Adjusting from one uke size to another?

hibiscus

Reaction score
For those of you who play several sizes of ukulele, do your fingers adjust easily from playing one size to another? I'm particularly referring to the fret size differences. Do you find yourself playing one size more often that the others because they are more comfortable?
Thank you.

It's a lot easier than it seems like it should be. I usually prefer a tenor, but don't even notice a concert being different. Soprano can be a little tough for a few minutes, having to cram fingers or do different fingering because they don't fit. Baritone, though I don't play one often, is easy too.

I think the brain re-programs itself pretty quickly, and in a minute or two it's adapted to the new "normal".

Guitar is a different story. The string spacing being much closer, even on a classical guitar, along with the much wider fret spacing, plays havoc for a while, and I have to think about and watch my fingers on chords or notes that should be automatic. It takes me much longer to adapt than between ukes.

I switch fairly seamlessly from one size to the next. Scale length, size of frets, nut width, radius/flat finger boards... none of it makes much difference to me. The one thing I do notice is tension of the strings. Some times I prefer more tension, sometimes less. So, it's not really a preference, but its what I notice most.

If I've been playing one size a lot and then switch to another my chords will be a little sloppy for a few minutes, but not a major issue.

John

I switch fairly seamlessly from one size to the next. Scale length, size of frets, nut width, radius/flat finger boards... none of it makes much difference to me. The one thing I do notice is tension of the strings. Some times I prefer more tension, sometimes less. So, it's not really a preference, but its what I notice most.

This. (I'm glad i didn't have to type all that!)

I mostly play the the Soprano and Concert, I got a sopranino (11.6" scale) and my fingers felt really fat and clumsy. I was not confident with it at all. But I've had it two years now and I can play it in public with confidence (not every song, but most songs).

I'm a strict soprano-guy now, but have owned and played all sizes. I could never get used to the tenor and concert fretboards. Misfingering, cramps, etc. I tried for a year, but gave up as I got plenty of joy from my sopranos, and still do. Surprisingly I never had problems playing the bari, still confused about that.

I play them all, but prefer my concert scale. It takes me a little while to get used to the change, but that's probably because I need to play them all more often.

Thank you for responding. I have to "look" at my fingers on my concert, but I play the smaller ukes most of the time. The concert sounds great, though!

I have sopranos, concerts, tenors, baritones, tenor guitars and bass guitars.

I have never felt that I needed to adjust much between sizes... my hands play each size naturally.
I switch from one another with no issues.

I play all sizes but tenor and haven't found switching between them a problem with my fingers. The problem is when I'm playing between the baritone and the others and I play the standard C or F and get that "odd" sound and have to use the old (and I mean old) brain to think.

Play mainly soprano (the choice of gentlemen
I am told!) but switch to my concerts anytime
I fancy it,or to my tenor.No problemo!

Top Bottom