how did you learn?

hybridnightmare

Reaction score
so guys, anyone learn through a class or just taught it to yourself?

Self Taught

Self Taught, Wtch youtube vids, and get chords or tab and play to the song.

Howlie Boy

learned fo first time in 4th grade ... like most of us from HI. Den neva play fo long time. In 2001, I wen get one el cheapo an started playing some tabs, den last year, I wen get one bettah ukulele afta finding Dominator's tabs, watched mo you tube stuff ... still learning :cool:

learned fo first time in 4th grade ... like most of us from HI. Den neva play fo long time. In 2001, I wen get one el cheapo an started playing some tabs, den last year, I wen get one bettah ukulele afta finding Dominator's tabs, watched mo you tube stuff ... still learning :cool:

man thats the same exact same thing for me! i took classes around fourth grade and just started playing again recently.haha
what a coincedence

When my parents went to philippines for vacation like 7 or 8 months ago i asked them to bring me a ukulele. So yeah i got one and its the one on the left on my avatar pic. I was jus starting to pick and strum at it, and I have no guitar experience whatsoever. Ha i wasn't going anywhere. But then i stumbled upon a video on youtube with danyo cummings and aldrine guerrero referring ukulele beginners to iamhawaii.com. Ever since then, I was hooked.

I can't really play, but what i know is all from aldrine and dominators tabs... im still developing.. Im not sure why its taking me so long to get a long with it but im sure when i take up guitar that it will improve my uke skills.

Schooled, but mostly self-taught. - playing music since 10. Brought up on the piano, played guitar, been in many bands. Ukulele- schooled through private, semi-private instructors, attended many ukulele workshops & festivals, traveled for events. Jammed with many. I remember taking a workshop from Jake S at the Kahilu Theatre up in Waimea many years ago. Jake was just a kid then. There were only about 7 of us gathered around in a circle. We each played 1 song for Jake and then he critiqued us on our particular style. Later that evening got a chance to be on stage and play behind Jake, Ledward, Ozzi Kotani & Gordon Mark (kanikapila style). That was a nice experience.

Self taught, chord chart and playing songs that I already knew and finding chords from Chordie.com and changing the guitar tuning to Uke.

Self-learning. Bought a Fluke from a music teacher. Picked up Hideo "Heeday" Kimura's Books "How to Pick & Strum the Ukulele". Then discovered various internet sites for more help. The combination of no real talent & self-teaching is making this experience interesting & fun but at a rather slow rate to hopefully a better than mediocre level of skill.

Self taught like most everyone else has said. Started on youtube, found iamhawaii, dominators tabs, various chord charts and such. Most of my "ability" to play came from Aldrine's lessons and quick tips.

Like many people I learned from Aldrine's lessons on iamhawaii.com. It also helps if you played guitar for many years too.

Self taught like most everyone else has said. Started on youtube, found iamhawaii, dominators tabs, various chord charts and such. Most of my "ability" to play came from Aldrine's lessons and quick tips.

Aldrine's stuff on iamhawaii was exactly what it was for me. The tabs and chord charts were always there, but it was really those basic lessons that Aldrine put up there that got me started properly with the fundamentals.

Top Bottom