Aquila strings on a vintage Martin style 0? A tension question:

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I bought a vintage Martin here on UU two weeks (fabulous uke by UU member Howie!) and it came with Aquilas. Sounded really great, but this weekend and wanted to exchange and putting worth clear CM. It did not sound bad, but I still like more the timbre and feelings of Aquila strings on this Martin
*for me, fluorocarbon strings like worth clear was made for my koa ukes when it need to sounds really hawaiian*.
My question: With the time, years, decades, I have more risk of damages by strong tension on the soundboard with Aquilas? I will be preserving my vintage martin with worth clear CM /martin m600 strings?

I just bought one too, it hasn't arrived yet., and it has Aquila on it.many people actually tune these up a step to D. I really don't think you'd damage it with high tension strings. Caution, this is only my opinion.I have rarely seen these with bridge problems, cracks yes, but they were built pretty well. I think I'll put the Oasis set I just got sent if don't like the Aquila on it.

Appreciate the "Kudos" Fabio !

Last edited:
Have had Aquilas on my pre-war O for years, no problems at all. Beautiful tone.

I've actually been using Aquila Concert strings on my vintage Martin sopranos for years with no problems. They sound great, and having about 10% more tension than soprano sets, don't feel as mushy.

Yes just drop tune it to Bb or B maybe A# hee hee but I would prefer martin strings on my martin...no other string choice except if you can get Oasis tenor strings...that would be the best..

Top Bottom