NUD - Kepasa Gypsy Rose Concert - with a review and a question.

davidrboy

Reaction score
To be fair, NUD was about a week ago, but I am just getting around to putting it down long enough to post.

k3.jpg
When I asked a couple weeks ago about a cedar or spruce topped concert, I got some great responses. Thanks.

But one in particular turned out to be, without a doubt, a perfect fit and a lifetime instrument for me: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82467-Kepasa-Gypsy-Rose-Concert

It came with a foam style hardcase, but would love to know if anyone has found a proper hardcase that fits these Gypsy Rose concerts. The lower bout isn't much if any much wider than my Koaloha, but the waist is significantly wider. Anyone know a good, slightly wider concert hardcase?

I would stick with this case, except I don't like these and the fit isn't snug. I have to pack a couple dust rags in around the body. This uke deserves better. (No fiberglass or ABS for me, I prefer tolex or tweed on wood.)

Attachments

• P1210308.jpg
    P1210308.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Congrats on the new uke! I would love to own one of these (my want list is growing, most unlike my bank account).

Aloha David
Congrats...Your Gypsy rose looks awesome...woww I wish I could try it ...no sight of any here in the middle of the pacific....happy strummings...

Congratulations! It's very unusual looking. Does it sound different from a "standard" ukulele?

Congratulations! It's very unusual looking. Does it sound different from a "standard" ukulele?

Thanks. I sure like the way it looks. Very woody and organic. Very calm and clean.
Not sure what you mean by standard, but I suppose you mean a more traditional figure-8 shape? This uke sounds different to me than any of the other ukes I have owned, and most ukes that I have ever played. Warm but not muddy. Projecting but not bright or harsh. But I do not chalk that up to the Selmer/Macaferri shape so much as the overall construction, including the volume (size) of the soundbox, the woods used, and any other of the ten-thousand factors I wouldn't even begin to pretend that I understand about what makes an instrument sound just how it does.
I am just glad there are people out there who do understand how all this works. And that they keep building ukes that have different sounds, so that we can all find ones that suit us and inspire us.

Last edited:
I totally love that uke aesthetically and I'm sure it sounds absolutely awesome.

But... Kepasa? Que pasa? THAT'S one cool uke!!!

Still looking for a good case for this. I am not a big fan of the rectangle cases, but may have to go that route if I can't find another option. Or I might just have to go the RB route, although I really prefer latches to zippers for day to day use.

Anyone got any ideas?

Top Bottom