trimming bindings to height (part2)

jcalkin

Reaction score
Liam, you started part 1 of this, which is now way back on page four. Here's pix of a simple table saw fixture for trimming binding to height. It indexes off a miter slot and the top end of the saw table. The blade is one I found stored at Huss & Dalton. Its 6 1/2", with many, many teeth. I don't feel that the specifics matter much, just whatever you might have on hand. This fixture is designed to cut random scraps into guitar binding. If it was for cutting guitar binding (.200" tall) into uke bind (.187" tall or less) it could have a small feather board to hold the binding against the fence. There's a tendency to make a slight nick in the binding when changing hand positions while cutting 30" long guitar pieces. A feather board would likely eliminate them, though its also likely that uke binding could be pushed through in one shot with no hand adjustments. If I required different sizes of binding I would make several fixtures rather than mess with an adjustable fence. The key to making these things quickly is to make a bunch of miter slot runners the first time you set up for it. I normally shoot for a tight slip fit, but in this case I used the green tape to make a jam fit so the fixture won't move. Since I wasn't actually cutting anything when I set up these pix I forgot to put the push stick into the pictures.

The stock sitting on the saw is typical of the junk I reclaim for binding material.

If your side material is overly wide its a lot easier to cut binding strips off it before cutting the sides to shape. I have a similar fixture that fits in the slot of a band saw table. I keep the jointer and band saw running if I'm alone in the shop. Just joint one edge and cut a strip, joint the edge and cut a strip, etc. Its a lot faster than using the table saw fixture, and the ragged side of the binding will be dressed down to the body of the instrument and doesn't have to be clean.binding sizer4.jpg bindin sizer3.jpg binding sizer1.jpg binding sizer2.jpg

Top Bottom