A question about selling and buying

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am 50 in August and I would really love to buy a ukulele to commemorate my age, however times are hard, so from the list of ukes in my signature, which ones would you sell to help fund a really decent mid to high end uke, I would really like your opinion on this one guys, because with the exception of my KoAloha Pikkake which I would NEVER sell, they all have sentimental value and bring back memories of my ukulele journey

look forward to hearing your views

kaizer :)

Happy upcoming 50th!

I can't answer your question, but I can ask a few. Make a list to answer each question:

Which of those eleven ukes have you not played this past week? For the past two weeks? Three?

One of the lists you just made is the list of ukes you should sell. If you're in doubt, start with the shortest list.

Last edited:
I would sell the ones where you can get the highest value back relative to how much you paid. If you're losing around 50% from what you paid, it might be better to keep it for the sentimental value.

Sell the one you don't play much. You will miss them less.

some really good advice guys I thank you, I was thinking along the same lines, my Mainland is my working uke and with its help I have raised a lot of money for charity and local community projects so I must also keep that bad boy, certainly food for thought though, keep the suggestions coming

Keep the mainland and koaloha and let the rest go....congrats on your 50th....maybe you need a 50th state premimum K brand ukulele.....

Keep the mainland and koaloha and let the rest go....congrats on your 50th....maybe you need a 50th state premimum K brand ukulele.....

that would be a great idea Stan, wish I had the Wonga mate, it would be a nice touch with Hawaii being the 50th State and me commemorating my 50th birthday, I like the way you think my friend

As someone who has sold almost every uke he ever bought I have no grounds to give any advice whatsoever Rich...he he, but I just wanted to say happy 50th brother, and thanks for all the great music and charity stuff you guys do.
:cheers:

A couple of thoughts - Flukes hold their value incredibly well because they are durable and also tend to attract players with less interest in a perfect finish... So you could probably get a good return on that one from someone in the know. Also, when I sold my Kala, I went through the local newspaper's online classifieds and got a good price from it - shipping wasn't an issue, so that also maximized return, and Kala is what they seem to sell in the local music stores so the local buying pool was well educated on them. I suspect a more obscure uke would be a harder sell on non-uke specific listing.

Congrats on the 50th and good luck with your decision.

Sell any of them that you can't clearly remember the last time you played them (not that you can't remember playing them, but that you can't remember, "Yes, I last played that one at Barnies two weeks ago Saturday" kind of thing).

That said, though, most of the ukes in your signature probably aren't going to bring much over about 50% of what you have in them so if you really do have fond memories of them all and do play them all occasionally then I'd just hang onto them and celebrate your 50th by putting aside whatever you can afford today as the beginning of your fund for the "end-all" commemorative uke that you will save all year for and buy around your 51st birthday...

John

It might help you with your selling decisions if you have a plan for preserving the memories, like taking pictures of each ukulele and recording the story of its significance on your blog.

I was initially sad when I decided to sell my starter uke, but I never played it. I found an owner (through local online classifieds) who was excited to get it, and I ended up being glad that I sold it--instead of sitting in its case, it is now teaching someone else how to play!

some great advice from you all, @Eugene thanx m8, John, you are probably right my friend, it pays to be patient and next year is as good as any lol, the Bari will be definitely going, the Clearwater will be on its way but with that I will give it away to someone who needs it, a friend of mine who is on a very low income is showing an interest in learning to play the uke so it will be winging its way to him as a gift, the Honu is sweet and I haven't made my mind up about that yet, the eleuke was bought from Mim and she set it up so well, it plays like butter, good point cantsing it would be rewarding knowing someone else will be using them to learn our wonderful instrument

thanx all

Richard

Top Bottom