Aloha from North Carolina

Sumpfhund

Reaction score
Aloha from coastal North Carolina. I am a ukulele noob, but not necessarily a music noob. I was a long time trumpet player - 15 years, then moved to 5 string banjo (Scruggs Style) – 4 years, and now to ukulele about a month. Long story short, my wonderful dog got really sick last summer, and due to financials I had to let go of my Alvarez Silver Bell banjo :(. A few months ago my roommate brought home a Fender U’Uku. I picked it up a few weeks ago and couldn’t put it down. I was taken with this little soprano ukulele and the fact that I miss making music. So much so, that I had the overwhelming urge to get a ukulele of my own.

I am privileged to live near the Ukulele Academy of NC and decided to pay them a visit. Spent a couple of hours strumming and picking almost every ukulele in the store. I left that day without a ukulele because I couldn’t decide. I took a week and thought about it, went in on my lunch hour, played a few again, but left with a used Lanikai SMP-TCA under my arm for a pretty decent price.

So now I am here, ready to absorb all that I can, and hopefully give back eventually.

I would love to spend a couple of hours at the Uke Academy. unfortunately, Raleigh is a little too far away to pop in on my lunch hour. :( Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the Underground! This is such a great place to learn. I love the Ukulele Academy of NC..its a bit of a drive from here .. but I try to get there a few times a year mostly for a Saturday Uke Jam. Kent is such a great guy. Make sure to join the Carolina Ukers forum group here..I think you need to be up to 10 posts first though. Nice to have you here. :)

Aloha Sumpfhund , don't know your name??

Welcome to the UU forums and the ukulele...Yes yes you are on the best uke forums online...woo hoo we have the most friendly and nicest members around offering great
advice happy strummings Yes there is alot of North Carolina members here too....one has a uke group too...:)

Welcome to UU, glad you joined us. Caroline beach music is great on a uke!

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Name is Gabriel btw.

I think I may take lessons at the Uke Academy. Not sure yet. This strumming thing is sorta new to me(not much strumming in Scruggs style banjo playing), and lessons might help.

Hello Gabriel btw. There are lots of free lessons and great videos on the main page of UU. If you decide to take some lessons at Uke Academy let us know what you think. Good luck.

Aloha and welcome Gabriel!!! You found a GREAT site!!!

Top Bottom