Epiphone Les Paul String recommendations please

camperman

Reaction score
I just ordered a Les Paul uke.
I hear great things about them but it seems to be a well known fact that the supplied strings need replacing.

Many people appear to use Aquila but I'd like to know what other brand of strings people have tried and what the findings are please.

Thanks
Ed

I've tried many brands of strings on that uke.
The best for me were Fremont blackline fluorocarbons.
I had my action adjusted low, so it handled a tenor set of those strings quite well.

Aquilas sounded quite dead on mine.

I'm using Living Water concert clear fluorocarbons and they are wonderful. You know the strings are good when you don't think about them. They just consistently play well and deliver wonderful tone.

I've just ordered some living water strings for mine so that's good to hear!

I don't hold high hopes for it acoustically anyway - but that's not really the point. :)

Zactly. But boy do do they rock plugged in. I'm impresssed!

Well the Living Waters arrived this evening and I popped them on straight away.
Obviously they're still settling in but the difference is immediately apparent. I'm not sure if it's a comment on how good these strings are or how totally rubbish the stock ones were but it sounds like a completely different instrument. It's never going to be as loud as a more traditional shaped uke but it's got a nice clear ringing voice now and plenty of bite. What were Epiphone thinking?

I also have Living Waters on mine. However, the most notable, positive change came when I changed out the plastic nut and saddle for bone.

I also have Living Waters on mine. However, the most notable, positive change came when I changed out the plastic nut and saddle for bone.

I was just about to say this - the nut especially is utter junk! Mine has started grabbing the strings and the sooner I can get rid of it, the better!

I've got a set of heavy weight Clifford Essex strings I might try once I've replaced the nut and saddle, but only until I order some LWS for it, along with all my others........

Top Bottom