Amp recommendations for ukulele?

Ipcmlr

Reaction score
Any amp recommendations for ukulele that will retain the sound quality of my uke?

Great Phil...now I gotta save money....I love playing amped up! (But NOT singing)

Yeah, I have a porchboard I want to use while playing my uke, maybe my harmonica. lots of inexpensive acoustic amps have only one input. Those two 8" speakers sound unbelievably good for the money.....like a much more expensive one.

The Roland AC series is great. I have the AC-90 and it's super clear and LOUD. The chorus is to die for as well, if you like effects. The Fishman stuff is bomb, but I don't have much first-hand experience with it.

in any case make sure it's an acoustic amp - the rest is only a matter of personal preferences and budget. I like my Roland mobile AC esp. for it's portability, it almost fits in my pocket (and runs on standard batteries when necessary).

How much $$$ you want to spend? I have a Fishman mini loudbox....the uke sounds like a uke!!! Got it for $275.

For versatility, we use the Roland Cm-30. It has 2 mic inputs and an aux input. We don't really use it for our ukes though. We use it for backups from a netbook (need to have an external soundcard). It has plenty of volume and we've used it at some churches. We also have the Roland Micro cube. It is ac powered or does pretty good on 6 AA batteries. It's mainly a guitar amp though and has some different effects choices. It only has a single input. We've used it for backups also, but the sound quality is not as good as the Cm-30 that we paid $175 for.

I considered buying an amp as well. Instead i purchased a plug for my ipad/ iphone. Garage band is an awesome app. Very versatile . Now I can play in my headphones or plug into any external speakers. This configuration would be even better with an actual amp too. Good luck with your search!

Check out the Dean Markley (Ultrasound) AG15. Perfect for acoustic instruments; many guitar players swear by it.

Yeah, I have a porchboard I want to use while playing my uke, maybe my harmonica. lots of inexpensive acoustic amps have only one input. Those two 8" speakers sound unbelievably good for the money.....like a much more expensive one.

The single input only bothers me a little also---Like on our Roland micro cube. We use it for backups on gigs rather than plugging our ukes in, but if we want to have 2 inputs (my wife's mic'd flute and also a netbook), we have to use our Roland cm-30 cube.--which has plenty of power. We do like the battery power feature on the micro cube though.

Thanks, Pikagirl, that's an excellent and comprehensive review. The reviewer is very accomplished, too.

p.s. We actually have real pikas about 50 miles east of here.

I actually jam out on an old 15 watt Crate amp. Sounds great and I can get some awesome Santo and Johnny tones with it with the ukulele. I got it second hand with a guitar from an old friend from High School. He's into heavy metal and all the gear, including the amp, I assume were for metal. But it works great. To me, on the clean channel I keep the uke sound, but on the dirty channel it has that nice 50's/60's tone.

Top Bottom