Buying a Mya-Moe - New vs Used

shawnparslow

Reaction score
Hey folks, I think I want to try out a Mya-Moe tenor. I previously owned a Collings Tenor and would just like to try one of these out next.

With that said are these popping up fairly frequently? I do not have a very specific list of demands other than it be a Tenor with a nice character top.

I see quite a few have popped up used in the classifieds over the past couple months and they have also all sold fairly quickly.

If I sign up to get a new one its an 11-12 month wait but I would get to pick some specific things (though I don't really care and kind of like the see a picture before you buy approach since they are all so different).

Are these still pretty scarce or do they pop up fairly frequently here (or anywhere else that I should be looking)?

they pop up once in a while and go fairly quickly. I'd buy used if you want to see it first. usually can save some $ too. I too would like to try one.

According to Gordon, most Mya-Moes are not custom ukuleles but are instead built-to-order ukuleles. What that means (I'm sure Gordon explains this better) is that you get to pick the wood, binding, bling, headstock type, even strings, but you don't get to influence design elements that go to the fundamentals of the build, like bracing or body shape. The attraction to getting on the wait list (which was only 6 months when I ordered my first MM, #635) is working with Char to pick the wood sets (many of which are absolutely spectacular), headstock design, binding and rosette. Since you like seeing what the finished ukulele looks like before you commit, don't seem to have specific wood requirements other than that you like the way it looks, it may be best to grab up the next used MM tenor you like that comes along. As was mentioned, people sell them from time to time and they generally go fast.

Gordon and Char usually bring a few new completed MMs for sale when they go to festivals. Mya-Moe posts this list of festivals on its website, which also indicates the festivals Gordon and Char attend.

Last edited:
Thanks for your tips and insight everyone. Sounds like used is the way to go. If I check regularly then maybe I will find one in the next couple months.

I posted a WTB add in the marketplace (hopefully I do not attract too many scammers or spammers).

Myamoe has a 2 year original owner warranty, and they cover everything. Everything. Although not on their website, Gordon has made it clear that, within reason, he will help original owners longer than posted times.

People underestimate the value of warranties. If AppleCare is $250 for a $1100 MacBook, which it is, then the value of warranty on a more expensive uke is at least that much.

People underestimate the value of warranties. If AppleCare is $250 for a $1100 MacBook, which it is, then the value of warranty on a more expensive uke is at least that much.

I spent several thousand for an extended warranty for a Japanese car...never used it...I will definitely buy extended warranty for an American car!

According to my stats keeping up on this site, Flea Market Music and ebay, there are 1-3 used Mya-Moe ukes available per month.

Big difference between one and three. And, I think it is closer to one.

Top Bottom