PDA

View Full Version : I'm not impressed with Uke Republic customer service

Captain Simian
06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I've now ordered twice from them and both times I received an e-mail that the received my order and then nothing confirming that my item was shipped. Both time I've had to contact them to find out what was going on with my order after waiting a few days to hear from them. First time I was given an excuse that some automated e-mail program didn't work. This time I wasn't given an excuse; I was told that my item would be getting sent out tomorrow, almost a week after I placed my order. Granted these are small items that I've purchased, but I am very close to having the funds to make a major uke purchase. UR has the uke I want at a reasonable price. However I'm now uneasy about ordering and then having to wonder if I'll ever see my item. Every company I've ordered from online has always kept me in the loop about the status of my order except UR. Personally, I doubt I'll give them anymore business.

haolejohn
06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I've now ordered twice from them and both times I received an e-mail that the received my order and then nothing confirming that my item was shipped. Both time I've had to contact them to find out what was going on with my order after waiting a few days to hear from them. First time I was given an excuse that some automated e-mail program didn't work. This time I wasn't given an excuse; I was told that my item would be getting sent out tomorrow, almost a week after I placed my order. Granted these are small items that I've purchased, but I am very close to having the funds to make a major uke purchase. UR has the uke I want at a reasonable price. However I'm now uneasy about ordering and then having to wonder if I'll ever see my item. Every company I've ordered from online has always kept me in the loop about the status of my order except UR. Personally, I doubt I'll give them anymore business.

I know that they were on vacation a week ago. That could explain the delay. It is a two person business.

ukegirl
06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
I've found mikes service to be excellent

kvehe
06-24-2013, 05:37 PM
I've made a number of purchases, and everything has always been top-notch. It's too bad your experiences have been different.

Paul December
06-24-2013, 05:43 PM
I have had (very) poor service as well, but you aren't allowed to say that here...
... before the fanboys come to the rescue.

Just spend your $$$$ elsewhere, I do.

Steedy
06-24-2013, 05:43 PM
+1 for Uke Republic. Call Mike, tell him what you want, and he'll make sure you get it! Great ukes, with great setups, and great service every time.

EDIT: Not a fanboy, just a satisfied repeat customer.

Tigeralum2001
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
It's easy to forget how small most (all?) uke shops are in the days of Amazon Prime... All of which I am aware are small businesses, the largest has less than 15 employees, and most have 2-5. Is it possible to have bad service at a shop with a good reputation? Yes. However, please remember that you are dealing with small businesses here, not huge corporations with robots and 2 day delivery.

Just my :2cents:

Lime
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
+1 for Uke Republic. Call Mike, tell him what you want, and he'll make sure you get it! Great ukes, with great setups, and great service every time.

EDIT: Not a fanboy, just a satisfied repeat customer.
I've never ordered from UR, and I'm new around here so I don't care either way, but I don't see why you should have to call to tell them what you want. If you've made an order. it should include all pertinent information and I assume that it's implicit in the fact that an order has been placed that you want good service. You shouldn't have to call and tell them that.

ukegirl
06-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Neither a "fan" or a boy, he's just given me good service when I've ordered...simple
I have had (very) poor service as well, but you aren't allowed to say that here...

Captain Simian
06-24-2013, 06:05 PM
It's easy to forget how small most (all?) uke shops are in the days of Amazon Prime... All of which I am aware are small businesses, the largest has less than 15 employees, and most have 2-5. Is it possible to have bad service at a shop with a good reputation? Yes. However, please remember that you are dealing with small businesses here, not huge corporations with robots and 2 day delivery.

Just my :2cents:

Not asking for any special, out of the way service, just shoot me an e-mail that says, "Order has shipped, let us know if there are any problems." Big or small business, keeping your customer in the loop is a good thing.

Captain Simian
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
I know that they were on vacation a week ago. That could explain the delay. It is a two person business.

That's understandable but why not post a note on their website stating that?

Paul December
06-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Neither a "fan" or a boy, he's just given me good service when I've ordered...simple

I judge "good service" on how a *problem* is handled when it arises. Problems happen, I understand that...
...look how HMS took care of the cracked Koalana problem, or how Mim did with the bad batch of Eleuke Peanuts. IMO those are examples of excellent service, and that is why they are the first two vendors I check when buying ukes. My experience with UkeRepublic was the exact opposite.

mm stan
06-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Not a fan boy either....I'm a middle age old man...LOL :) these days everybody expects things so fast, maybe I'm way older than you and more patient....
I've always had great service from Mike and it has been a pleasure to do business with him...I can't understand why you would say this on a public forum...
To me buying a uke from a business or private owner, it does not matter...I do not mind waiting, 10 days is not unreasonable to me....Hell I've had packages
come by boat take as long as 5-6 weeks....

Captain Simian
06-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I do not mind waiting, 10 days is not unreasonable to me....Hell I've had packages

I don't mind waiting either just keep me in the loop. I don't believe what I'm asking for is out of the ordinary.

cletus
06-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Well spoken.:old:

Lime
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Not a fan boy either....I'm a middle age old man...LOL :) these days everybody expects things so fast, maybe I'm way older than you and more patient....
I've always had great service from Mike and it has been a pleasure to do business with him...I can't understand why you would say this on a public forum...
To me buying a uke from a business or private owner, it does not matter...I do not mind waiting, 10 days is not unreasonable to me....Hell I've had packages
I'm not old (I don't think 27 counts as old :p), but I also will wait long time for things I order. I've ordered things from overseas and it's taken 3 months to get here, and I'll wait it happily if it's the thing I want. I also have a US post office box that I check once a month or so. I could pay extra shipping to get things to my house, but I don't mind waiting. I could go to the store and get a different version of it, but I'd rather wait and get the thing I want.

That being said, when I order something, I do like to be told something more than just "we got your money, thanks." In fact, I ordered a guitar case and book from Empire Music last week and all I knew was that they charged my credit card; they didn't send me an email or anything to tell me that they had gotten my order, or that they shipped it. I was going to email them today, actually, but the package showed up this morning. So, it turned out fine, but when you don't know what's going on with your order, it is annoying.

bborzell
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
And the reality is that some folks have had excellent service from this vendor and some have not. That doesn't mean that those who have had good service and choose to so state are "fanboys" which is probably one of the most demeaning descriptions of an individual that can be levied in an online forum.

People who sing the praises of vendors from whom they had had good experiences are not necessarily mindless automatons. Yes, there are people who argue to the death in favor of positions that are not reasonably supported by facts, but I seriously doubt that many of the folks here who have positive things to say about Uke Republic fit that description.

I do agree that, if the OP is truely dissatisfied with the service from this vendor, then the best option is to move on to another vendor. I am not sure that there is much to be gained by raising an issue that typically attracts responses from both ends of the spectrum. There are certainly sham operations that should be outed, but Uke Republic is not one of them.

kvehe
06-24-2013, 06:48 PM
And the reality is that some folks have had excellent service from this vendor and some have not. That doesn't mean that those who have had good service and choose to so state are "fanboys" which is probably one of the most demeaning descriptions of an individual that can be levied in an online forum. People who sing the praises of vendors from whom they had had good experiences are not necessarily mindless automatons. Yes, there are people who argue to the death in favor of positions that are not reasonably supported by facts, but I seriously doubt that many of the folks here who have positive things to say about Uke Republic fit that description.

I do agree that, if the OP is truely dissatisfied with the service from this vendor, then the best option is to move on to another vendor.

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself, especially considering how annoyed/irritated I am right now.

