Tenor Uke Fingerstyle and Jazz - Koa vs Mahogany

shawnparslow

Reaction score
Hey folks, one year ago I purchased my first Uke - A mahogany Collings UT-2 and it was awesome. I mainly play Jazz guitar and had to come up with funds for a custom archtop build and foolishly sold the UT-2 (because I had an offer that had no loss associated with the re-sale). I told myself if I end up missing the Uke I can always get another one so here I am a few months later ready to buy a Collings Tenor uke again.

I tried to play as many Ukes as I could but Collings is the only higher end brand I could get my hands on and I took the mahogany because it was the only thing available at the time.

I know I prefer the tenor size/length being an archtop player - the concert size is just too cramped for my taste. I have played Koa vs mahogany in other instruments but with that said I find the builder/build makes more difference in tone than the wood.

I was really happy with a mahogany UT-2 but now I have the option of either a mahogany UT-2 replacement or a UT-2K for a couple hundred more.

For fingerstyle and jazz is there one that will be a little sweeter? Is one considered better for strumming and one better for more complex playing style?

Let me know what you think. I am half thinking I should go for the Koa just to try something different but I am worried it wont be as full/deep as the mahogany.

Speak to me...

I play this style with Koa and Mahogany tenor ukes. The mahogany ukes are a little more subdued, more midrange, and the koa ukes are a little more lively, more high end. Usually just depends on what mood I'm in.

If you are in an area, or will be heading to one, where you can play different ukes I'd try that. Or if you can swing it look for a nice Koa & a Nice Mahogany Tenor uke :) Can get some great deals in the Marketplace here. May be able to get 2 for the price of a new UT2.

Of course, it all comes down to personal preference, but for what you're describing, I would lean towards mahogany.

Also, if possible, I would make sure I knew what I really wanted before spending the amount of money needed to get a UT2 or UT2K!

Thanks for the info guys, I really am just planning to stick with the UT2 because I have the budget and really enjoy the finest in purchasing instruments. I am sure I could get something comparable for less but at least with the Collings I have played it and know it sounds/feels/looks the way I want. I have actually owned 7 other Collings instruments in the past so I also am sort of a fan of their shop. If I found a comparable tenor I would be open to trying it but I just have a 1 week old baby in the house (sort of what sparked me to want to get back into playing Uke) and do not really see myself getting out.

I enjoyed the UT2 I purchased and lost no money in re-selling it so I look at it as if I still have the money from that sale sitting in my savings account.

There was nothing wrong with the Mahogany - I really liked it. If anything the only downer was it was almost more of a pleasure to hear someone else play it since it sounded better pointed at me then it did to me while I played it.

I was steering towards the Koa because of the looks and the urge to try something new but for fingerstyle and jazz perhaps the mellower mahogany is the way to go where the glassy snap i hear in the koa samples might not be ideal. I don't know - I probably would be fine with either.

i would suggest talking with John Kinnard and checking out his Ukes he is building. He can offer choices on different woods that might make a big difference for you-the cost is extremely moderate and his building skill is top shelf-trust me, his instruments are really something else. they note clear and smooth everywhere-the neck is absolutely wonderful.
known for being a master luthier behind the Dell' Arte Instruments brand, i think he would have you all fixed up in a nick.

http://johnkinnard.com/gallery.html#UKULELE
http://www.kinnardukes.com/

Here's another vote to stick with Mahogany for Jazz playing. It will give a more traditional jazz sound anyway. Koa for the more traditional, sparkly ukulele sound.

Anthony

I have the Collings UT2 and from what you indicate we are wanting to play a similar style, I absolutley love it's sound. I never played guitar and my only other Ukulele was a Fender Nohea tenor. When I first began I saw vrery little difference between my Fender and a higher end Uke. As my ability improved the difference is significant. I think the Collings mahogany tenor is exactly suited for what I want to play.

Remember, your string choice will affect the sound too. For example, Worth Browns will sound more mellow on the Koa than Worth Clears. But I would lean to the Mahogany for the mellow.

Thanks for your input UU'ers. My gut was telling me to stick with the Mahogany that I was already happy with rather than risk spending more on something that I might ultimately have to unload for mahogany. Jazz guitar tends to be warm/mid-rangey with rolled off tone so those of you nodding towards a mahogany recommendation - it makes sense to me in the context of jazz guitar. Of course in tone there is no answer.

I will try a baritone again, last time I played one it just didn't seem to have the presence of the tenor in a room. It would be killer to record or amplify (or even play in quiet) but the tenors higher frequency just made it stand out as a uke a little more to me where the baritone almost crosses over into a parlor nylon sound. The first thing that always draws me to Koa is looks.

Lastly, thanks for the http://www.kinnardukes.com/ recommendation. I am familiar with Dell' Arte gypsy jazz guitars so this looks like a nice alternative to consider.

I see right now he has a brand new walnut that is a 300-400 cheaper than a comparable Collings, I may have to call and have a chat this PM ...YUM:
3449f8dee9db0c411e4dcdfddf6d999f.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom