buzzing experiences?

shake n bake

Reaction score
I just got my Islander MSS4 uke from HMS! So excited and I've been playing for the past hour.. I'll put up a review in about a week or so as I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow.

I've got an issue/question and I'd like some input from pros and noobs alike. I've gone from a non-setup Lanikai LU21C from Amazon to set-up Islander as above, but now I'm noticing that I was actually playing BETTER with the "cheaper" instrument!

More specifically, I'm getting buzzing on the E string on barre chords (most likely my technique, string doesn't buzz when I single fret anywhere on the fretboard) and random buzzes when I'm trying to play normal, non practice speeds

The only other soprano I've played was a Martin S1 from a music store, which I've had no issues like this.

Do you think it might just be the difference between concert and soprano?
Maybe a set-up uke requires more precision as the action is set lower, etc?
Maybe I just need more time with the instrument?
Maybe all of the above?

I'm pretty new to the world of ukes, so any input or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Heh, heh. Probably all of the above. :)

I've been playing for a while, and guitar for a long while, and I still sometimes get a bit of sloppy-sounding chords when I first change to a different scale length after playing another for a long time.

You may also be strumming much harder than you need to, or be striking the strings at an angle making them vibrate more in the vertical plane. You can get away with that with a high action but with a lower action you need to be more careful about how you strum.

John

All of the above...plus different strings?

changed strings recently on my Tenor, from Aquila strings to much finer fluorocarbon strings...really like the new sound but the finer strings seem a bit less 'forgiving' than the acquilas...fretting with them needs to be a bit more precise

Top Bottom