Lime
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM
And the reality is that some folks have had excellent service from this vendor and some have not. That doesn't mean that those who have had good service and choose to so state are "fanboys" which is probably one of the most demeaning descriptions of an individual that can be levied in an online forum. People who sing the praises of vendors from whom they had had good experiences are not necessarily mindless automatons. Yes, there are people who argue to the death in favor of positions that are not reasonably supported by facts, but I seriously doubt that many of the folks here who have positive things to say about Uke Republic fit that description.

I do agree that, if the OP is truely dissatisfied with the service from this vendor, then the best option is to move on to another vendor.
I agree, and that's the point of posting your experiences in a public forum. It's to see a trend. Are more people satisfied or dissatisfied? Based on the small number of examples in this thread (which isn't conclusive), it seems like the quality of service isn't consistent.

rubber necker
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Another complaint,
I rarely come on the the Ukulele Underground but when I do I can not believe how much complaining there is.
the Ukulele is a beautiful,fun instrument to play,makes many people,families happy

the Ukulele Underground is a dysfunctional family,i will no longer be associated with it!

mds725
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
And the reality is that some folks have had excellent service from this vendor and some have not. That doesn't mean that those who have had good service and choose to so state are "fanboys" which is probably one of the most demeaning descriptions of an individual that can be levied in an online forum.

People who sing the praises of vendors from whom they had had good experiences are not necessarily mindless automatons. Yes, there are people who argue to the death in favor of positions that are not reasonably supported by facts, but I seriously doubt that many of the folks here who have positive things to say about Uke Republic fit that description.

I do agree that, if the OP is truely dissatisfied with the service from this vendor, then the best option is to move on to another vendor. I am not sure that there is much to be gained by raising an issue that typically attracts responses from both ends of the spectrum. There are certainly sham operations that should be outed, but Uke Republic is not one of them.

Thank you for saying this. The only thing I'd add is that if you're dissatisfied with something a vendor does, maybe the first response ought to be to tell the vendor in a less public way that you're dissatisfied and why. The OP said that UR provided an "excuse," which is something of a loaded term, but we weren't privy to that communication and it's impossible to know how much of the characterization of UR's response as an "excuse" is the OP's spin. Maybe UR ought to be using ordering software that has better notification protocols, but I think the important thing is whether people get what they paid for and whether the seller is willing to do something if the buyer feels he or she hasn't gotten what he or she paid for.

Another complaint,
I rarely come on the the Ukulele Underground but when I do I can not believe how much complaining there is.
the Ukulele is a beautiful,fun instrument to play,makes many people,families happy

the Ukulele Underground is a dysfunctional family,i will no longer be associated with it!

Oh, the irony!

mm stan
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I am quite disappointed.. this seems to be happening alot now, many old timers are deciding to leave now...no doubt UU has evolved and new influx of new members which has made UU quite a bigger family....I have been here only a few years and many have told me they are leaving for this same reason...UU used to be a smaller family and members knew each other and were more polite and respected each others opinions...we had forum ettiquette at it's best before, sadly things have slipped...everytime I hear someone who is sick and tired of the negative babble and the posturing here and then decides to leave..the ukulele is supposed to be fun, and us ukers too...where has the aloha gone.....we lost many ukers who had the passion for this forum and the ukes drop out...I've lost alot of good friends who used this forum to get valuable ukulele info with great questions and great answers and have who enjoyed it here.....I certainly hope this is a valuable lesson and we can revert back to the Old UU forums and where we all can respected others...

hawaii 50
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
I am quite disappointed.. this seems to be happening alot now, many old timers are deciding to leave now...no doubt UU has evolved and new influx of new members which has made UU quite a bigger family....I have been here only a few years and many have told me they are leaving for this same reason...UU used to be a smaller family and members knew each other and were more polite and respected each others opinions...we had forum ettiquette at it's best before, sadly things have slipped...everytime I hear someone who is sick and tired of the negative babble and the posturing here and then decides to leave..the ukulele is supposed to be fun, and us ukers too...where has the aloha gone.....we lost many ukers who had the passion for this forum and the ukes drop out...I've lost alot of good friends who used this forum to get valuable ukulele info with great questions and great answers and have enjoyed it here.....I certainly hope this is a valuable lesson and we can revert back to the Old UU forums and where we all respect others...

I agree Stan..
nice well thought out words but all going to waste IMO
the Ukulele is supposed to be a fun instrument,but on the UU it is mine better than yours..i am smarter than you..etc no Aloha here anymore..
not to much fun if you ask me..

my 2 cents

1badchef
06-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I agree Stan..
nice well thought out words but all going to waste IMO
the Ukulele is supposed to be a fun instrument,but on the UU it is mine better than yours..i am smarter than you..etc no Aloha here anymore..
not to much fun if you ask me..

my 2 cents

I am new on here and quite startled at the negative group dynamic where tuning forks get sharpened if you beg to differ - maybe a complete ban of any complaining about companies/manufacturers or compulsory ukulele playing could help? or maybe a "douche" section where all the angry old men can battle it out together?

consitter
06-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I am quite disappointed.. this seems to be happening alot now, many old timers are deciding to leave now...no doubt UU has evolved and new influx of new members which has made UU quite a bigger family....I have been here only a few years and many have told me they are leaving for this same reason...UU used to be a smaller family and members knew each other and were more polite and respected each others opinions...we had forum ettiquette at it's best before, sadly things have slipped...everytime I hear someone who is sick and tired of the negative babble and the posturing here and then decides to leave..the ukulele is supposed to be fun, and us ukers too...where has the aloha gone.....we lost many ukers who had the passion for this forum and the ukes drop out...I've lost alot of good friends who used this forum to get valuable ukulele info with great questions and great answers and have who enjoyed it here.....I certainly hope this is a valuable lesson and we can revert back to the Old UU forums and where we all can respected others...

For the most part, I choose to ignore the nay-sayers and pay attention to the fun stuff. The "Old UU" is still out there, but it is sandwiched between some stuff that's not so positive. For me, it's kinda like when I order a cheeseburger. I don't like pickles. So if the cheeseburger has pickles on it, I simply take them off. I don't get mad at them or disappointed by them. I take them off and ignore them. Are they gone? Nope. But, I don't taste them on the sandwich, so I don't care. I'm not gonna throw away the whole burger over a couple of pickles, just like I'm not gonna leave this forum because there are a few buttholes out there.

This forum means too much to me for that. It has become part of my heart and soul. It is still fun for me. The things I don't like, I simply choose to ignore. Simple as that. I've made way too many friends here to just go away over a few offensive folks.

consitter
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
I am new on here and quite startled at the negative group dynamic where tuning forks get sharpened if you beg to differ - maybe a complete ban of any complaining about companies/manufacturers or compulsory ukulele playing could help? or maybe a "douche" section where all the angry old men can battle it out together?

Choose to read other places if you are offended. Have you ever been to the "Seasons" threads? This is what it's all about. Not that people haven't got offended there, because they have. But, making music is what ukeing is. A lot of the other stuff is just fluff.

Just remember, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Lime
06-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Hm... I might be too new to understand this dynamic but I don't know how this went from a post about an unsatisfactory business transaction to old vs new forum members. I have no feelings either way about Ukulele Republic or people who like them, so maybe I was just clueless about it being a source of sensitivity.

I've been the old member of other forums and people inevitably become alienated when new members come and it's no longer the tight-knit community it was when it was just the original couple dozen members. I don't know what to say, I guess I feel kind of bad, being a new member and all, but I've found this forum really helpful and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

1badchef
06-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Choose to read other places if you are offended. Have you ever been to the "Seasons" threads? This is what it's all about. Not that people haven't got offended there, because they have. But, making music is what ukeing is. A lot of the other stuff is just fluff.

