Tenor top weight 60g

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Not sure how this compares to other builders in regard to weight but this is Tenor port orford cedar top at .070" with 3 fan braces and a POC bridge patch about 1mm thick fading to nothing at ends about 10mm from linings

pics 010.jpg

I don't think I've seen many weight measurements on ukulele tops before. 60g sounds light I guess....never really measured mine.
My tops are so light they tend to float up to the ceiling. Very annoying when one hits a light bulb and scorches :rolleyes:

I have a concert top, fully braced. I intend to weigh it, if it will balance on the platen of my scale.

Edit - now I am feeling obese, my spruce concert top weighs almost twice that much. I haven't cut the sound hole yet and it is a full rectangle (no waist) for a big 9" x 12" cigar box, but still. 110g!

Spruce, by the way. But the braces and bridge plate are cedar.

Last edited:
My recent koa soprano weighs in at 325 grams complete. I think that must mean the soundboard is well under 60 grams - do I get a prize?

8674787861_a1d1f473ef.jpg

Ooh ooh, deal me in. All redwood concert 291 grams.

photo.jpg photo2.jpg

I keep in on a string so it doesn't float away.

Ooh ooh, deal me in. All redwood concert 291 grams.

Sorry, no cigar - I mis-typed.

235 grams for my soprano. And it has metal tuners. I have a Kumalae which weighs about the same, so I suspect it's some magic property of koa (trapped helium bubbles?). I was worried I'd left my soundboard too thick, as it was still pretty stiff, but not so.

Fom my (very) limited experience, and the writings of real uke builders, appropriate stiffness seems to be the most relevant soundboard property, not weight. But of course, if the soundboard is of the right stiffness but is also very light, then the strings can work it harder resulting in more volume. But then you can take a denser top, make it very thin, put stiffness back with bracing, and so it goes ... so much to learn!

yep. right on.

Don't aim for lightness for lightness sake.

Stiff n light is optimal.

I have no idea if 60gm is alot or little or average for a tenor top.

I dont mind a weighty uke as a whole, unlike flamenco players which demand a 2 pound guitar

Top Bottom