Want to be in our SEASONISTAS ANTHEM video?

GinnyT11

Reaction score
We're making a Seasonistas Anthem video!

In Season 57, I posted a song for which I had rewritten lyrics to make it about ukers. Several people said it seemed almost like a Seasonistas anthem. Well, now—because of the generosity and mad skillz of 23skidoo (Bill)—it CAN be, and we can all play it TOGETHER! I've revised the lyrics even further and now call it "I'd Like to Teach the World to Strum."

If you've posted a video you made specifically for a Seasons challenge, you're a Seasonista, and you're ALL invited to participate in a multi-tracked video singing this song! Bill will take all these contributions and do some Skidoo-studio magic with sound levels, video quality, multi-tracking and multiple windows to create a fuller, fancier music video—woo hoo! (If you haven't seen Bill's studio tricks, check out this or this.)

Here's how it will work...
It’s not too complicated and doesn’t require special equipment—all you need is a computer, a video camera or webcam, earbud or headphones, an ukulele, and your individual Seasoning!

1 – Download the PDF document at this link: https://www.box.com/s/4y5874ampeh8qcdljxbj
This is the lyrics and chord changes for the song.

2 – Download the audio file at this link: https://www.box.com/s/9yv0ys81z63ydgjst290
This is a recording of Bill playing and singing the song.
Here's an additional click track: https://www.box.com/s/lt857znzmcbhbc55na7s
For this to be possible, we’re all going to have to be on the same page, and this audio file is the foundation upon which we will build our ukulele masterpiece!
The idea is simple: with Bill’s recording going in your ear, play and sing along with him while you’re making your own video. This way, the tempo and tuning will all be the same and he can combine the various tracks more easily.

3 – Set up your recording equipment. Any quality of recording is encouraged—use whatever set up you usually use and we can make it work! The only consideration is volume—please make sure your recording is as loud as you can easily make it.

4 – Get some headphones. You’ll need to listen to Bill’s base track while you’re recording your video, but we only want to hear you and not his original recording in your contribution. Headphones aren’t pretty, but there really is no other way to play along with the base track without hearing it in your video. If you have an mp3 player, it may be easier to listen to the file that way. If you need help figuring out how to listen to the track and play along at the same time, just let Bill know.

5 – Get in tune. The audio file has tuning reference notes at the beginning so we’ll all be in tune.

6 – LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION! Record your contribution, playing along with Bill.
~Record in your customary spot (car, attic, music room, study) so we'll recognize you in a brief clip.
~Feel free to sing harmony, especially on the choruses.
~If your recording has back lighting that overwhelms your face, consider re-doing it, as it will look different than the other videos.

7 – Upload your video to YouTube. Feel free to make the video ‘unlisted,’ but not ‘private’ (we can’t use it that way). Please include your UU username in your video title—this will make it easier for Bill to keep track of all the file names.
NOTE: There has been some concern lately about matched-content notifications from YouTube. Don't worry (says Bill)—that shouldn't be a concern for this project. The title and lyrics are different and the YouTube copyright protection scan won't take notice of the similar chord progression.

8 – Post your video by AUGUST 7. Post it in this thread or send the link to 23skidoo in a PM.

That’s it! If you have technical questions, don’t hesitate to ask Bill, either here in the thread or by private message. Also, if you need either of the downloadable files in a different format, shoot him a PM.

Let's rock, Seasonistas!

Ginny + Bill

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Submissions: 55 of us! 23skidoo, 29moons, alemarco, austin1, barbablanca, barefootgypsy, bird's eye view of my uke, bonesigh; caukulele(&Ray), chrimess, CTurner, decaturcomp, Dougf, DWitt, electrauke, elmann, erivel, filipinouker, frisbee fred(&Audrey), GaryC1968, GinnyT11, glass, J-Peg, jazzbanjorex, kleblanc, ksiegel, librainian, mattydee, mikef, myrnaukulele, ombracorta, peewee, pootsie, Pueo, Raygf, southside mike, strumsilly, TCK, TheOnlyUkeThatMatters, thesillydave, TheUkeBloke, Tootler, Uke4ia, Ukelites, UkeyDave, ukuleledaddy, ukuleledaveey, ukuLily Mars, ukuloonie, UncleMoon, wallyboy, we tigers, wolfchs, xommen, ~dave~~wave~

