Armchair Philosophy ...

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
Dos ukes3.jpg

Some armchair philosophy here, just because I should be working but don't feel like it …

One can get into things like fate and destiny and all and argue for or against them, but it is sometimes interesting how you start down one road and look up of a moment to realize you are on another, and unexpected path.

When I started into uke-ery, I did it (I thought) reasonably. I found a good, cheap, entry-level instrument. (A Mainland tenor in mahogany.) That way, if I didn't like it, I wasn't out much, and even if I couldn't sell the thing, I wouldn't lose major money.

But, of course, I did like it, so I immediately started looking for a way to upgrade, to get the perfect uke at a price that wouldn't break the bank. I wanted another tenor, and I was willing to do the research to find it.

I joined UU, I cranked up Google, I asked musicians I knew.

After a time, I found a couple of local luthiers who, upon examination, seemed to have good reputations and well-liked instruments at a reasonable price. That was the way to go, I figured. Support the local folk and get a good deal, what's not to like?

I tried to contact 'em.

First guy didn't respond to email or paper mail at all. I knew somebody who knew him, asked him to see what was what, but no go. Never heard a word.

Well, life can get busy and complicated, I wasn't in his shoes, and there you go.

The second guy did respond, but wasn't particularly interested in hearing what I had to say. I asked about features, mentioned some tone woods, and he allowed as how he wasn't going down some roads, and I could almost see him shrug. Eh.

Generally when given a take-it-or-leave-it attitude that demonstrates somebody doesn't really care what I think? I leave it. If you are going to order something custom-made, you should at least be able to tell them what you want, and why. They can explain why, in their experience, that might not be a good idea, I am okay with that, but ...

So I smiled and nodded, and went looking elsewhere. I won't bore you with too much detail. How I came to own the Woodley White Pu'uwai 'ukulele was happenstance. I went to an instrument show, not intending to buy anything. I played several nice ukes, came across Reverend White, who had a table, and I thought the White in koa had a far and away better tone than some I tried that cost a lot more. It was used, and at a really a good price. So I got it.

Bought and traded a couple more, nice machetes, but then I wrote Alan Carruth a note wherein I wondered if he had ever made any ukes, since he had some years past built a really nice classical guitar for me. Turned out he had made a couple. Turned out one was available since the deal had fallen through. Turned out it was almost a match for my guitar. And his asking price was embarrassingly low. Turned out I couldn't pass it by.

In both cases, I wound up with instruments that reflect years of building fine instruments. Both of them have qualities I love–sound, set-up, playability. The Carruth is at the bright end of the spectrum, far opposite from the warm-and-woody White, but now I have both covered, and I can't imagine I could find anything nearly as good for what I paid, which, in both cases, were outstanding bargains.

Neither time did I expect to find myself buying these, but sometimes, you go with the flow, and where it takes you is a joy. My UAS is, if not cured, in remission ...

And I am really glad those first two luthiers didn't want to do business. Fate? Coincidence? Divine intervention? Got me, but I'll take it.

Now the only thing holding my playing back is me, which is just how I like it ...

Steve

Last edited:
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing

Your last sentence haunts me, Steve.

Richard Bach wrote: "realize your limitations and they are yours."

I love the mystery of life and how the "unexpected" occurs. But remember, when it comes to any endeavor, don't predict your own future. You have no idea.

Top Bottom