Tenor low tension string lovers....?

d-mace

Reaction score
I recently got a tenor again....usually I drop the tuning down to A or A# because I don't like the high tension. Last night I put on a set of D'Addario Pro Arte J45 (regular tension) classical strings (1-4...the 4th string is wound) and I'm loving them. I only dropped the tuning to B and the tension feels great. The tone is still warm and full which I like. I've tried lighter tension strings on tenors in the past but they sound a bit too thin for my liking.

This is the first time I've tried a classical guitar string pack on a tenor before. I've liked them on baritones. Curious if there are any other lower tension tenor strings you guys like and why?

Aloha Dave,
I have a set on my silver creek baritone and they are certainly uke strings with low tension and they have a warm rich sound..also the substain and resonaton it amazing....but maybe
too low tension for me....

Southcoast has a number of string sets that can be adjusted in tuning. I use Bflat tuning on most of my tenors using their Mediums. I really like the sound on most tenors as it highlights the higher notes while sustaining a richer bottom. There are probably exceptions to some ukes, of course, but I think it is a useful thing to try. I've tried other brands tuning down but not with as much success as SC.

Aloha Dave,
I have a set on my silver creek baritone and they are certainly uke strings with low tension and they have a warm rich sound..also the substain and resonaton it amazing....but maybe
too low tension for me....

Yes....I agree. The tension is low but this new tenor sounds sooooooo good and has a great setup. Even with the low tension tuned at B it still rings so loud and try as I might it will not buzz.

Southcoast has a number of string sets that can be adjusted in tuning. I use Bflat tuning on most of my tenors using their Mediums. I really like the sound on most tenors as it highlights the higher notes while sustaining a richer bottom.

Yes....! I just had SC mediums on it. Tuned to Bflat was high enough tension for me. I wanted to try and tune a bit higher which is why I did a string swap. I think this uke sounds better tuned in B or C. I ordered some SC light mediums the other day so I can tune higher but I'm loving these Pro Arte regular tensions maybe to much to swap.

Worth's "Medium" strings which are generally used on Soprano/Concerts give a nice low-tension feeling on tenors.

Worth "Tenors" are quite high tension

The D'Addario Nyltechs have a nice feel on a tenor size.

I had a Kanilea with those and they were my favorite. The classical set I have on right now has less tension and my fingers like it.

Worth's "Medium" strings which are generally used on Soprano/Concerts give a nice low-tension feeling on tenors.

Worth "Tenors" are quite high tension

That's a great tip. I'll have to try some mediums some time. Did you find the tone much thinner sounding with them?

I wouldn't really say it was thinner sounding.
A bit mellower with less boominess. Still a big sound, since tenor

I've used Aquila concert strings on my tenors for many years now. They're just as loud, play in tune, sound good and are easier to play.

I've used Aquila concert strings on my tenors for many years now. They're just as loud, play in tune, sound good and are easier to play.

Ease of playability was at first an issue when moving from Aquila's or other nylon strings to fluoro's. But after couple weeks my fingers got used to the thinner strings and now feel more comfortable.

Great reminder....I forgot all about using concert strings on a tenor.

Top Bottom