14 women contributors: alemarco; (ffred&)Audrey; austin1; barefootgypsy, bird's eye view of my uke; bonesigh; caukulele; filipinouker; GinnyT11; myrnaukulele; ukuLily Mars; wolfchs, 1/2 of Ukelites; 1/2 of we tigers

Parade of U.S. States: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Parade of Nations: Australia, Canada, Catalonia, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Philippines, Portugal, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Playlist

Last edited:
Count me in! Cool project!

gave it a couple of tries last night. nothing I'm delighted with yet.

a couple of notes from my experience:
-I failed to note that the 2 chorus repeat is two (2) repeats of the FIRST verse only and not the first and second. (My bad but might help others)
-The "That's the song I hear" line begins very quickly after the preceding line. I missed it the first couple of times. I'd say, just be ready to jump.
-It did occur to me (given our proclivity for costumes, hats etc) to make two passes at this in different garb thereby increasing the number of looks that could be gleaned from a limited number of Seasonistas. If this just increases the complexity for Bill and isn't useful I apologize for suggesting it. Move along please. Nothing to see here.
-This is fun

We have 118 Seasonistas who have joined the Seasonistas group, and I have a list of another 18 who have contributed but not joined whom I'm contacting.
I'm hoping we might get as many as 40 players involved. But it could be our version of "We Are the World" and have loads of ukers playing.

cool, I'll try it, one stupid question regarding "Feel free to sing harmony, especially on the choruses." I really don't see a part that repeats like a chorus. well that's not even really a question.:confused:

cool, I'll try it, one stupid question regarding "Feel free to sing harmony, especially on the choruses." I really don't see a part that repeats like a chorus. well that's not even really a question.:confused:

strum - I meant the 'that's the song I hear' part.... if you listen to the original, there are those great early 70's harmonies throughout the whole tune, but that refrain would be an ideal spot for harmony, I think. Not sure if we can swing it, but we've got some great vocalists in the Seasons - figured I'd put it out there and see what people make of it.... My vocals on the initial recording aren't the greatest, but I'm hoping people can make it work.....

Last edited:
This is a fun project, but it's come at the worst possible time, for me. I'll be travelling for the next few days (Barcelona, Liverpool, Wales, then Dublin....) and then we're off to the US for our epic 4 week adventure!

So, all the best with it you guys. I look forward to hearing and seeing the result!

Berni, we MUST have you in the video!
Write to Bill about your schedule and he'll hold a place for you. The production is a friendly one, without rigidity.

PS I have given it a listen and played along and would recommend that as this is only the guide track you do it again with a click track and "la la" the spaces in blank so that it is crystal clear where we are supposed to be. My experience echoed Alan's. I tried a simple lead using my 8 string Uke like a mandolin and got lost too easily.

strum - I meant the 'that's the song I hear' part.... if you listen to the original, there are those great early 70's harmonies throughout the whole tune, but that refrain would be an ideal spot for harmony, I think. Not sure if we can swing it, but we've got some great vocalists in the Seasons - figured I'd put it out there and see what people make of it.... My vocals on the initial recording aren't the greatest, but I'm hoping people can make it work.....
ok, I get it, thanks.

that's a great idea, Berni - I"ll try to get a new file uploaded later today. And I'm going to try to get over to Alan's place while you're here in town - we might just have to have a quick recording sessions, if you're game....

PS I have given it a listen and played along and would recommend that as this is only the guide track you do it again with a click track and "la la" the spaces in blank so that it is crystal clear where we are supposed to be. My experience echoed Alan's. I tried a simple lead using my 8 string Uke like a mandolin and got lost too easily.

I'm definitely up for this. I've downloaded the PDF but I couldn't persuade the mp3 to download on my iPad so I'll have to go upstairs and deal with it on my PC. I might be able to do something next week otherwise it'll have to be later in the month as I'm away on holiday for 2 weeks from next Friday.

What fun, thanks Ginny and Bill!
I will do my best to get involved!

OH YEA BABY. I'M IN. FANTASTIC IDEA. This will be great. Love it love it love it.

Top Bottom