Just remember, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Love your approach - and I am off to "Seasons"

Sparkle
06-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Nothing good comes of banning discussion. It simply makes a board look like a place who's recommendations are meaningless because no one would dare say that they don't recommend a particular service. Word of mouth is functionally a part of how a capitalist market operates. The fear that this complaining will put someone out of business rarely comes to pass unless the company is particularly badly behaved.

That said, it strikes me as strange that a long thread about CR infringement is okay--something that can get genuinely bad for a manufacturer's reputation--is a-okay here, but a conversation about customer service is in bad form.

That's not a particularly inviting forum either. I certainly don't want to feel that I can't post things because I haven't been here long enough to post them.

Lime
06-24-2013, 10:03 PM
maybe a "douche" section where all the angry old men can battle it out together?
I though the old men were the peaceful ones and the others were the problem. ;)

Lime
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Nothing good comes of banning discussion. It simply makes a board look like a place who's recommendations are meaningless because no one would dare say that they don't recommend a particular service. Word of mouth is functionally a part of how a capitalist market operates. The fear that this complaining will put someone out of business rarely comes to pass unless the company is particularly badly behaved.

That said, it strikes me as strange that a long thread about CR infringement is okay--something that can get genuinely bad for a manufacturer's reputation--is a-okay here, but a conversation about customer service is in bad form.

That's not a particularly inviting forum either. I certainly don't want to feel that I can't post things because I haven't been here long enough to post them.
I thought the comments about how you're not allowed to criticize UR were tongue-in-cheek. Is that for real? 'Cause newbies can't be expected to know things like that.

Hippie Dribble
06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey gang, a few thoughts...

1. To those who say the spirit of aloha is no longer to be found on this forum, you are wrong. There are many beautiful acts of friendship and kindness that take place on these boards everyday and are shared between members, often through PM's and therefore not always public. I can name a dozen within this past month that would startle you. Let me reassure you all, the spirit of aloha is very much alive on the UU.

People are people and on a world-wide forum there will always be some folks whose views and attitude you dislike. I would like to remind everyone that each member has an 'ignore' function in their settings which can be used at anytime, and which are a simple way one can avoid conflict. PM me if you don't understand how this works.

2. In life we are constantly faced with choices. There are always two roads to take, the high and the low. Often the low road seems quickest and easiest and offers immediate gratification. The higher is often more difficult and requires patience and humility. A PM could have been a legitimate option for the OP here. I have no opinion to express about the vendor, though a public chastisement is always going to be divisive and inflammatory. One needs to think very carefully about posts such as this before going public.

3. I am tempted to close this thread down but am loathe to do so on the basis that the vendor in question has not yet had the right of reply. I am going to leave it open until such time as he has done so or made it clear he does not want to post on this thread. Also, sometimes it is a good thing that if people need to get stuff off their chest, that they have the opportunity to do so.

In the meantime I would ask that those who would like to bag the forum and it's membership to remember that this is a free space provided by Aldrine, Ryan and Aaron, and which has provided an incredible amount of learning, advice, fun, information and created life-long friendships around the world between it's members for years. That will not change. The best way to instil a spirit of aloha is to actively live it out yourself, and show it through the comments you make here.

Cheers and blessings all

jon

mds725
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
For the most part, I choose to ignore the nay-sayers and pay attention to the fun stuff. The "Old UU" is still out there, but it is sandwiched between some stuff that's not so positive. For me, it's kinda like when I order a cheeseburger. I don't like pickles. So if the cheeseburger has pickles on it, I simply take them off. I don't get mad at them or disappointed by them. I take them off and ignore them. Are they gone? Nope. But, I don't taste them on the sandwich, so I don't care. I'm not gonna throw away the whole burger over a couple of pickles, just like I'm not gonna leave this forum because there are a few buttholes out there.

This forum means too much to me for that. It has become part of my heart and soul. It is still fun for me. The things I don't like, I simply choose to ignore. Simple as that. I've made way too many friends here to just go away over a few offensive folks.

Getting back for a moment to the point of how one might measure customer service, if I order a sandwich without mayonnaise and it comes with mayonnaise, I ask the person I bought it from to make me another because there's really no way to remove mayonnaise from a sandwich. Mistakes happen, and I won't decide that a sandwich maker is incompetent on the basis of one mistake. If that person apologizes and makes me another sandwich, I consider that to be good customer service. If that person gives me grief, or attempts to solve the problem in a way that doesn't get rid of all the mayonnaise (i.e., by just replacing the bread), I consider that to be bad customer service. If that person *repeatedly* ignores my request for no mayonnaise, I stop shopping there. In this instance, it appears that the OP ended up with the sandwich he ordered but was unhappy with some element of the service, although I can't tell from the post whether the way UR handled the OP's complaint was reasonable or not. I'd say that if the OP needs an email stating that his item has been shipped and UR repeatedly fails to provide one, then UR is not the right place for him. Not everyone needs an email confirming shipping, so I wouldn't say that the failure to confirm shipping by email is necessarily a customer service flaw.

mds725
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Hey gang, a few thoughts...

1. To those who say the spirit of aloha is no longer to be found on this forum, you are wrong. There are many beautiful acts of friendship and kindness that take place on these boards everyday and are shared between members, often through PM's and therefore not always public. I can name a dozen within this past month that would startle you. Let me reassure you all, the spirit of aloha is very much alive on the UU.

People are people and on a world-wide forum there will always be some folks whose views and attitude you dislike. I would like to remind everyone that each member has an 'ignore' function in their settings which can be used at anytime, and which are a simple way one can avoid conflict. PM me if you don't understand how this works.

2. In life we are constantly faced with choices. There are always two roads to take, the high and the low. Often the low road seems quickest and easiest and offers immediate gratification. The higher is often more difficult and requires patience and humility. A PM could have been a legitimate option for the OP here. I have no opinion to express about the vendor, though a public chastisement is always going to be divisive and inflammatory. One needs to think very carefully about posts such as this before going public.

3. I am tempted to close this thread down but am loathe to do so on the basis that the vendor in question has not yet had the right of reply. I am going to leave it open until such time as he has done so or made it clear he does not want to post on this thread. Also, sometimes it is a good thing that if people need to get stuff off their chest, that they have the opportunity to do so.

In the meantime I would ask that those who would like to bag the forum and it's membership to remember that this is a free space provided by Aldrine, Ryan and Aaron, and which has provided an incredible amount of learning, advice, fun, information and created life-long friendships around the world between it's members for years. That will not change. The best way to instil a spirit of aloha is to actively live it out yourself, and show it through the comments you make here.

Cheers and blessings all

jon

I love how you're one of the intelligent voices of reason here at UU. Thank you for saying this.

mm stan
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
i am new on here and quite startled at the negative group dynamic where tuning forks get sharpened if you beg to differ - maybe a complete ban of any complaining about companies/manufacturers or compulsory ukulele playing could help? Or maybe a "douche" section where all the angry old men can battle it out together?

nice name calling now.....grow up mate.... Hey are you a troublemaker or Perhaps the Mods need to have to watch you....yeah go off to the seasons then...

AndrewKuker
06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Aw man, I gotta say, I have sympathy for the seller here. We have 9 full timers that all care a lot and still manage to screw up. It just dawned on me at around dinner time today that I shipped out some UPT tuners without their ferrules. It came to me in a flash. omg, I'm dumb.

This kind of stuff isn't feel good UU, exuding aloha, but it is what it is. Negative feedback can be your best insight as a business. There is a positive aspect.

