Humidifying in the northeast

aqualung23

Reaction score
So I live in PA, where we have some of the most extreme climate changes on earth from winter to summer. I'm wondering if you need a hard shell case in order to keep your instrument humidified, or will the hard canvas types work just as well. Just wondering cause I'm about to order a pono tenor from HMS and I actually prefer the canvas type bag cause I can put lots of stuff in it.

Last edited:
First, congrats on the Pono. I got a AC from them and really like it.

When questioning humidity I always recommend a hydrometer like
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/OGH2.htm . This will tell you when you have a problem and how much you need to humidify.
If the case you are talking about is one of the foam hard cases like http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html , it will work pretty close to the hard shell if you keep it zippered. Soft foam gig bags do work but you have to monitor it a lot more. You'll get a nice clay humidifier from HMS but if you want to make your own it's easy http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...als&highlight=water+absorb+crystal+humidifier

You should be fine in PA until you turn on your furnace. That's when you should start monitoring it.

Good luck and post some pics of the Pono when it arrives.

edit: great minds think alike Doc!

I live in PA and have a combination of cases. I've always been fine with the foam cases, never need to fill those humidifiers more then the hard cases. I do not have central air, if you do you'll need to keep a much closer eye on your hygrometer. My house rarely dips into the danger zone, except in the dead of winter with super low wind chills for extended periods of time...but each house is different.

Get the foam case, a humidifier for the headstock area, and one of those that you put on the strings in the sound hole. That way you'll be good to go no matter what PA throws at you weather wise.

Congratulations on your Pono!

A little further up here in the northeast (NH), I have the foam/canvas style cases for mine. I use the Oasis humidifiers with them and an Oasis hygrometer in the room to keep an eye on things. No issues so far. I got the humidifier/hygrometer as a combo pack on sale one time at Elderly or Musician's Friend (sorry - I don't remember which retailer) and liked it enough to buy another humidifier for my other ukelele. I have the one that sticks to the inside of the case with a magnet for the concert (I was afraid of leaks) and the sound hole one for my soprano.

I'm always a bit paranoid about humidity issues because of what my Kamaka - I saved a looong time - cost, but I'd just check these once per week and refill with distilled water as needed.

Hope this helps!
Matt

I'm in ipstate NY. No central heat/ac but humidity drops to 10-12% in the winter. I made my own humidifiers, keep the ukes in hard cases, and generally get no lower than 40% RH in the cases, checking weekly- or every time I open the cases. I only use an in-string humidifier on the waverly street, because it came with a tiny crack.

-Kurt

Thanks guys! I just got an oasis and a canvas hard case so of sounds like I'm ready for my new uke! I actually have to wait for a pending eBay transaction to clear before I have the cash for the pono, but I'm super psyched to get it. I'm going to have them put the LR baggs pickup in it too!

Top Bottom