Learning to Fingerpick

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought...

1) Start with simple tabs and play until you get the hang of it.
2) Do fingerpicking exercises and ignore tabs.

Who is right?
What resources should I use for each method?

Thank you

What is your goal?

If you want to play chord melodies (a la Jake) I'd say #1.

If you just want to do fingerstyle accompaniment instead of strumming I'd say #2.

There's a sticky thread on reading tab in the Tabs forum, also Ukulelehunt has some tutorials and the Dummies book also has some good stuff.

Good luck with it. :)

As with most things uke, there is no right or wrong. ;)

I don't read tab. I usually work things out by ear. I listen to recordings of songs I want to learn and play along, working out parts and committing them to memory.

There is a book (Hal Leonard) called "Fingerstyle Ukulele" that really has in my opinion a very good method of developing fingerpicking patterns. It presents a 1 or 2 bar pattern and then has a song that uses it from beginning to end. I think this is a great way to go about learning because you never stray too far from making actual music (in the context of a song) and get to thoroughly develop the pattern at the same time. It has a CD too. Also it has notation and tab and chords. It works with quite a few different styles and patterns as well. Check it out, you might like it.

I can't remember how I learned to fingerpick...I only know two patterns so far....I think a friend showed me one and the other one came off of You Tube...but I pick right off the tabs....it works fine for me, so far.

Both schools of thought are right (except the ignoring tabs bit).

There is a book (Hal Leonard) called "Fingerstyle Ukulele" that really has in my opinion a very good method of developing fingerpicking patterns. It presents a 1 or 2 bar pattern and then has a song that uses it from beginning to end. I think this is a great way to go about learning because you never stray too far from making actual music (in the context of a song) and get to thoroughly develop the pattern at the same time. It has a CD too. Also it has notation and tab and chords. It works with quite a few different styles and patterns as well. Check it out, you might like it.

I find 2 different Hal Leonard books. "Fingerstyle Ukulele" by Fred Sokolow and "Kev's Quickstart Fingerstyle Ukulele". Both have CDs which one do you have in mind?

My two bobs worth. Start with patterns. You can move on to tabs later. Tabs will make much more sense when you have a few patterns down pat first. Its about rhythm.

Anthony

I'm currently working with Mark Nelson's book/CD Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele.

I am using this book as well.....it is very good!!

Mark Nelson's book/CD Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele~ Highly Recommend!

Perebourik, Thanks for the timely thread. (That's where I am right now)
Thanks to everyone for the Book/CD recommendations as well. Being able to hear repeatedly what I'm trying to learn is very helpful for me.

I'm learning finger picking first and chords later. Well, I learn chords, too, but I like finger picking more. Oddly enough, people tend to accuse me of not having enough fun when I say I'm learning this way. *shrug*

These books and links look really good, thanks for sharing, guys!

Perebourik, Thanks for the timely thread. (That's where I am right now)
Thanks to everyone for the Book/CD recommendations as well. Being able to hear repeatedly what I'm trying to learn is very helpful for me.

Thank you. It's the new frontier.

Top Bottom