Soprano vrs Concert & Standard vrs Travel

SquireM

Reaction score
I've been playing my son's First Act uku for a few months. I'm still definitely very new, but know I like it enough to get a decent instrument and continue.

It seems like the soprano size is usually the most recommended for the beginner, with most people getting a concert or tenor as their second, and more played, upgrade.

Does it matter much? I feel like I'll be into the ukulele for a long time. Can/should I start with a concert?

At my local store I was taken with a Kala travel soprano. I was amazed at the huge sound coming out of such a small package. It was $280 which is way out of my price range, but neat to learn about. I was there this morning and was told that Kala is no longer going to make that specific model (Golden Acacia), so they were putting it on sale for $215, just over my price range (I was hoping to stay under $200). So very tempting.

I ran home and checked on the web. I can't find that model for any less than $250. While finding that out I stumbled on the concert travel model. Decisions decisions...

Thoughts?

You've got the right idea---play the ukes that are available locally, then buy the one you like best that's within your budget. Buying a concert or tenor uke isn't an "upgrade" from a soprano uke, it's a choice between three great options. Just play all the ukes at your local shop until you've got a good idea which size is most comfortable for you.

Opening up shopping to include the web will drastically increase your options, but you won't be able to play any of those instruments before purchase (this can lead to a pleasant surprise or an unexpected disappointment).

With your budget, you may also want to consider used ukes. I found on of my favorite ukes (a Kiwaya KS-0P which retails for about $285) on my local craigslist for $150. Enjoying your daughter's uke while familiarizing yourself with the used uke market could be a great way to go.

As stated above, go and try as many ukes as you can and buy the one that is most comfortable and in your price range. I started with a concert and then eventually got a tenor and most recently a soprano. I love playing all three, especially the tenor.

Thanks so much!
There is a Kala travel concert uku in the marketplace section. I'm trying to find the funds.
Thoughts on travel models?

"Kala" and "Concert" are usually two good words for a beginner, they do make some fine instruments. I don't have any experience with travel ukes (there's plenty of reviews out there in the web), but I am quite happy with the concert size. It gives me just that tiny bit of extra space on the fretboard to sort my big fingers properly - and once they know their places it is pretty easy to downsize to a soprano. (way easier than practicing on a soprano straight away)

I started with a tenor, then tried concert scale (and now have 3 concerts) and I recently got my first soprano. I am still getting used to the soprano, but personally for me I think I am most comfortable with concert scale. Maybe go to the shop you went to and play the different scales (try play some common chords) and see what you feel most comfortable playing :) .

Top Bottom