Saying UU has no Aloha is really offensive to me though. It's like saying Hawaii has no Aloha because there's drugs and crime. Aloha is something that you should have. Something you bring to the table. It's a compassion and kindness reflected in your actions.

Mattyukaholic
06-25-2013, 12:35 AM
This was a sad thread to read.

However, I'm a newbie and I'd like to add some positivity. I've not been on here long but I have found it to be a very good and positive experience. I have learned SO MANY new things about the ukulele and playing it, despite having already played a few years. Every PM conversation I have had with individuals has been really warm hearted and nice. Any forum has a bit of disagreement in my experience, but my overwhelming experience of UU has been very good.

And just for my two pennies (I am British! :)) my experience with Mike at Uke Republic has been very very good. He's talked me through options, been patient as I change my mind, and offered me really good deals on ukuleles and shipping to the UK (that have worked out better value than buying from UK/Europe). I'm a very satisfied customer.

Matt

consitter
06-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Aw man, I gotta say, I have sympathy for the seller here. We have 9 full timers that all care a lot and still manage to screw up. It just dawned on me at around dinner time today that I shipped out some UPT tuners without their ferrules. It came to me in a flash. omg, I'm dumb.

This kind of stuff isn't feel good UU, exuding aloha, but it is what it is. Negative feedback can be your best insight as a business. There is a positive aspect.

Saying UU has no Aloha is really offensive to me though. It's like saying Hawaii has no Aloha because there's drugs and crime. Aloha is something that you should have. Something you bring to the table. It's a compassion and kindness reflected in your actions.

I agree wholeheartedly. Even though I've been known to get angry (anger and even angry words sometimes have their places), I try my best to keep it out of the open forum. PM's emails and phone calls are the best places for those to be used, if they are used at all.

Then we get to Aloha. At it's deepest level it is so much more than a greeting. It's the presence of breath. It was used ages ago in it's greeting to mean "I share breath with you". A truly personal and deep meaning between people.

And family presence...it's still here, people. Sometimes you've just gotta look a little deeper, but it's always there. UU is an awesome place to learn, to congregate, and to feel all things good, especially when it comes to the ukulele.

As far as businesses go, I don't have anything negative to say about any of them. Andrew may have me fooled, but he seems like an incredibly nice guy that genuinely likes his customers. I've met Mike from Uke Republic at UWC, and although I've never bought anything from him, I wouldn't care a bit to do business with him. And then there's Ms Mim. She's absolutely the embodiment of Aloha, and everything else that's good.

Again, I've never done business with any of the above folks, BUT, I wouldn't hesitate if the need came up. It all boils down to this...if you have a negative experience with someone, try to hash it out with them first before you bring it here. They are all human, and screw up sometimes. But, they all make good on their screw ups. At least that's what I've seen right here on this very forum from numerous members.

Remember one thing folks...Karma is a bitch...

PhilUSAFRet
06-25-2013, 01:22 AM

Called "argumentation by intimidation"....slurring those who have had wonderful service from UR in your opening volley.

coolkayaker1
06-25-2013, 01:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclTEJ1zU7Q

:);)

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled forum debate.

kvehe
06-25-2013, 01:57 AM
This would have been post # 21, if I had had the energy to tap it out on an iPhone close to midnight my time -

Over 30 years ago I belonged to a church that had an incredible diversity of membership. I was new at the time (the Lime equivalent, I guess!), and got along well with everyone I had met. One day one of the members who had been there for a while told me that there were, in fact, many little factions who fought with each other. This actually should not have been a surprise, given the aforementioned diversity and the fact that it was 1981. Anyway, apparently someone complained to the rector about how people were fighting, and how this shouldn't be happening in a church, where there should be lovingkindness and all of that, and he said that it really didn't bother him because it showed that people were engaged in the community, and cared about the community. He said he would be more concerned if everyone just showed up on Sunday morning for an hour and then left and went about their business. He said that what was going on showed him that we were, in fact, a big family - a big, messy family, perhaps - but a community of folks who cared about a common theme, but had different ways of approaching it, and yes, sometimes people went a little bit over the top. I've thought about that a lot in the last 30 years, and have seen it play out at work, in other groups I belong to, and, yes, here, over the last 16 months. And no, I am not trying to start a religion thread here!!!!!!:D

strumsilly
06-25-2013, 01:59 AM
got this from wiki:
someone can be said to have or show aloha in the way they treat others; whether family, friend, neighbor or stranger"
remember the "golden rule" and
read my signature, 'nuff said

23skidoo
06-25-2013, 03:17 AM
A few years ago, I decided to order an ukulele for my daughter. I knew nothing about them and, based on a recommendation from a friend, ordered a particular Kala model on eBay. My credit card was charged. After about a week, I'd heard nothing. I tried contacting the seller through eBay a few times to no avail. I tried calling and left several messages but never heard back. So I left a negative eBay rating complaining about the seller and his lack of communication.

Then I took 10 seconds to google the seller's name. That's how I discovered the forums here at Ukulele Underground. I found a thread here dedicated to MusicGuyMike, the eBay seller in question, with literally hundreds of people wishing him a quick recovery from serious illness. The thread described a combination of sickness, problems with his eBay store (he couldn't view or respond to messages if I remember correctly), as well as problems with his internet and phone service. All of these bad things happened to him at once (and ended up with him closing his eBay store after years of excellent service) but the thing that seemed to trouble him the most was the handful of negative ratings for his business. He wasn't able to fulfill his obligations in a timely manner and it was tearing him up, making his illness that much worse.

Needless to say, I felt like an a$$hole. I registered for UU in order to post an apology in the hopes that Mike would see it.

My daughter's ukulele showed up a week later, just as described. As a guitar player, I was hoping it would help me show her the basics and get her started learning guitar. It quickly became my ukulele and I haven't looked back.

This experience served to remind my that the real world is not Amazon Prime, with impersonal two-day shipping and cheap, efficient service. The real world - or at least the world I'd like to live in - is made up of human beings with lives and realities of their own and is not always perfect. Technology has opened the wider world up to each of us, but it has also conditioned us to interact with this wider world through a little screen and a keyboard, forgetting that there are actual human beings on the other end of the line. Getting that first ukulele introduced me to this forum - and the world of the ukulele in general - where I've found some of the best people I know. Between attending a few UWC's, hanging out with our local ukulele group, sharing videos with fellow UU'ers, and participating in the Seasons, I've had some of the best fun of my adult life and made some great friends, in both the real and virtual worlds. More than anything, though, I'm grateful to this little instrument for reminding me that the technology-driven consumer culture we've allowed ourselves to evolve into isn't the way things are necessarily supposed to be, at least not for me. The human connection lacking in that culture is what friendship, music, and life in general is really about.

ricdoug
06-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Plenty of aloha in this forum. I just now checked and there are 86948 members on the Ukulele Underground:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/memberlist.php?page=2899&order=asc&sort=username

I have to believe that I'm just one, of many, that enjoy the Ukulele Underground. Ric

kirbo
06-25-2013, 03:48 AM
A few years ago, I decided to order an ukulele for my daughter. I knew nothing about them and, based on a recommendation from a friend, ordered a particular Kala model on eBay. My credit card was charged. After about a week, I'd heard nothing. I tried contacting the seller through eBay a few times to no avail. I tried calling and left several messages but never heard back. So I left a negative eBay rating complaining about the seller and his lack of communication.

