What size case do I have here?

seonachan

Reaction score
I got a couple of Pro-Tec hardfoam cases on the UU marketplace a little while ago, both billed as baritone sized but one slightly smaller than the other. The bigger one is a perfect fit for the baris I have (Lanikai & Pono), but the smaller one is just a bit too narrow in the lower bout for them to fit. Length is not a problem. So I put my tenor in and it's an ok fit re: the lower bout (a little wiggle room but not bad), but the body length space is too big and the uke can slide lengthwise a couple inches. Also, there's plenty of extra room at the headstock. So it doesn't seem suited for a tenor either.

Here are the dimensions (approx, according to the measuring tape):

lower bout: 9.5-9.75 inches
body length: 13 inches
total length: 30 inches

So my question is, what kind of case is this? I know there are shorter-scale baris (19"), but are they also smaller bodied? Or is this case for a completely different instrument (viola maybe)?

smcase1.jpgsmcase3.jpg

Super Tenor perhaps ?

It could indeed be for a super tenor, though I thought those had tenor necks on bari bodies? This seems designed for a bari neck on a tenor body, or something. I've added a pic with a tenor in it to give a sense of the extra space. The lower bout width is fine but there's room for more body length and neck length. I guess I'll just consider it a roomy tenor case.

smcasewuke1.jpg

Top Bottom