What's everyone using for strings these days?

Howie1947

Reaction score
Any thoughts on GHS strings?

I love GHS strings! A set sounded great and felt terrific on my Kiwaya KS-0P for months and months.

I also like Kamaka strings, D'Addario strings, Ko'olau Mahana, and Ko'olau Gold strings. Generally, I prefer the depth and mellowness of nylon strings to the brightness and sustain of fluorocarbon strings.

Haven't tried GHS yet -

Living Waters on my Baritone - probably keep playing these forever,
Martin on my Soprano - they get the job done
Oasis on the Concert - I like these a lot, almost as much as the Living Waters
Fremont Blacks on my Tenor - a little too much tension for me.

Depends on the uke.

I have Fremont Blacklines on my Talsma custom, Martins on my Banjolele, and Worths on the Bari, 8-string, and Koa soprano. I prefer southcoast light mediums for the Bari, so those will come back soon, but otherwise, that's where I stand.

I also like Aquila for the right uke. On a laminate, I feel they really sing.

I didnt like ghs soprano strings they were to bendy for me. I have D'addarios on my tenor right now and they seem pretty good about same as the Aquilas to me think I liked Aquilas a little more. Gonna try Hilo strings next then maybe ghs tenors

I'm using Southcoasts on my Baritone and Tenor, and Aquilas on the smaller ukes. Really like the southcoasts, and the feel of Aquilas.

Currently Aquila Concert strings on all my sopranos. It gives a little more tension and volume compared to Aquila Soprano strings.

Aloha M,
On certain ukes yes...I have slapped them on my harmony baritone and she amazed me how good they sound....Oasis are probally my most favorite strings right now....lots of volume and sweetness,balanced tone and good string feel....

Fremonts and Ko'olau golds all the way!

The red aquila sets were okay too

While there are excellent ukulele string choices, anyone using some classical guitar strings other than Savarez, Oasis, D'addario ? Savarez are my current favorites.

How about classical strings from Hannabach, Augustine, Galli, ... ?

Galli, ... ?

I have a set of Galli bionylon strings on my blackwood Tenor, I quite like them. Similar feel to acquilas but they ring a bit clearer and don't have that boomy, dominant C string thing going on. Nice feel too. They weren't a deliberate choice, I wandered in to a local music store and they were they only re-entrant tenor strings the guy had.

I've only had 3 different brands of strings on my Lanikai LU-21C. Aquilas were kind of dull and a bit muted. D'Addarios were terrible, very noticeably worse on my uke than the Aquilas. Oasis strings brought my uke to life, a nice, bright and clear sound I really like. Oasis strings are keepers but I still have some Martins on deck that I haven't tried yet.

PhD low g on my KoAloha tenor and Living Water low g on my Kanilea. The Pineapple Sunday has KoAloha factory high g strings, and I never play the Kamoa or Kamaka so I don't remember what they have...I think the Kamaka has high g Living Water and the Kamoa has low g PhD but I am not sure.

Aloha M,
On certain ukes yes...I have slapped them on my harmony baritone and she amazed me how good they sound....Oasis are probally my most favorite strings right now....lots of volume and sweetness,balanced tone and good string feel....

just put a test set of Oasis on a sprucetop tenor.[thanks Dave] they are still settling in, but so far I lika them, remind me of Worths a lot.

We currently have ukes strung with Southcoasts, Worths (browns), Aquilas, and GCS fibre-cores.

My favorites at the moment are the Southcoasts. They sound good on everything we've put them on. I also appreciate being able to get strings for our variety of sizes and tunings from a single source.

1 tenor with low G Aquila's unwound low G , 1 tenor with wound low G Aquila and Oasis strings on my cheapo Eddy Finn tenor which has really brought it to life .

Don't care for GHS. Am currently using Worth Medium Browns on most of mine. Exceptions being: Low G Fremont Blacklines on my Lanikai Spalted Mango Tenor (Like the higher tension), Clear Worths on my new KPK Pineapple (came stock) and just tried a set of D'Addario Titaniums on my KPK Concert. My semi-newly acquired Lanikai O-8 still has the stock Aquilas but I plan to switch to Worth Browns when I need to change stings.

Note: just ordered Worths for my 8-string. Only come in Clear from Elderly.

Last edited:
PHD low G for me. Trying some Southcoast smooth wounds soon.

Top Bottom