Then I took 10 seconds to google the seller's name. That's how I discovered the forums here at Ukulele Underground. I found a thread here dedicated to MusicGuyMike, the eBay seller in question, with literally hundreds of people wishing him a quick recovery from serious illness. The thread described a combination of sickness, problems with his eBay store (he couldn't view or respond to messages if I remember correctly), as well as problems with his internet and phone service. All of these bad things happened to him at once (and ended up with him closing his eBay store after years of excellent service) but the thing that seemed to trouble him the most was the handful of negative ratings for his business. He wasn't able to fulfill his obligations in a timely manner and it was tearing him up, making his illness that much worse.

Needless to say, I felt like an a$$hole. I registered for UU in order to post an apology in the hopes that Mike would see it.

My daughter's ukulele showed up a week later, just as described. As a guitar player, I was hoping it would help me show her the basics and get her started learning guitar. It quickly became my ukulele and I haven't looked back.

This experience served to remind my that the real world is not Amazon Prime, with impersonal two-day shipping and cheap, efficient service. The real world - or at least the world I'd like to live in - is made up of human beings with lives and realities of their own and is not always perfect. Technology has opened the wider world up to each of us, but it has also conditioned us to interact with this wider world through a little screen and a keyboard, forgetting that there are actual human beings on the other end of the line. Getting that first ukulele introduced me to this forum - and the world of the ukulele in general - where I've found some of the best people I know. Between attending a few UWC's, hanging out with our local ukulele group, sharing videos with fellow UU'ers, and participating in the Seasons, I've had some of the best fun of my adult life and made some great friends, in both the real and virtual worlds. More than anything, though, I'm grateful to this little instrument for reminding me that the technology-driven consumer culture we've allowed ourselves to evolve into isn't the way things are necessarily supposed to be, at least not for me. The human connection lacking in that culture is what friendship, music, and life in general is really about.

(Slow Clap)

vanflynn
06-25-2013, 03:48 AM
As far as the OP, my one experience with UR was quite favorable and I would recommend it to someone looking for a uke. Sorry you are having bad experiences.

As far as the tangent discussion, things ebb and flow and I’ve noticed most “flamers” burn out fairly quickly and disappear. I have found myself not participating in as much discussion because of some of the overtones. This will change and until then I am happy just to welcome newbies and help them pick the “best uke under $100.00”

hoosierhiver
06-25-2013, 03:54 AM

I really wish you guys would move into that house next to the UWC field.

WhenDogsSing
06-25-2013, 04:08 AM
I have had several transactions with Mike at UkeRepublic and have always received excellent service. I would not hesitate to buy another instrument from Mike.

Lime
06-25-2013, 04:10 AM
As far as the tangent discussion, things ebb and flow and I’ve noticed most “flamers” burn out fairly quickly and disappear. I have found myself not participating in as much discussion because of some of the overtones.
I feel so clueless. I haven't seen any flamers and I have no idea what overtones you're talking about... with the exception of this thread, everything seems fine to me.

But this actually happens to me over at a forum of which I'm a founding member, too. People will talk about "all the fighting that's going on", and I'm like... what? Then people have to point out the rude comments to me. I read the threads and don't remember the rude comments. Chalk it up to selective memory, I guess.

Sparkle
06-25-2013, 04:12 AM
I read the threads and don't remember the rude comments. Chalk it up to selective memory, I guess.

Lucky you. :-) It probably makes internet-ting much easier going.

dkcrown
06-25-2013, 04:16 AM

Very well said. I wish to add you to the list of people from the UU that I would like to meet someday. You obviously "Get it". Life is good, and it is way too short.

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 04:20 AM

I agree Stan and we Mods try to do what we can to keep the Aloha Spirt alive... But alas too many people don't follow the rules (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?14-Ukulele-Underground-Rules) and especially the Golden Rule... I myself will try to be more diligent about pointing this out...

The main thing here is that from the beginning of the thread this rule:

1.2 Keep criticism constructive and tactful.

Was not followed... I am continuing to read this thread from Stan's post... If it goes more downhill from here I will close the thread.

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 04:23 AM

It's not that discussion is banned, it's that when discussions are made on an open forum rather than face to face people have no issue bashing one side or the other. Common courtesy goes a long way and all members need to remember that...

pootsie
06-25-2013, 04:23 AM

Reading THAT made it worth wading through the rest of this thread.

Thanks, Mr. Skidoo!

kkimura
06-25-2013, 04:25 AM
I see a lot of people browsing this thread. It reminds me of how a family gathers together in concern to solve or make something better. I got to believe that the OP's intent was not to cause harm but to express frustration which we all get from time to time. That so many are here commenting underscores to me how UU differs from some of the more aggressive forums on the web.
The general tone in this thread seems positive and so maintains the aloha spirit.

pootsie
06-25-2013, 04:26 AM
I feel so clueless. I haven't seen any flamers and I have no idea what overtones you're talking about... with the exception of this thread, everything seems fine to me.

But this actually happens to me over at a forum of which I'm a founding member, too. People will talk about "all the fighting that's going on", and I'm like... what? Then people have to point out the rude comments to me. I read the threads and don't remember the rude comments. Chalk it up to selective memory, I guess.

You know, I have been on a lot of forums online. This is hands down the friendliest one I've ever been on. I'm currently active on a forum for a medical treatment, a place you think would be the most supportive of all, but it ain't. This forum has high standards for good conduct so slight indiscretions seem glaring.

But compared to the cesspool that is the rest of the intarwebs, this place is an oasis of love. I let the negatives slide.

GaryC1968
06-25-2013, 04:28 AM

Any time a discussion about customer service comes up, this post should be referenced! Very well said, Bill.

greenie44
06-25-2013, 04:30 AM
I though the old men were the peaceful ones and the others were the problem. ;)

The old men íround here, sometimes they get
On bad terms with the younger men
But old, young, age donít carry weight
It doesnít matter in the end

From Floater by Bob Dylan, for which I just worked out a uke arrangement.

Put me in the group who think it isn't bad around here. The occasional spat, but you should check out the Springsteen boards if you want to see real dysfunctional.

A number of members have been very kind to me, both on forums and in personal messages. Some have been less welcoming, but I figure a few new friends is a plus.

coolkayaker1
06-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Appropriate to alert UU'ers to good and bad experiences with any retailer.

Only posts #2 and #7 and #36 have anything constructive to assist original poster.

Just my observation.

23skidoo
06-25-2013, 04:46 AM
I really wish you guys would move into that house next to the UWC field.

It's been discussed more than once, Mike. Man, I can't tell you how tempting it is.....

Very well said. I wish to add you to the list of people from the UU that I would like to meet someday. You obviously "Get it". Life is good, and it is way too short.

See you next year at UWC :D

Reading THAT made it worth wading through the rest of this thread.

Thanks, Mr. Skidoo!

Any time a discussion about customer service comes up, this post should be referenced! Very well said, Bill.

thanks poots & Gary....

I'm not saying bad customer service is acceptable or that the OP doesn't have a point. As a few folks have pointed, Mike and Donna run a two person show at Uke Republic and generally do a great job - don't think they'd have been around so long and grown the business like they have if they hadn't.

I personally have no problem with the 'no negativity' rule on UU. I know the 'all aloha, all the time' vibe is off-putting to some people, but I come here to hang out with friendly people and enjoy myself. I get enough negative crap in the 'real' world. I only have experience with two other forums - one political and one guitar-oriented - and the ego, nastiness, and general unpleasantness at those places makes UU look like Shangri-la. I'm not as active as I used to be, but the online ukulele community, here and on Facebook, is my primary form of media entertainment. This place - the moderators and members - are a virtual home away from home....

