Quarter sawing advice

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I need help finding someone to quarter saw some lumber for me. I have no tools to accomplish this, and I'm not an instrument builder. I would like to get one log I have secured milled to send to a friend who builds ukes.

The log I acquired is Osage orange, and is about 15 inches in diameter and a bit over 3 feet long. It is straight as can be, and was harvested from the trunk of a tree that fell over.

The local saw mills are telling me that they can't handle logs under 8 feet long, as they can't clamp them into the mill. Is there another way to do this? Should I be looking for other resources other than saw mills?

What other sort of folks should I seek out in an effort to get this quarter sawing done? If it matters, I'm located in western New York. Thanks for any advice you can offer....

If that does not work out, see if there is a woodworking program at the local community college. A log that size could be split into quarters wedges and a maul then milled up on a large bandsaw.

If you have not done it already, a green log needs to have the ends sealed so that the loss of water doesn't cause the log to develop lots of end cracks.

There also might be someone with a small bandsaw mill who could handle something like that.

You might want to see if there is a woodworker's supply or wordworkers forum in your area. they might be able to provide leads.

I would venture to say that unless this log has sentimental attachment that buying properly cut and dried Osage might be a better idea. Having said that, I would try and do exactly what you trying to do.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to post a want on Craigslist.

Last edited:
If you aren't worried about some loss you can billet it up in two inch thick slabs with a chain saw, seal the ends and let your buddy the maker deal with it.

I saw a wood working show how the amish uses a slide guide track and a stationary chain saw...sort of very basic I guess...

for a piece that small, a mid size smallish bandsaw is all you need, nothing fancy and no magic. That is an easy task. Make a sled for the log, and run it through to split it in half. 4 carefully placed screws through the sled into the log, and a flat bottomed sled will leave a usable plane to reference off of, then a piece of plywood screwed to each half to quarter it, leaving 2 square edges, 4 quarters ready to saw into billets or slats. If the log is still green, you might be careful about cutting it too thin, and sealing the ends is definitely a good idea. When I am concerned about freshly milled wood losing moisture too quickly, like with some dense expensive exotics. I will mill it, coat it in shellac, seal the ends in paraffin, and put it on the rack for a long sit. More or less shellac, depending on the wood, and whether it is then placed in a plastic bag. After time, the shellac can be sanded off, and the wood sits some more. This gives a nice controlled cure. Some woods will check and twist badly if they dry too quickly.

Get in touch with the folks at WoodMizer and see if they have a customer in your area. They make portable band mills. Also Baker who made my resaw...they have portable mills now.

If you're in the Rochester area, try Bob Cefalu at RC Tonewoods.

I am in the Rochester area, and I called RC Tonewoods. They apparently don't do any milling there, but buy their tonewoods pre-cut. They weren't able to help me, and said they had no one to recommend, either. The search continues....

Did you try Googling "sawmills near Rochester, NY"? I did, and I got this which looks promising:

http://oldmilllumber.com/contact.html

And see their portable band mill here:

http://www.oldmilllumber.com/

That is the perfect saw for your job.

and:

http://www.dugancreeklumber.com/Services.html

and:

http://wnyhardwoods.wordpress.com/

Just ask Google!

Old Mill Lumber and WNY Hardwoods are the two who told me that the log I want milled is too short for their machine to hold. They said the minimum length they can cut is eight feet. I have not tried Dugan Creek Lumber, but I will. Thanks, Rick!

Old Mill Lumber and WNY Hardwoods are the two who told me that the log I want milled is too short for their machine to hold. They said the minimum length they can cut is eight feet. I have not tried Dugan Creek Lumber, but I will. Thanks, Rick!

Just tried Dugan Creek Lumber, and had no luck. They said, "No, we don't do that." I think their interest is in logging operations....

Can the log section be screwed to or hot melt glued to a backer board and then sawn?

I've done that on my Baker resaw, and while it's not easy to quarter saw that way (though you can get a couple of slices, one on either side of the center line), it may work. Worst case it lets go and you eat a blade.

If you did that, you could probably mill it on a large conventional bandsaw, too. Someone must have one near you.

Here, by the way, is a video of the type of machine I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0v-27f4KI

Mine is the slightly larger AX model, and I don't have the power conveyor return. I run the feed a lot slower than is shown for most of what I do with the harder woods.

Wow, that's fast work! It's hard to figure out exactly what's going on, but I'm guessing they're not quarter sawing....

Top Bottom