plain and simply, for the money. ;)

Yes, but that's only good for the winners :drool:

Surely, there is more to the Seasons than just $?

Raygf
06-24-2013, 08:20 AM
The Seasons are motivation and inspiration for me.

GaryC1968
06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes, but that's only good for the winners :drool:

Surely, there is more to the Seasons than just $?

Seriously, I like seeing what the new theme is each Sunday. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to do, other times I don't. The seasons got me into the whole poem-song thing. If I didn't have a song idea for a certain season, I'd Google poems for the theme and work on coming up with chord progressions that would work. It's been lots of fun participating in the seasons and I don't see any reason for it to end soon. :)

erivel
06-24-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm in it to win it...just kidding! :) I've never won one. I just do it for fun. It's a challenge for me to see if I can come up with a song and record it quickly, like when my wife takes the kids to the store or they're all out playing with the neighbors, or when they're all asleep!

I thought I had no time when I had one kid, now that there's two its even more tricky. But I truly enjoy the comradery and the great videos that the Seasonistas churn out every week!

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 08:35 AM
I thought I had no time when I had one kid, now that there's two its even more tricky.

Wait til you get three. Though by the time I got three my feeling was "Well, I can't work more than all the time....."

I agree, Eric, I enjoy the camaraderie.

Barbablanca
06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
I started off just glad to have a largely English speaking audience to pitch my own compositions at. But that is now very much a secondary motivation since the Seasons have become a real community for me. I love listening to as many videos as I can manage and appreciating the skills of some of the really great players here (Val and Eugene, to name but two). I love the partnerships (We Tigers, Ukelites, TCK & Partner). I'm excited by seeing how certain individuals have really improved over time! Plus, I'm learning too, especially from Pabrizzer's Blues Videos!

In short, the Seasons have become an inspiration and a genuine source of friendship and support! That's why I'm hooked! Viva los seasonistas!

See you soon Fred (and family) :cool:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Just a few of the reasons I love the Seasons:

I love the challenge of finding a new song to learn, play, and record every week, and I love seeing how everyone else responds to each challenge.

Watching everyone get better and better each week is a great source of inspiration.

I love letting my fellow Seasonistas know what I like about their videos :) although I don't always have as much time as I'd like to do so :(

I'm always excited to see who wins each Season.

I could go on and on. Thanks again to chrimess for starting this crazy thing, and thanks to everyone who keeps it going!!

wallyboy
06-24-2013, 09:50 AM
i love the characters in seasons, hats, pets, family,location, etc, i try and learn from seasons, some great talent,
i do the seasons for fun, i can only do certain seasons bacause i have'nt the skill to do everyone,

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
i love the characters in seasons, hats, pets, family,location, etc,

I know what you mean. I think I've seen each room of Doug F's house.... :-)

xommen
06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Just a few of the reasons I love the Seasons:

I love the challenge of finding a new song to learn, play, and record every week, and I love seeing how everyone else responds to each challenge.

Watching everyone get better and better each week is a great source of inspiration.

I love letting my fellow Seasonistas know what I like about their videos :) although I don't always have as much time as I'd like to do so :(

I'm always excited to see who wins each Season.

I could go on and on. Thanks again to chrimess for starting this crazy thing, and thanks to everyone who keeps it going!!

This pretty much sums it up for me also. I think it also motivates me to play more, which in the end is good for getting better.

mattydee
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
I really enjoy the challenge of finding a song, arranging it, learning it and recording it over the course of a week. Learning a new song every week has done loads for me as a player and as a singer, and seeing what other people come up with always pushes me to raise my own personal bar. And I love seeing other folks rise to the challenge as well.

Plus, come on, it's another excuse to hang out on UU! And to meet and play with some of those folks in real life, at UWC, is a real trip. Super fun!

austin1
06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I like the seasons because I like bending the rules. Also, I like the challenge of having to be as creative as possible within limits. Also, I like watching everybody else be really creative and do cool things. Also, the Seasonistas are a pretty classy bunch.

bonesigh
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
The seasons of the uke have been inspirational. Helped me to discover songs I don't think I'd even have considered playing before that particular season. The seasons also inspire me to write new songs and...your like my own personal audience...and I am yours. I love listening to all the talented singers and songwriters here. A big "Thank You" to all who participate. You are all winners (:

librainian
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I've only participated for a few weeks now. All the reasons stated are valid for me, but the order might be slightly different.

1. Social benefits - It's been a great way to form some contacts within this great community.
2. Motivation - its a great excuse to try new things in a supportive and nurturing environment
3. Inspiration - Seeing all of your song choices, different approaches to these songs makes them all new again. You can learn so much just by watching someone else do it differently than you would. Not better or worse - just... different
4. Recreation - its DAMN FUN!!