Sparkle
06-25-2013, 04:47 AM
It's not that discussion is banned, it's that when discussions are made on an open forum rather than face to face people have no issue bashing one side or the other. Common courtesy goes a long way and all members need to remember that...

When I read the comments on the threads where dust starts to fly what I see is references to a group culture that isn't necessarily in the rules. I also see that established members are given much more leeway by forum members for similar posts. As a new member, I've seen that a negative opinion from a newer member generates a dogpile reaction. I definitely would be unlikely to post anything negative on this forum due to that, but I give much more weight to negative reviews that do make it here. I figure if someone chances that response they must really believe what they say and, for most of us, that would mean they are fairly upset when they reach that point.

The urge people feel to defend certain sellers actually makes me worry more about giving them my money. I am aware that I am much less likely to find authentic and truthful reviews of a seller unless the review fits the parameters that seem to be supported here (100% supportive, enthusiastic, no major concerns). I don't think I'd personally choose to buy from someone with just a reference from UU now that I seen this dynamic at play.

ETA: I would take advice on playing and great ukes, but the 100% support is actually diminishing the power of the positivity here. It's easy to forget when you are a member of a group, but when you are not yet a real member, it's easy to observe.

PhilUSAFRet
06-25-2013, 05:01 AM
I would personally value the opinions of the 98% that have had a good experience with a seller, than one mal content or two, but you are free to choose how you spend your money.

Additionally, I have seen the "majority" get upset when someone trashes a seller with a great reputation (which they have earned) in a public forum over something relatively insignificant in the total scheme of things (compared to fraud, false advertising, selling defectiveinstruments, etc. etc.) Many, if not most of us, could have voiced the same concerns that the original poster did in a more positive and constructive manner. All sellers, now matter how great, have momentary lapses in their usual customer service, whether you have personally experienced it or not. I have seen many posts about them here and most have been handled better. "Nastiness" is never welcomed here. Wanna be nasty, go somewhere else. See comment directly below.

caukulele
06-25-2013, 05:07 AM

Very well said! Thanks for sharing.

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 05:12 AM
I see a lot of people browsing this thread. It reminds me of how a family gathers together in concern to solve or make something better. I got to believe that the OP's intent was not to cause harm but to express frustration which we all get from time to time. That so many are here commenting underscores to me how UU differs from some of the more aggressive forums on the web.
The general tone in this thread seems positive and so maintains the aloha spirit.

I agree, I was not disappointed as I continued. Thank you all for keeping it positive!

Sparkle
06-25-2013, 05:20 AM
I would personally value the opinions of the 98% that have had a good experience with a seller, than one mal content or two, but you are free to choose how you spend your money.... "Nastiness" is never welcomed here. Wanna be nasty, go somewhere else. See comment directly below.

Since you seem to be responding to me, I am not advocating for nastiness. (Thank you for implying that.) Just giving people the benefit of the doubt and a chance to express the good or bad of their experience. Rather than immediately jumping to a company's defense or worse, into blaming new users for not having enough Aloha. That happened very quickly in this thread. As an outsider, it makes for a very closed space.

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 05:22 AM
When I read the comments on the threads where dust starts to fly what I see is references to a group culture that isn't necessarily in the rules. I also see that established members are given much more leeway by forum members for similar posts. As a new member, I've seen that a negative opinion from a newer member generates a dogpile reaction. I definitely would be unlikely to post anything negative on this forum due to that, but I give much more weight to negative reviews that do make it here. I figure if someone chances that response they must really believe what they say and, for most of us, that would mean they are fairly upset when they reach that point.

The urge people feel to defend certain sellers actually makes me worry more about giving them my money. I am aware that I am much less likely to find authentic and truthful reviews of a seller unless the review fits the parameters that seem to be supported here (100% supportive, enthusiastic, no major concerns). I don't think I'd personally choose to buy from someone with just a reference from UU now that I seen this dynamic at play.

ETA: I would take advice on playing and great ukes, but the 100% support is actually diminishing the power of the positivity here. It's easy to forget when you are a member of a group, but when you are not yet a real member, it's easy to observe.

I'm not sure I am following 100% what you are saying here? Can you please explain?

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 05:27 AM
I would personally value the opinions of the 98% that have had a good experience with a seller, than one mal content or two, but you are free to choose how you spend your money.

Additionally, I have seen the "majority" get upset when someone trashes a seller with a great reputation (which they have earned) in a public forum over something relatively insignificant in the total scheme of things (compared to fraud, false advertising, selling defectiveinstruments, etc. etc.) Many, if not most of us, could have voiced the same concerns that the original poster did in a more positive and constructive manner. All sellers, now matter how great, have momentary lapses in their usual customer service, whether you have personally experienced it or not. I have seen many posts about them here and most have been handled better. "Nastiness" is never welcomed here. Wanna be nasty, go somewhere else. See comment directly below.

Thank you for posting this.

This is an excelent post, thank you for posting it!

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Since you seem to be responding to me, I am not advocating for nastiness. (Thank you for implying that.) Just giving people the benefit of the doubt and a chance to express the good or bad of their experience. Rather than immediately jumping to a company's defense or worse, into blaming new users for not having enough Aloha. That happened very quickly in this thread. As an outsider, it makes for a very closed space.

I understand what you mean, I hope the later parts of this thread have helped to change this opinion... It did get nasty pretty quickly in the early part of the thread and things were said and implied that I agree should not have. I for one welcome new members as each new member is another person carrying a Ukulele further into mainstream! :D

Lime
06-25-2013, 05:59 AM
I for one welcome new members as each new member is another person carrying a Ukulele further into mainstream! :D
Well, I'm glad someone wants new members. I was starting to wonder.

23skidoo
06-25-2013, 06:06 AM
As an outsider, it makes for a very closed space.

Sparkle -

It took me awhile to realize that this forum isn't for outsiders. It took me awhile not to be an outsider. While newcomers are welcomed with open arms, I found the lack of objective reviews troubling myself until I realized that this forum isn't about objective reviews of the established venders who are part of the UU ohana. As others have said - they've earned their reputation and the 'insiders', for the most part, have no problem ordering from them and tolerating any minor customer service inconveniences. If they provided consistently bad customer service, we'd know.

I've seen others complain that there should be more objectivity in the reviews of the venders in question (UR, Mim, HMS, Mainland, etc.). Well, there isn't and that's all there is to it. Expecting something different (which happens all the time, just as it is in this thread) isn't going to change that.

I think it all boils down to tact. If someone is looking to buy something from one of the sellers who seems to be so rabidly defended and wants to see if there are negative opinions, the best thing to do is start a thread and say 'I'm thinking of purchasing this product from this vendor. Send me a PM if you don't think I should.' The thread would probably generate the usual glowing reviews, maybe a small criticism or two, the 'circling of the wagons' defense of the vender, etc.... just like it always does. But the real criticism or objectivity happens in a PM, out of the public eye.

It took me some time to figure out this dynamic, so I thought I'd state it explicitly for the newer members. You may think this is silly and counterproductive, but that is the way things seem to operate here. Is this a negative? Does it make participating in UU any less pleasurable? I don't know.... but the pros far outweigh the cons as far as I'm concerned....

Lime
06-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Sparkle -

It took me awhile to realize that this forum isn't for outsiders. It took me awhile not to be an outsider. While newcomers are welcomed with open arms, I found the lack of objective reviews troubling myself until I realized that this forum isn't about objective reviews of the established venders who are part of the UU ohana. As others have said - they've earned their reputation and the 'insiders', for the most part, have no problem ordering from them and tolerating any minor customer service inconveniences. If they provided consistently bad customer service, we'd know.

