Southern Cross banjo Uke (Based on the Gibson UB2) #2

DPO

Reaction score
My latest banjo uke, maple laminate rim, American Ash neck with bound Rosewood fretboard and Rosewood headstock. Birds eye Maple Resonator. Planetary style geared tuners. Quality Canadian hardware. Genuine calf skin vellum head with Brass tone ring for that unique banjo uke sound
"English Mahogany" dark stain finish.

Kind Regards
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 103
  • UB2.jpg
    UB2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Ub5.jpg
    Ub5.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 81
  • UB4.jpg
    UB4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 77
  • UB6.jpg
    UB6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 66
It looks beautiful! It would be interesting to know how the sound and the weight compares with a vintage Gibson UB2.....

Thanks Lesley. The size and weight are very much on par with the UB2, perhaps a touch heavier with a more substantial tension hoop and of course more hooks and more bracket shoes all add to the weight.
I believe the sound is very comparable.
Kind Regards
Dennis
PS I had one for sale recently on Andy's site which he personally valued at 750.00 GB Pounds.

Great Dennis. They should sell for £1000 - Andy is being far too conservative and I know how much those Canadian fittings cost. Go to John Cross's site and see what Phil Davidson is selling his interpretation of a UB2 for....

Now listed on the marketplace forum.

Regards
Dennis

It is a real signature. It is definitely hand written in pencil and old- It is being sold by my old boss, Gerard Gilet. I was playing it yesterday :)

Dallas made thousands of these banjo ukes, the "signature"is a facsimile of George's autograph stamped on the vellum
http://www.theukuleleman.com/index-page10.html
Some owners have been known to sign over the top to enhance the signature.
kind regards
Dennis

wow- good to know. thanks fo that info :)
Your welcome, many buyers of these ukes have thought that they have bought a bargain because of George's signature.
Your ex boss might want to consider changing the wording of his auction to avoid legal problems after the sale. :uhoh:

Best Regards
Dennis

Top Bottom