Cheers!

frisbee fred
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I like the seasons because I like bending the rules.

:D Which rules?? Hardly any rules here......

I must say that you were the one that inspired me to try to multi-track after I saw your awesome end of year summation video!

decaturcomp
06-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Not to cop out but I dig all of the answers so far.
Mostly its the collegial nature of the community.
I dig that everyone is striving to improve and improving.
I feel honored to be considered a friend by all of you.
PLUS UWC was a lot more fun this year knowing that some of you kids were going to be there.
I still wish I'd gotten us to sing the Myrna Theme Theme Theme song that I added some stuff to.
UWC VI for sure, right?

Thanks to everyone. Yer a sterling bunch.

austin1
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
:D Which rules?? Hardly any rules here......

I must say that you were the one that inspired me to try to multi-track after I saw your awesome end of year summation video!

Well, I like trying to extend the seasons theme to something that it probably shouldn't apply to. It's fun!

And good on you, being a multi-tracking beast! Is there a video of your first multi-track on the interwebs?

Paul December
06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
I've read this entire thread...
...and have no idea what you are all talking about :confused:

Would someone please post a link?

Pueo
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I think it is great fun, and I like the challenge aspect of trying to choose, learn, and record a song in a week.
The creativity of all the seasonistas in both performing AND choosing the themes is really inspiring. I wish I had more entries, but I keep trying! Looking forward to hosting at the end of next month!

frisbee fred
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I've read this entire thread...
...and have no idea what you are all talking about :confused:

Would someone please post a link?

Could it be that you have not heard about the Seasons of the Ukulele Contests?!

Lime
06-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I like reading/watching the Seasons. Haven't participated yet because I'm ubernoob and I can't play crap for crap, but possibly someday.

ETA: Oh yeah, forgot to say why. I like it because I like to see how others can improve and it encourages me to improve, that way I don't get discouraged about being able to play crap for crap.

Paul December
06-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Could it be that you have not heard about the Seasons of the Ukulele Contests?!

...still no link posted...

frisbee fred
06-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Go to the main page and click through the following: Forum -Ukulele Boards - UU Contests - Seasons of the Ukulele

You will see that we are on our 71st Season.

GinnyT11
06-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Seasons have been going for 71 weeks. Maybe you haven't clicked on New Posts because that generally makes more than one pop up. It's a whole subsection under Contests. Here's some information:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75049-Your-invitation-to-the-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele!

frisbee fred
06-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I like reading/watching the Seasons. Haven't participated yet because I'm ubernoob and I can't play crap for crap, but possibly someday.

ETA: Oh yeah, forgot to say why. I like it because I like to see how others can improve and it encourages me to improve, that way I don't get discouraged about being able to play crap for crap.

Lime, Lime, Lime......we have all been ubernoobs. Start with something easy and post it. That's what most of us have done. You'll see a lot of support from the Seasonistas :-)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Someday you'll be able to play crap for crap (I'm guessing your playing already sounds better than you think). Then the next time a Season's theme appeals to you, join us!

Oh, and don't forget the greatness of the Ukulele Beginners thread for questions and ideas. I check there about once a day to see if there's anything I can help anyone with. (Got to keep "growing the next generation of ukulele players". Hurray, UU!)

UncleMoon
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I just posted my first one last week - and it's a song I've been playing forEVER - it's the first song I could play through without looking at the songsheet. I did it to get my feet wet, and to get feedback from people other than those that are supposed to tell me it was great.

This week is the challenge - pick it, learn it, and feel good enough about it that I'll post it. I'm just about positive it'll suck, but that's pat of the game. The more I do it, the less they'll suck. That's my motivation. I'm hoping to make this a weekly habit.

UncleMoon
06-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Lime, Lime, Lime......we have all been ubernoobs. Start with something easy and post it. That's what most of us have done. You'll see a lot of support from the Seasonistas :-)

I second this.

Hochapeafarm
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Frisbee Fred ~ What an awesome thread -- thanks for posting this! I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's responses so much! I agree with the sentiments noted, too --- friendship, fun, learning, the challenge of growing as a uke player; the abundance of support, encouragement, and care that people have for one another here -- whether it be for "uke'ing" reasons or just "life" reasons. There's not many places that I can truly say that I feel comfortable just being silly "me" -- and UU is one of those places. For so many wonderful reasons, I feel that I can do just that here without worry of being judged or ridiculed or made fun of. That's pretty cool, to me. You guys are THE BEST! I thank you all for bringing such light into my life!!!! :-)

29moons
06-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I was lucky enough to get in on the first week so I think I started out for the new uke. But, once it got rolling it became about the weekly challenge and watching everyone's videos. I've made new friends and look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Also, I have improved immensely just by doing something new every week.

greyghost
06-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I've only participated for a few weeks now. All the reasons stated are valid for me, but the order might be slightly different.