I've seen others complain that there should be more objectivity in the reviews of the venders in question (UR, Mim, HMS, Mainland, etc.). Well, there isn't and that's all there is to it. Expecting something different (which happens all the time, just as it is in this thread) isn't going to change that.

I think it all boils down to tact. If someone is looking to buy something from one of the sellers who seems to be so rabidly defended and wants to see if there are negative opinions, the best thing to do is start a thread and say 'I'm thinking of purchasing this product from this vendor. Send me a PM if you don't think I should.' The thread would probably generate the usual glowing reviews, maybe a small criticism or two, the 'circling of the wagons' defense of the vender, etc.... just like it always does. But the real criticism or objectivity happens in a PM, out of the public eye.

It took me some time to figure out this dynamic, so I thought I'd state it explicitly for the newer members. You may think this is silly and counterproductive, but that is the way things seem to operate here. Is this a negative? Does it make participating in UU any less pleasurable? I don't know.... but the pros far outweigh the cons as far as I'm concerned....
If this is the state of things, then it's certainly more humane to just tell newcomers how it is than let them unwittingly walk into a minefield, or commit a faux pas that there's no reasonable expectation for a newcomer to be aware of. If a newcomers commits faux pas, it's more appropriate to just explain to them what's going on, rather than to get offended and dismiss all newcomers (or young people) as being nasty and bad for the forum.

haolejohn
06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
I remembering ordering from all three big dealers. No complaints. I don't remembering getting a shipping confirmation email at all. I may have but I don't remember. It doesn't bother me because I always received my items. If I didn't receive my items then I'd be concerned.

All our vendors here have exceptional customer service. Mike at UkeRepublic goes above and beyond. I have had mike meet me late at night delivering ukes for my school uke club, he has helped me set up and repair ukes that I didn't buy from him.

I just don't consider not receiving a shipping confirmation as a sign of bad customer service. Evn though it happened twice. Once I believe it could have been a faulty automated email service(might be why they don't use it anymore) and the second time was because they were on vacation. Not sure about you guys but when I go on vacation I don't do work.

The thing that bothered me about the ops complaint is that there is an illusion that his items won't come in the mail.
So I'd suggest that the op look into other vendors that do provide a shipping confirmation if it is that important. And perhaps saving public bashings for issues that actually warrant them?

PhilUSAFRet
06-25-2013, 06:37 AM

I actually was not referring to you. In all, you are assuming waaaaaaay too much. If you do come off that way, don't blame others for pointing it out.

PhilUSAFRet
06-25-2013, 06:41 AM
I've worked in some substance abuse treatment programs where the expression "shit stirring" was used when someone (or more than someone) just argued for the sake of argument so that the group would not be able to get to the work at hand. Some of that going on here I think. Lots of defensiveness, stone throwing going on too. Talk about "much ado about nothing."

haolejohn
06-25-2013, 06:44 AM
I've worked in some substance abuse treatment programs where the expression "shit stirring" was used when someone (or more than someone) just argued for the sake of argument so that the group would not be able to get to the work at hand. Some of that going on here I think. Lots of defensiveness, stone throwing going on too. Talk about "much ado about nothing."

Yes. This. Exactly this.

Dan Uke
06-25-2013, 06:47 AM
I personally don't mind this discussion as everyone is different...people have different ways to bring things up, especially with social media and online forums. Obviously, there is etiquette for each forum but not always clearly defined. Even the "Aloha Spirit" is very hard to define and defined differently from person to person.

The funny thing is the old timers have only been members for 5 years or so...that's not a long time...I consider myself an old timer and it's only been two years!! LOL

23skidoo
06-25-2013, 06:50 AM
If this is the state of things, then it's certainly more humane to just tell newcomers how it is than let them unwittingly walk into a minefield, or commit a faux pas that there's no reasonable expectation for a newcomer to be aware of. If a newcomers commits faux pas, it's more appropriate to just explain to them what's going on, rather than to get offended and dismiss all newcomers (or young people) as being nasty and bad for the forum.

I don't think anybody has been unduly rude or nasty, to newcomers or young people. I think what I described (and I'm certainly no UU authority or spokesperson) is my take on the situation - the kind of situation that arises in all sorts of social groups, on- and offline, and can't really be prescribed and outlined. I think getting to know the dynamics of any group takes time. If some folks are short with newcomers, I think it might be because there are so many - this is a fairly popular forum and people drop in and are active for a very short time and then disappear into the ether. I understand why some of the people that have been here for awhile might get their feathers ruffled, especially concerning negative discussion of their friends. But it's all good - I think if you stick around for awhile, you'll find that everyone here is really nice for the most part, even if they might come across otherwise in the words they choose.

mm stan
06-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Let me set some things straight... I think there's is alot of aloha here and alot of nice newcomers, gee things can surely get twisted around here and put on a spin....Generally all of the
members here are real nice, but unfortunately we have a couple new rogue ones testing the waters....they continue to make their case even though they don't have one....makes me wonder
about them and how stable they are...Actually I am glad this came out so we can resolve this issue...We've lost many many good old timer members because the words of a few....
And since you brought up Old timers....We are just trying to keep the peace here and Keep UU the best place to be ....follow the golden rule.....

coolkayaker1
06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
I put some Aquilas, which is the string I started with on my first uke, on one of my ukes last week. I had this attitude that I had "outgrown" them, that others strings are better.

Well, guess what: I like Aquilas again! They feel good, not too slippery, and sound fantastic.

silveraven
06-25-2013, 07:01 AM

It just makes newbies aka "outsiders" a bit apprehensive about posting, and with less posts on the forum, it's less likely to endear themselves to the established members aka "insiders". It's a vicious cycle. :(

Anyway, I've never ordered from Uke Republic, but back when I was trying to decide what uke to buy and from which store, my emails to them were replied promptly. I like prompt replies.

And on the subject of shipping confirmation, I think it's very important, even more so when one is ordering from a faraway place. There's probably a reasonable excuse from UR for the lack of this service (i.e. faulty automated service, being away on vacation) but unless we're privy to the email correspondence between the OP and UR, we shouldn't be too quick to judge either side. That said, I hope Mike will respond to this thread to clarify things. There's an uke I'm interested in from this store and if I were to place an order, I'll definitely want updates on the order process and shipping! :)

Lime
06-25-2013, 07:03 AM
I don't think anybody has been unduly rude or nasty, to newcomers or young people. I think what I described (and I'm certainly no UU authority or spokesperson) is my take on the situation - the kind of situation that arises in all sorts of social groups, on- and offline, and can't really be prescribed and outlined. I think getting to know the dynamics of any group takes time. If some folks are short with newcomers, I think it might be because there are so many - this is a fairly popular forum and people drop in and are active for a very short time and then disappear into the ether. I understand why some of the people that have been here for awhile might get their feathers ruffled, especially concerning negative discussion of their friends. But it's all good - I think if you stick around for awhile, you'll find that everyone here is really nice for the most part, even if they might come across otherwise in the words they choose.
Mostly just referring to the comments like "Gee, wasn't it nice back before there were newbies." No one's been rude to me, I just can't help but feel a little disheartened by the idea that I'm not actually wanted here, since I like it here. But, yes, I understand, a lot of people join forums and then lose interest quickly. You'll probably just have to get used to me, though.

I'm just pointing out that what seems really rude (criticizing a well-liked vendor) to an established member, may not to a newcomer. If you're new, you have no idea it's a sensitive subject. I had no idea. It's probably better to just explain that a lot of established members have a close relationship with the people at UR and they take it personally when they're criticized. That's all it takes.

