Ukulele humdifiers

ukulelelearner

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So in the winter time, my ukulele had some humidity problems. It never stayed in tune and the pegs often slipped when I tried to tune them up, because of a lack of humidity in the air.

So, I have started making my own humidifiers for $4 total (THIS INCLUDES SHIPPING!). This is really cheap compared to many of the ones out there and does just as well as a job, I've tested both.

Please let me know if you're interested and I can further explain. Thanks!

Happy Strummin' :)

I bet we're making the same humidifiers.

Small plastic containers from Family Dollar-Six for $1.50
Bag of sponges-$1
Hole punch-$1

Humidifier01.jpg

Use the hole punch to make holes in the lid of the container.

Humidifier02.jpg

Humidifier04.jpg

Cut sponge to fit inside the container.
Wet the sponge, wring out excess water.
Snap lid on.

Humidifier03.jpg

I've been doing this for a couple of years and have never had an issue. I put one in my uke bags, around 4 in my acoustic guitar case.

I've been making my own out of plastic glitter tubes (one advantage of having grandkids living with you is there is rarely a shortage of empty glitter tubes) filled with the "water crystals" you can find in the garden section at Lowes or what have you. Very cheap and they slip right between the strings in the sound hole and don't leak or drip even when fully charged.

It only takes about 1/8 teaspoon of dry crystals per tube so I expect that 1lb bag of them is going to outlast me by about a century... LOL

John

I plan to make some. I ordered absorbent polymer crystals to use in place of a sponge, since they are supposed to work better and last longer. I live in an arid region, and I know a wet sponge wouldn't stay wet for very long, so I thought I'd step it up. As for containers, I figure I'll take some empty tubes from work. I work in a lab and we use single-use plastic test tubes that just get thrown out, so I can clean them up and take them home. Don't worry, it's not the kind of lab with infectious diseases ;).

Top Bottom