do the youtube ads bother anyone else?

strumsilly

Reaction score
or am I just getting to be a cranky ol man?.I like to listen to the playlists, and to stop the ads I have to stop what I'm doing or just put up with it. good grief.

I hate them and I am neither old nor a man. Whether or not I am cranky is up for debate. I find the interjection of an ad into my youtube enjoyment to be very abrasive, like my ears are being assaulted. In fact, I probably hate them more than you do.

Short of paying for a subscription, what can you do? Little way for it to be free otherwise.

It can depend on your browser.

Some present you with a veritable deluge of retail opportunities. It really does spoil the enjoyment.

Viewing through Firefox with ad-blocking on gives a reasonably ad-free experience.

I thought only the you tubers that choose to monetize had ads.I think you get a few cents per hit

I think this is right. No ads on my channel anywhere as I didn't sign up to that agreement.

As to your question Andy, I detest ads fullstop. That's why I refuse to watch any commercial tv. I am also at the point where, unless it's something I desperately want to watch on the youtube, I won't watch anything prefaced by a 15 second advertisement.

Some of the ads are the result of 'third party content matches' - the copyright holder chooses to monetize your video rather than forcing you to take it down. This has happened to a handful of my covers and it's annoying.... though it's the cost of doing business, I guess. We're all infringing copyright and sharing it around the world with no personal cost every time we post a cover to YT, so I guess it's a trade off. Though the ads - especially when you can't 'SKIP AD' after 5 seconds- drive me nuts as well....

Some of the ads are the result of 'third party content matches' - the copyright holder chooses to monetize your video rather than forcing you to take it down. This has happened to a handful of my covers and it's annoying.... though it's the cost of doing business, I guess. We're all infringing copyright and sharing it around the world with no personal cost every time we post a cover to YT, so I guess it's a trade off. Though the ads - especially when you can't 'SKIP AD' after 5 seconds- drive me nuts as well....

Thanks for this info Bill, I didn't realise that. You make a good point mate.

every time I watch a certain members videos, I get an ad. I seldom see one in any others. coincidence?

No coincidence mate. I'll stand corrected, but I'm assuming it's because they've signed up to the 'become a youtube partner' agreement.

They bothered me for the first few days that YouTube had them, then I just learned to accept them. They're not going away anytime soon...Unless YouTube releases some YouTube Plus option that you could sign up and pay for, and then all ads would disappear. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

It's the price we have to pay for having a free resource and for being able to upload covers of copyright songs. IMO, it's a small price and after a time, I find I just don't really notice them.

apparently , you if you become a "youtube partner:, people who watch your vids get ads and you get a few pennies.. I guess if millions watch your vids it might be worth it. I would rather pay for the service and skip the ads, which I plan on doing , I'll skip the vids with ads.

just had a thought, what ifall seasonistas became "partners" there would be as many ads a vids. yikes!

Last edited:
you can only choose to have your videos shown ad free, if 100 per cent of the material is completely your own - your own audio, your own video, and if there is a song, you have to have written it yourself. if anyone else has the copyright on any of it, ads can go up. i think youtube must have some kind of automatic searching for copyrighted material - the first nanasecond the youtube robot "hears" a bit of a tune that sounds even a little bit like something it has marked down on it's giant database as copyrighted - BANG - up go the ads and it's not you that gets the halfpenny profit from that, it's youtube and the copyright holder.

is it the ads that show on the page, the animated wotsits, that vex you? or when youtube plays an ad before the video you want? or both??!! if it's ads on the page you can get around that a bit by viewing the vid full screen so you lose all the other piffle on the page. if it's the ad that plays before the vid you wanna see starts, you can sometimes click "skip" it after about 3 seconds or something. but yeah sometimes they make you watch the whole ad, in which case all you can do is turn the volume off and whistle dixie 'til it's all over!

they can - and frequently do! - stick ads and vids on everyone's videos - you don't have to be a partner

Last edited:
it only happens if you watch the playlist,these are audio/video commercials, and only happens with a poster that has said he is a" partner," we discussed this off forum. watch almost any season playlist, you'll see it.

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

google is an advertising company
google bought You Tube long ago because their own video service failed
now You Tube ads are increasing

Google bought the Wayz GPS service lately.
Now (I first noticed tonight) Wayz has pop up ads when you stop at a light (google maps still dont)

Free isn't free
Free is just paid for in a different way

You Tube badgered all of us to sign on and profit from ads on our videos
most of us didn't
now they're pushing the content owner envelope to put ads on anyway

I've only recently gotten content owner notices on a few videos.
I just take them down.

Thankfully (to me) having an ad doesn't detract from the awesomeness of any seasonista videos.
I might not sit through them for other things but I'll listen to you my friends as often as I can.
You folks make me happy in a way the pop divas never can.
I mean seriously, TCK's version of that Titanic song is majorly wonderful and I have never willingly listened to the original outside of once in a movie theater.

Love,
Alan

having the ads stop me from enjoying listening to the playlists. the only commercial that comes on is from a member that has partnered. it has stopped me from listening and is souring me from the seasons. we don;t have to willingly buy into it. you don;t have to partner and if they force us there will be alternatives.

Last edited:

I agree with Bill that we are doing songs that we didn't get permission for. It's a small price to pay to watch videos.

Top Bottom