1. Social benefits - It's been a great way to form some contacts within this great community.
2. Motivation - its a great excuse to try new things in a supportive and nurturing environment
3. Inspiration - Seeing all of your song choices, different approaches to these songs makes them all new again. You can learn so much just by watching someone else do it differently than you would. Not better or worse - just... different
4. Recreation - its DAMN FUN!!

Cheers!
All of this. I'm kind of shy about playing in front of people, and the seasons are beating that right out of me. I feel like each entry I've done has had a major impact on my playing, and frankly the encouragement I've gotten from some of you has been extremely important to me. When people whose skills and taste I admire tell me that I've done something they really enjoyed, that really boosts my motivation to keep plugging away and trying to improve! Thanks so much, seasonistas!

frisbee fred
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
When people whose skills and taste I admire tell me that I've done something they really enjoyed, that really boosts my motivation to keep plugging away and trying to improve!

Right on, Greyghost.

Mandalyn
06-26-2013, 06:51 PM
I watched the seasons for over a year before I posted a video in one. I would often play along at home by learning a song for the weeks theme. I do not get to keep up with the seasons as much as I used to, but I like to watch them when I can on Sundays. I love the Seasons because it constantly reminds me you can play anything you want on the ukulele and I am often finding myself inspired to learn a new song.

decaturcomp
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM
You actually inspired me with your selection of songs waaaay back last November at TBUG. You're so talented and such a great singer. Keeping everyone awake singing harmonies with you seeso, matt, tim and company was my favorite music of UWC.

I watched the seasons for over a year before I posted a video in one. I would often play along at home by learning a song for the weeks theme. I do not get to keep up with the seasons as much as I used to, but I like to watch them when I can on Sundays. I love the Seasons because it constantly reminds me you can play anything you want on the ukulele and I am often finding myself inspired to learn a new song.

Mandalyn
06-26-2013, 08:23 PM
You actually inspired me with your selection of songs waaaay back last November at TBUG. You're so talented and such a great singer. Keeping everyone awake singing harmonies with you seeso, matt, tim and company was my favorite music of UWC.
Thank you! :)
TBUG really opened my eyes to how much I could improve on.
I loved the late night jam sessions! They were my favorite. I was way too excited to sleep at UWC!

rem50
06-27-2013, 09:10 AM
It's like a learning ladder. I like that there are so many levels of players. We that are starting out can see those ahead and reach for that level of playing/performing. If all I ever saw was Aldrine and Jake I would probably quit because I know I will never get that good. Don't get me wrong, I will get a lot better as I practice but never as good as them. In the seasons, there is always someone we might consider being within a rung we can reach to play as well as they do.

Lime
06-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks, guys. You're all super nice and supportive. I promise to post soon! I want to do something with my daughter, because stuff like that's super cute.

I second this.

Someday you'll be able to play crap for crap (I'm guessing your playing already sounds better than you think). Then the next time a Season's theme appeals to you, join us!

Oh, and don't forget the greatness of the Ukulele Beginners thread for questions and ideas. I check there about once a day to see if there's anything I can help anyone with. (Got to keep "growing the next generation of ukulele players". Hurray, UU!)

etf
06-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I just love watching everyone in the Seasons. I take my hat off to each and everyone of you. I have only played in front of my wife but so want to buck up the courage to enter. I'm sort of still in my early days of playing but I have seen how supportive of everyone you all are. I guess I'm just one of those guys that thinks everyone will be having a laugh at my expense, don't get me wrong, I know you would never do that it's just me convincing myself that's what will happen. I need to pick up the courage to enter my first one. Then I know it will help me grow as a player as I've seen it with others in the past.
I only have my iPad to record on but I guess some of you do the same. So, do I just find a song that suits and upload it? Not sure of the process of how to enter and even less unsure of how to upload a video (is it same process as loading a picture?) See this is what happens after you pass 50 lol.

ETF :cool:

xommen
06-28-2013, 12:13 AM
I just love watching everyone in the Seasons. I take my hat off to each and everyone of you. I have only played in front of my wife but so want to buck up the courage to enter. I'm sort of still in my early days of playing but I have seen how supportive of everyone you all are. I guess I'm just one of those guys that thinks everyone will be having a laugh at my expense, don't get me wrong, I know you would never do that it's just me convincing myself that's what will happen. I need to pick up the courage to enter my first one. Then I know it will help me grow as a player as I've seen it with others in the past.
I only have my iPad to record on but I guess some of you do the same. So, do I just find a song that suits and upload it? Not sure of the process of how to enter and even less unsure of how to upload a video (is it same process as loading a picture?) See this is what happens after you pass 50 lol.