Lime
06-25-2013, 07:13 AM
a couple new rogue ones testing the waters.....
I think I might be a "new rogue" you're referring to since I'm the only new member on this thread. If so, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to prove a point; I'm genuinely just trying to figure out how the dynamic of this forum works so that I don't accidentally commit faux pas. The safest option would be to not post at all, but then I wouldn't be getting as much as I could out of my forum experience.

And yes, I'm perfectly stable. My mother had me tested.

Bill Mc
06-25-2013, 07:13 AM
I put some Aquilas, which is the string I started with on my first uke, on one of my ukes last week. I had this attitude that I had "outgrown" them, that others strings are better.

Well, guess what: I like Aquilas again! They feel good, not too slippery, and sound fantastic.

Interesting how many things come full circle in life - even like and dislike of ukulele strings !

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Mostly just referring to the comments like "Gee, wasn't it nice back before there were newbies." No one's been rude to me, I just can't help but feel a little disheartened by the idea that I'm not actually wanted here, since I like it here. But, yes, I understand, a lot of people join forums and then lose interest quickly. You'll probably just have to get used to me, though.

I'm just pointing out that what seems really rude (criticizing a well-liked vendor) to an established member, may not to a newcomer. If you're new, you have no idea it's a sensitive subject. I had no idea. It's probably better to just explain that a lot of established members have a close relationship with the people at UR and they take it personally when they're criticized. That's all it takes.

Welcome to the forum Lime. I understand your point and how you could feel the way you do. I've been a forum member since the beginning and I'm often hesitant to tread in some of these waters. Generally I think you'll feel pretty comfortable and welcome here. (But pack some Dramamine just in case!)

erivel

That's what I'm talkin' about Steve!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Welcome to the forum Lime. I understand your point and how you could feel the way you do. I've been a forum member since the beginning and I'm often hesitant to tread in some of these waters. Generally I think you'll feel pretty comfortable and welcome here. (But pack some Dramamine just in case!)

Paul December
06-25-2013, 07:17 AM

I went to pick up milk for my coffee the other day. Normally I get 2%, but since it was sold out I bought 1%. Turned out to be very watery.

silveraven
06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i55/5/9/29/frabz-Im-not-insane-my-mother-had-me-tested-3dac25.jpg

:p Can't help it, I love Big Bang Theory!

Nah, you're not the only new one. I'm pretty fresh too. Just...not so vocal. :)

OldePhart
06-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't think we should "bury" folks who report a less-than-satisfactory experience. On the other hand, I don't think folks should be so quick to rush to the forums to dump on a vendor over a couple of complaints that are frankly pretty minor. That's getting too much like guitar forums... :)

I think you should try to resolve the problem with the vendor first, and only resort to bashing them in the forums if you aren't getting results - i.e. are getting ripped off. Something like not getting a shipping notice is hardly something to complain about, in my opinion - but, if it bothers you then simply take your business somewhere where you get your shipping notices.

I think too many people neither know nor care much about how much damage they might be doing to a tiny business over something frankly frivolous. We're not talking about Amazon.com or Musician's Friend, here, we're talking about a guy who took his love of ukes to the extent of sticking his neck out so far as to create a bricks'n'mortar store in a city that isn't exactly a hotbed of uke activity.

If one was ripped off by someone who charged and never shipped, or shipped junk and wouldn't make it right, etc. that's one thing and I'd say that airing the situation in the forums after not getting satisfaction from the vendor would be appropriate. But to snark because one didn't get one's belly rubbed sufficiently is a little extreme, IMO.

My guess is that the PO is pretty young - otherwise he'd realize that "instant shipment notifications" are a pretty darned recent innovation and just really aren't something to get stuffy about. Back in the "good old days" you got a print catalog, hoped that the items listed in it were still in stock, sent off your check or money order, and anywhere from a few days to a few weeks later you either got your item or didn't - no shipping notification at all. LOL

John

Uke Republic
06-25-2013, 07:24 AM
First I wish to apologize if we acted in anyway with sub-satisfactory customer service. We really do pride ourselves in meeting or exceeding a customers experience.What day and time was your order submitted.
Our goal is to to ship in 1-5 business days http://www.ukerepublic.com/order--shipping-info.html
We have been closed for a family vacation as posted on our site http://www.ukerepublic.com/hours--calendar.html
We really appreciate your business and hope you do business with us again. Every order is important to us , small or large. We want you to be satisfied. If you like feel free to contact me - mikem@ukerepublic.com or call 770-235-6606
Thank you again for your business

Lime
06-25-2013, 07:26 AM
http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i55/5/9/29/frabz-Im-not-insane-my-mother-had-me-tested-3dac25.jpg

:p Can't help it, I love Big Bang Theory!

Nah, you're not the only new one. I'm pretty fresh too. Just...not so vocal. :)
LOL, that's exactly what I was going for. If I had a dollar for every time someone said I reminded them of Sheldon, I'd have... I dunno, 12 bucks? Also, I think "vocal" must be some kind of euphemism, :p.

seneystretch
06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
I've now ordered twice from them and both times I received an e-mail that the received my order and then nothing confirming that my item was shipped. Both time I've had to contact them to find out what was going on with my order after waiting a few days to hear from them.

Automated reply software is quite expensive and time consuming to maintain. Amazon does this for its sellers and charges dearly. I'll vote to skip the bedside manner and have lower prices.

This phenomenon of instant and continuous feedback has happened only in the last 5 years. Even 15 years ago a catalog order just showed up 2 or 3 or 5 weeks later. Lands' End clothiers pretty much invented routine 4 day shipping in the late 70s. I think we've all gotten a bit spoiled.

I'm a repeat customer of UR. He's split shipments even when I said I'm OK with waiting for everything to be available. I'm satisfied.

If you want lack of bedside manner, order prescription eyewear through the internet. I've never had a bad fill, but there is absolutely no feedback between hitting the buy button and delivery. None.

SailingUke
06-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Every vendor will mess up an order once in a while.
To me the sign of good customer service is correcting the issue quickly and accurately.
The above post shows the willingness to resolve an issue.

OldePhart
06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Another complaint,

Sorry you feel that way but...oh, man...you don't know from dysfunctional! :)

Seriously, hope you'll stick around - this is one of the least dysfunctional forums I've been on.

mm stan
06-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I think I might be a "new rogue" you're referring to since I'm the only new member on this thread. If so, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to prove a point; I'm genuinely just trying to figure out how the dynamic of this forum works so that I don't accidentally commit faux pas. The safest option would be to not post at all, but then I wouldn't be getting as much as I could out of my forum experience.

Aloha Lime, that is my favorite color and citrus ...this is just a open discussion, I hope you don't take it the wrong way...I understand your point of view man...we are all equal here,
and I hope there is no hard feelings....Actually it not was pointed just at you.... Sorry I got heated up, I've just lost many freinds from undesirable comments made and they bowed out
hope we can be friends....With Much Aloha, Stan

UkuleleHill
06-25-2013, 07:38 AM
First I wish to apologize if we acted in anyway with sub-satisfactory customer service. We really do pride ourselves in meeting or exceeding a customers experience.What day and time was your order submitted.
Our goal is to to ship in 1-5 business days http://www.ukerepublic.com/order--shipping-info.html
We have been closed for a family vacation as posted on our site http://www.ukerepublic.com/hours--calendar.html
We really appreciate your business and hope you do business with us again. Every order is important to us , small or large. We want you to be satisfied. If you like feel free to contact me - mikem@ukerepublic.com or call 770-235-6606
Thank you again for your business

Thanks Mike.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now that UR has responded.