New Tenor Pineapple

Caught2

Reaction score
I just acquired a new uke. It is a D.S. GILL tenor pineapple. The body and neck are aromatic red cedar. The fretboard is walnut. I find the red color to be very attractive and the aroma of the cedar to be very pleasing. Mr. Gill had it strung with Aquila strings witha low G. I am not much of a low G guy so I put South Coast Medium Lights on. The uke has a very pretty voice which seems to improve everytime it is played. With the help of the guys at Elderly, I was able to find a nice case made by Lanikai that the uke fits in perfectly. So far I am liking this uke and case a lot.

Shawn13 - 6.jpg13 - 6 (1).jpg13 - 5 (1).jpg13 - 2.jpg1.jpg

Thanks Trinimon,
They are part of the natural color of the aromatic cedar (on the body). The light colored stripe on the neck is some blonde wood sandwiched between the cedar in order to make the neck stronger. I have seen him use walnut (I believe) before in the same way. Maybe this is ash or maple? I'll have to send him an email to ask.

Shawn

Thanks Trinimon,
They are part of the natural color of the aromatic cedar (on the body). The light colored stripe on the neck is some blonde wood sandwiched between the cedar in order to make the neck stronger. I have seen him use walnut (I believe) before in the same way. Maybe this is ash or maple? I'll have to send him an email to ask.

Shawn

That would be maple in the neck.
I have a tenor all cedar fluke. I always tell people to smell my hole.
in time the orange will turn a little more brown, but it sounds better too.
Welcome to the DSG club. Maybe next year he will come to UWC so people can meet him

Great uke! I bet it does smell great! I love the pineapples!

Thanks for the welcome Tim,

You have a Gill pineapple too, don't you? Have you found that the cedar shows fingernail strum marks fairly easily? Have you ever considered a clear pick guard to protect the finish or are the strum marks there to show how much a uke is loved?

Shawn

Congrats...Your pineaple looks sweet...happy strummings..wow wow wish I could try one of his ukes...:)

Thanks Stan,

Mr. Gill makes a really nice uke at a great price. I find it very easy to play. Since Mr. Gill is a local guy (Columbus, IN), I would guess most of his ukes are here in the midwest unless someone buys one while they are making a pilgramage to UWC.

Awesome uke. I have a DS Gill tenor fluke style in with a white cedar top. It sounds awesome and plays like a dream. His instruments are great and priced really low for the quality you get IMHO.

Top Bottom