You have to abide by the rules the host sets of course, but when a song fits that yeah just record it.
Then you need to upload the video to youtube (and not set it to private ;)), so do need to create a youtube account if you don't have it.
Then you can use the film roll on top of reply field to include the link to the youtube video.

UkeyDave
06-28-2013, 01:15 AM
I think everyone has pretty much covered all the great reasons why I love The Seasons. I began contributing around week 21 and I can't believe we are into week 71 already.

From a personal viewpoint, I love to watch all the different styles of playing and feel it has really helped and continues to push and help me become a better player and I feel I have grown in confidence too. I'm still not confident about playing in public but the seasons is a safe and supportive environment. Having only been playing for just over a year I reckon I've picked up loads and loads of useful things just by watching great players. Everyone brings their own unique style to the seasons and I just love to try and steal bits of technique from different players.

Its not just the great Uke players though as I also get lots of ideas for songs to play by seeing others perform them and then trying them for myself. I have discovered loads of new songs since belonging to this great club. There are just so many great contributors to the seasons all with their own uniqueness.

Another really good aspect of the seasons are how they force us to go out of our comfort zone sometimes and this is also a great confidence builder as I know there are songs that I would NEVER have even thought about attempting had it not been for the seasons and I reckon this is a good way of improving our own playing too.

Finally the laughter it has given me with some of the wonderful creativity is also very uplifting. I really couldn't imagine life without the seasons or UU.

Thank you one and all. I'm so glad I stumbled on this place. Long live the Seasons.

ukuLily Mars
06-28-2013, 04:57 PM

I've used my iPad a couple times and it's fine. If you just start with the steps of creating your YouTube channel and making the video it will come together. The first one might take a while but you will get the hang of it!

I do hope you will give it a try! We would love to have you join us!

we tigers
07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
The Seasons provide us with a reason to spend quality time and play music together, when before we would just veg in front of the telly and be exhausted from handling the wee tigers.
We have found the Seasons an incredible learning experience:
* We got to know a lot of new music, because everyone brings their own musical background into the Seasons
* We learned a lot of techniques by simply playing and hoping things would work out
* We learned to use our voices. This is still challenging...
* We learned some editing skills in Garageband and IMovies! Michael loves playing around with that.
* We got reacquainted with our own record collection, and we love roaming the Internet trying to find songs to match the challenge. There's so much out there! We also love sharing songs we hope are unfamiliar but mean a lot to us.
But best of all:
* We learned so much from all those fine, supportive people that are up the Seasonistas! Your dedication to music, playing and encouraging all new players is inspiring.

decaturcomp
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
This response makes me want to change my response to "Because of we tigers".

The Seasons provide us with a reason to spend quality time and play music together, when before we would just veg in front of the telly and be exhausted from handling the wee tigers.
We have found the Seasons an incredible learning experience:
* We got to know a lot of new music, because everyone brings their own musical background into the Seasons
* We learned a lot of techniques by simply playing and hoping things would work out
* We learned to use our voices. This is still challenging...
* We learned some editing skills in Garageband and IMovies! Michael loves playing around with that.
* We got reacquainted with our own record collection, and we love roaming the Internet trying to find songs to match the challenge. There's so much out there! We also love sharing songs we hope are unfamiliar but mean a lot to us.
But best of all:
* We learned so much from all those fine, supportive people that are up the Seasonistas! Your dedication to music, playing and encouraging all new players is inspiring.

Tootler
07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Others have covered most points but as well as finding new songs I am enjoying rediscovering songs from my past. Mrs Cloverdale has to bear some blame for that as her guilty secrets week was what got me looking back at songs from my younger days that at one time I would have been embarrassed to admit I liked.

Sometimes after listening to an entry, I will click on the suggested videos alongside and I have been struck by the contrast with some of the highly polished commercial videos for current pop songs. Yes the production is slick but behind it there is often a shallowness. Compared with that while the seasons videos may not always be too slick (though many are very good) but the sincerity and the love of the music comes through. It has made me realise to what extent commercial "top twenty" music is overproduced to the extent that the content has become secondary to the visuals. The triumph of form over function.

strumsilly
07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Others have covered most points but as well as finding new songs I am enjoying rediscovering songs from my past. Mrs Cloverdale has to bear some blame for that as her guilty secrets week was what got me looking back at songs from my younger days that at one time I would have been embarrassed to admit I liked.

Sometimes after listening to an entry, I will click on the suggested videos alongside and I have been struck by the contrast with some of the highly polished commercial videos for current pop songs. Yes the production is slick but behind it there is often a shallowness. Compared with that while the seasons videos may not always be too slick (though many are very good) but the sincerity and the love of the music comes through. It has made me realise to what extent commercial "top twenty" music is overproduced to the extent that the content has become secondary to the visuals. The triumph of form over function.
I couldn't have said it better.