Need help identifying this uke

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
Aloha Capt.,
Bruddah mmStan brought this to my attention. My very first new uke had a similar end of fretboard, back in 1958. It had Spruce top too, wish I knew what brand it was, probably an import for sure but I loved it. Wish I had it today.
I designed my Wixom Tenor to resemble that uke.
OH, sorry I can't help you.............................Bo...................

Attachments

• B & D Special 010.jpg
    B & D Special 010.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37
Darn, I keep wracking my brain...but I can't come up with a name. I feel like I saw one of these with a label . However, mostly they just have a "Made in Japan" label inside the sound hole. I am sure Bo is right about the date. Wish I could help more. I think they are really cool. Is it a good player, do you like the sound?

No idea, but it's a pretty lil thing. Except for the fret board inlay it looks like something Bruko would build.

Thanks Bo, you have at least given me a a rough idea of how old it may be.

You're welcome Capt.
I loved the look and SOUND of mine and WISH I still had it or can find one like it.
Took it to school every day. Oh, did I mention it was a CHICK MAGNET? hehehe.........................Bo...............

Just got it in. It has a few issues but once I got it in tune the sound isn't bad even with the yellowed, dead strings. Top is definitely solid, pretty sure it's spruce. I'm fairly certain the backs and sides are solid rosewood. The canvas bag that came with it is in almost perfect shape.

Here are the issues:

1. I had to tighten the heck out of the A tuner so it wouldn't slip. I actually heard it creaking while the string was going slack. Anyway to fix this or should I just get some Grovers? I hope I don't have to replace the tuner because they look like the old Keystone tuners that Gibson used to use except they're solid plastic and white.

2. It smells...well, I guess like mildew is the only way I can think to describe it. Pretty sure before I adopted her she was stored in a basement or shed. How can I get rid of the odor?

3. Speaking of stinky, the inside of the canvas bag also stinks like mildew. I sprayed some Lysol inside of it and that seems to have helped. Would it be a bad idea the throw it in the washing machine then air dry it? Get it dry cleaned?

4. Tonight before I go to bed I'm going to glue a crack on the top. Tomorrow I'll clean her up and restring her (unless I end up having to order new tuners). I have a set of Worth Browns and a set of Martin M600's; what set would sound best?

If anyone has even a remote idea of what it is please let me know or if you know of someone who might be able to identify it.

Aloha,
Per ryanMFT, raw rice in the sound hole and tape it up. Swish it around and let it sit for a few days for the odor. Some suggested adding baking soda also. Use an opened box of baking soda in the bag and zip it shut for a few days, kinda like a refrigerator.
Good luck and enjoy it........................Bo..........

Here are some things you can try:(at your own risk, etc)

You can get rid of a lot of stinky by shaking some uncooked rice around the inside. maybe with some baking soda in there for a while first.

You can polish the outside too, to help with the smell.

You can try hand washing and brushing the case and sun drying it, inside and out, but I think it's always gonna smell a little. Store it separately

There's a way to disassemble and recondition/clean the old tuners, I've read it and forgotten it.

If you can hear a significant difference between any two sets of fluoro strings, you're ahead of me. Feel tends to be different though.

I hope it works out the way you want! Looks cool

I've used lemon oil on fisinhed surfaces of stinky instruments....it helps...

One mahogany uke that I bought used had a bit of a musty smell and it seemed to be getting worse. It has a MiSi and I didn't want to mess with rice and baking powder in it so what I did was take one of those flat square fold-over coffee filters and fill it with baking soda. Folded it up and taped it and hung it between the strings and it helped a great deal. Within a week no more smell.

I would just get rid of the canvas case, personally. I know collectors like them and it might have some value but with my wife's upper respiratory problems we just don't need 50 year old moldy canvas in the house... :)

John

I have seen a Ukulele identical to that, that was labelled inside as being sold by the "Royal Polynesian (hotel) - Honolulu, 2219 Kalakaua Avenue". I don't know when the Hotel closed down, perhaps one of our Hawaiian friends can help out here?, but this address is a shopping mall now. This doesn't solve the whole question of who made it but it should help with the date. To me it doesn't look like a 1950's Japanese made Ukulele either I would guess earlier

Top Bottom