View Full Version : What type of Tuning machines should I purchase for Martin Tenor Ukulele Circa 1965?

06-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Not sure what type of friction tuners to buy. The ones I have on now look like Grovers? Black knob etc. I certainly want something to match the hole of the peghead, without having to do any modification of the hole. I guessing the Grover Friction tuners for Banjo or Uke?

06-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Most vintage ukes have pegholes that are smaller than what fit current tuners.

06-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Um........................that sounds strange. About 3 yrs ago I had tuners replaced on one of my Martin Tenors that my wife had given me. They were old and hard to turn. They were the black kind looked like Grovers. Took it in to my local guitar shop. The were replaced with new tuners, identical to the old ones. He said nothing of having to drill or modify pegholes.

06-30-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure about the Martins hole width, or the Grover's diameter, I've never replaced Grovers on a Martin, but I've never worked on a vintage that didn't have smaller holes than "modern" ukes.

06-30-2013, 08:00 AM
I got some on ebay to replace the ones on a vintage Gibson. they worked fine and no mod was needed. I think they were Ping, but I'm not sure. measure carefully and you should be able to find some , there are a lot of people making them.